Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Sunday would make more sense. He could announce it officially to the Dekers, his biggest supporters.

(which is why it's not all that great of a April Fools joke)
    Well I had to try for April Fools since everyone in Columbus believes Michigan fans are suckers for a joke.
    After all, your school DID hire Rich Rodriguez for your football coach and then paid millions to bail him out of his breach of contract with WV and need I go on how it all worked out?
    But hey, we've been pranked pretty good too, we hired Gene Smith to be our AD!

Comment

Apparently Red will return for next year.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        He wanted to top Gary Wright's (AIC) stretch. That's Red for ya. Dedicated to being the best.

(seriously, I do totally respect Red)
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
          And to make it official:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...040316aaa.html

Comment

Originally posted by mmb5 View Post
            His announcement at the Dekers banquet got him a nice long ovation.

Comment

Originally posted by mmb5 View Post
              And to make it "officialer"...

https://twitter.com/umichhockey/stat...518656/video/1
              Originally posted by alfablue
              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

I can hardly wait
                ---
                National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                19 Conference Championships
                10 Conference Tournament Championships
                2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

I like it that Red's returning. As I've said before he's one of the most respected figures in college hockey and I'll stand up for him if any other Buckeyes act disrespectful towards him!

Comment

It's still in the rumor stage but apparently Kyle Connor is coming back because Winnipeg won't play him on the big club next year. Nothing is known about Compher or Motte yet though.
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                      It's still in the rumor stage but apparently Kyle Connor is coming back because Winnipeg won't play him on the big club next year. Nothing is known about Compher or Motte yet though.
                      I'm never, ever going to ask a player that. Even though we could have yesterday.

Still, some of the implications that would have lead Red coming back suggest that Motte and Compher were key parts of that return. IF that is true, it would be pretty huge.

(and FWIW, Kyle Conner is a nice kid. Look forward to talking with him some more Friday evening)

(p.s.s. being a member of the Dekers is pretty nice. Lets you meet some really good kids if you want to. I'm a BIG fan of Sam Piazza- but mostly because of his degree and GPA)

Comment

I'm never, ever going to ask a player that. Even though we could have yesterday.

Still, some of the implications that would have lead Red coming back suggest that Motte and Compher were key parts of that return. IF that is true, it would be pretty huge.

(and FWIW, Kyle Conner is a nice kid. Look forward to talking with him some more Friday evening)

(p.s.s. being a member of the Dekers is pretty nice. Lets you meet some really good kids if you want to. I'm a BIG fan of Sam Piazza- but mostly because of his degree and GPA)
                        When I was in school there I knew all of the guys fairly decently but now I don't even go to many games. I still watch them on TV all of the time (or stream them in the rare occurence that they are not on regular TV) but no longer do I hang out with them. I'm too old for that now anyway. Heck, I was on the border even before. My favorite player that I knew of all time is Eric Nystrom. I started talking to him at The Touchdown Cafe (the current Blue Leprechaun) and he actually found 2 chairs and sat them right in the middle of the floor so that we ould talk for what seemed like 20-30 minutes. Al Montoya was cool too, actually everyone was for the most part. I still came around afte I graduated and before I moved and met Kevin Porter, who as it turns out is cousins with someone who I used to play baseball with when I was younger. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Tim Cook, that kid was awaesome. He is absolutely hilarious and very intelligent. Wow, this post is bringing back all sorts of memories. Jason Dest, Matt Hunwick, TJ Hensick, Matt Mayhew, Milan Gajic, Brandon Rogers, Mike Brown, Andrew Ebbet, Andy Burns, Reily Olson, etc. I could literally name them all. A few years later I met Chris Summers and he was cool. Too my astonishment I ran into Jack Johnson a few years ago in The Jug and he was really cool too. **** you alfa, now you've got me thinking about Michigan Hockey and the season just ended for us. There was nothing better than having a beer with the guys after the game talking about it.

I'm still not sure if I'll do Dekers yet, I do typically go when they have watch parties for games that are not on regular TV and can't be found online. For instance, I went to Revel & Roll to watch the BU game with them earlier this season. It's unfortunate that I get into the games too much to really be social during the games. And then if they lose (especially in heart-breaking fashion as was that game) I just sneak out right away and sulk back to my car.

On the CoY facebook page I was discussing with a few people how this past season was the most enjoyable since 2010 when Hunwick emerged. Not many current members of CoY said much because they were still in grade school then but some of the "more mature" people like us agreed that this past season was fun, not perfect but fun.

Comment

A handful of Dekers go to the watch events. I'd say maybe 1/10 or less. There were a lot of them yesterday.

BTW, if you donate to hockey at all, and now the only path is via the athletic department, you are a member of the Dekers by default. There is no more membership fee.

So if you do, join. And don't be like we are, or have been- been members for a LONG time, and only been to a handful of events. This has been my only path to meet any of the players and coaches, so for me, it's pretty nice. The only other time we met a lot was after Kevin won the Hobey in Colorado- as the entire team was on the concourse hanging out after that- so we talked to them for a long time.

Did you go to the Mn game? There were some COY there, and they had a great time talking to Jim Keough- who is the current president and former All American goalie. Really great guy!

Talking to Zach Nagelvoort and Sam Piazza- we pledged to them that we will go to the fall picnic.

On a related note to those two- quite a few of the team made the All Academic B1G team! They announced it yesterday, but I didn't note them. Except Zach and Sam. Very cool. The more we are involved in the Athletic program, the more I find that Michigan's academics was a pretty big deal in them coming. Or huge.

Comment

A handful of Dekers go to the watch events. I'd say maybe 1/10 or less. There were a lot of them yesterday.

BTW, if you donate to hockey at all, and now the only path is via the athletic department, you are a member of the Dekers by default. There is no more membership fee.

So if you do, join. And don't be like we are, or have been- been members for a LONG time, and only been to a handful of events. This has been my only path to meet any of the players and coaches, so for me, it's pretty nice. The only other time we met a lot was after Kevin won the Hobey in Colorado- as the entire team was on the concourse hanging out after that- so we talked to them for a long time.

Did you go to the Mn game? There were some COY there, and they had a great time talking to Jim Keough- who is the current president and former All American goalie. Really great guy!

Talking to Zach Nagelvoort and Sam Piazza- we pledged to them that we will go to the fall picnic.

On a related note to those two- quite a few of the team made the All Academic B1G team! They announced it yesterday, but I didn't note them. Except Zach and Sam. Very cool. The more we are involved in the Athletic program, the more I find that Michigan's academics was a pretty big deal in them coming. Or huge.
                            Yes, academics are huge at Michigan. Even if most of them end up going the general studies route. Of course as you know, not all do. Don't forget about Chris Fox, the most prolific Michigan Hockey player to date. You know the story, everything came around full-circle. If you, or anyone else doesn't here:

https://www.michigandaily.com/conten...ch-and-teacher

It's not just about Hockey at Michigan. Sure you get the periodic player who either doesn't care about academics or just isn't a fit for college (I'll withhold names for their protection) but academics are absolutely huge with Michigan Hockey. Coach Berenson takes academics very seriously.

A general studies degree from Michigan is still better than anything that you can get from sparty. Think about that for a minute....

Comment

A general studies degree from Michigan is still better than anything that you can get from sparty. Think about that for a minute....
                              Funny to say, but not true.

I'd hire an MSU engineer all day long. Even better if they are a bucknut.

While we'll take any UM engineer without a pause, I don't think a GS person would even get an interview.

Comment

Yes, academics are huge at Michigan. Even if most of them end up going the general studies route. Of course as you know, not all do. Don't forget about Chris Fox, the most prolific Michigan Hockey player to date. You know the story, everything came around full-circle. If you, or anyone else doesn't here:

https://www.michigandaily.com/conten...ch-and-teacher

It's not just about Hockey at Michigan. Sure you get the periodic player who either doesn't care about academics or just isn't a fit for college (I'll withhold names for their protection) but academics are absolutely huge with Michigan Hockey. Coach Berenson takes academics very seriously.

That is an off-the-charts ignorant thing to say, and if you are a general studies major at Michigan, that explains it.

Comment

Working...
                                X