Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by Khryx View Post
    Assuming I didn't miss anything, Michigan and UND have not played each other in hockey since Michigan left the WCHA except in tournaments (in season and post season). Anyone have any actual knowledge on why they don't schedule each other?
    It's too far for Michigan to travel.
    Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
    dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
    wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Well, that sucked.

Compher may have gotten two goals, but he got an assist to UND's second goal. And the CCM line was on the ice for most of UND's goals.

For the weekend, they were scored on at least 6 times, unless I missed one. For the best line in the country, that's terrible.

Passing was bad all night, too. Given that they figured out ND last night- the fact that they could do nothing, that was a mystery.
      I agree it sucked. I feel like this year's team has struggled back checking and has been notorious for lazy turnovers (usually resulting in a goal). UND capitalized on both of these aspects. Michigan adapted in the 2nd but UND adapted better in the third. I wish Michigan could have played them during the season. I don't ever see it happening but it would be fun for the two teams to be in the same conference again.

Regarding Compher's pass on the UND goal, I feel like Werenski could have done more to get in front of the UND player. Granted I think the goal still would have happened.

As for the CCM line, they shine when they can play a finesse game but I feel like they struggle when forced to play a physical game. I feel both regional games demonstrated this.

This brings me to my hope that everyone returns. I think the entire CCM line could improve with another season as well as Werenski. Could you imagine next year's team if they did? Congratulations to the team on a good season and returning to the NCAAs and not being a one and done like recent B1G teams.

Comment

Can't thank these seniors enough. Got the program back to where it should be. Winning championships and playing in tournament.

Something to build on next year. And finally some excitement headed into the season based on the one prior.

Who knows what this program will look like next season. Just hope and pray Jack LaFontaine sticks with his commitment and signs. Not sure about Nagelvoort being the answer at goalie.
        ---
        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
        19 Conference Championships
        10 Conference Tournament Championships
        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

4>2 simple Michigan math

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
            Interesting theory, have you heard anything to support it? And I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm actually curious. Michigan has played several non-conference games away since leaving the WCHA that are far away. Granted most are slightly closer than Grand Forks by plane.

I went back several years and had forgotten about the 2000 game in Ann Arbor (5-5). To support your theory, I don't see a reciprocal home game for UND.

Comment

Interesting theory, have you heard anything to support it? And I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm actually curious. Michigan has played several non-conference games away since leaving the WCHA that are far away. Granted most are slightly closer than Grand Forks by plane.

I went back several years and had forgotten about the 2000 game in Ann Arbor (5-5). To support your theory, I don't see a reciprocal home game for UND.
              North Dakota would be all for it. I think Mr. Berenson has/had no interest in playing UND in the regular season. Maybe a new coach at Michigan will be willing to play UND? Wisconsin, Michigan State, and next year Minnesota have no problem doing so.

Comment

• Originally posted by MFhockey View Post
                4>2 simple Michigan math
                Ahh I see what you did there!

Comment

Originally posted by MFhockey View Post
                  4>2 simple Michigan math
                  That wasn't even the final score of the game. An NDSU fan would've gotten it right.
                  ---
                  National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                  Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                  19 Conference Championships
                  10 Conference Tournament Championships
                  2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Great season, guys. I'm already counting the days until the next!

(194 days until Fri 07 Oct)
                    Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

It's over. I'm proud of this team and every player on it. I haven't enjoyed Michigan hockey so much since 2010. Congratulations North Dakota, you earned it.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ned_racine.php
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Interesting theory, have you heard anything to support it? And I'm not trying to be condescending, I'm actually curious. Michigan has played several non-conference games away since leaving the WCHA that are far away. Granted most are slightly closer than Grand Forks by plane...
                        Find an old-timer who was around in the early '80s. Ask about Don Canham and the two divisions he tried to force on the old WCHA.

Yes, travel expenses are part of the story. That was, in fact, the Michigan party line. Make sure your old-timer is willing to give you a candid assessment of the politics of the situation. It goes beyond that party line. The battle was about more than just money.

It's important to note that this is a matter of history, not a theory. And it's a history worth learning. It has everything to do with why we now have a B1G Hockey Conference. Good off-season project for you.

Sincere congratulations on your conference tourney title and nice showing at the Midwest Regional.

Comment

I agree it sucked. I feel like this year's team has struggled back checking and has been notorious for lazy turnovers (usually resulting in a goal). UND capitalized on both of these aspects. Michigan adapted in the 2nd but UND adapted better in the third. I wish Michigan could have played them during the season. I don't ever see it happening but it would be fun for the two teams to be in the same conference again.

Regarding Compher's pass on the UND goal, I feel like Werenski could have done more to get in front of the UND player. Granted I think the goal still would have happened.

As for the CCM line, they shine when they can play a finesse game but I feel like they struggle when forced to play a physical game. I feel both regional games demonstrated this.

This brings me to my hope that everyone returns. I think the entire CCM line could improve with another season as well as Werenski. Could you imagine next year's team if they did? Congratulations to the team on a good season and returning to the NCAAs and not being a one and done like recent B1G teams.
                          I wish I had some optimism about returns. Conner could get better, but looking at Larkin- he's better at this point, and we are seeing how that is turning out. Compher- I don't have a good feeling he will be back. Motte, probably.

We lose some good players in Neives and Selman. Behind that. I see Warren and Marody stepping up- they are really good players.

On the blue line, I'm sure Werekski is gone- probably will be in Columbus by the end of this week. Downing? Never sure about him- big and physical, but will a pro team want him at this point? And De Jong is graduating.

In net, Nagelvort is back.

Forgive me for not knowing the players who are coming- after a few guys decided to no show on us, I've stopped looking- just seeing what shows up for that first game in October.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            Find an old-timer who was around in the early '80s. Ask about Don Canham and the two divisions he tried to force on the old WCHA.

Yes, travel expenses are part of the story. That was, in fact, the Michigan party line. Make sure your old-timer is willing to give you a candid assessment of the politics of the situation. It goes beyond that party line. The battle was about more than just money.

It's important to note that this is a matter of history, not a theory. And it's a history worth learning. It has everything to do with why we now have a B1G Hockey Conference. Good off-season project for you.

Sincere congratulations on your conference tourney title and nice showing at the Midwest Regional.
                            I'm not a Michigan old-timer, but I am an old-timer. I remember those days well, and they go back even further than the early 80s.

Don Canham was pushing ideas of merging the WCHA and the upstart CCHA as early as the late 1970s. I think money was a huge part of it. I think money always is. "Follow the money" was what MarK Felt told Bob Woodward all those years ago and college athletics is just as power and money-mad as politics. And I think money means saving money, making more money, keeping more of the money pie for yourself, all sorts of things.

Canham's ideas in 1978 seemed quite radical at the time. His explanations for Michigan's eventual move (along with Notre Dame and very shortly after that, MSU and MTU) to the CCHA mentioned most prominently financial considerations, and I think his explanations were valid. I think it was a much simpler time then than it is now, with virtually no considerations of things like media, social or otherwise, or as much of the power five versus non power five vitriol we see now.

I know for Notre Dame it was truly a simple matter of drastically reducing cost and keeping hockey as a D1 sport, or losing it altogether (something that happened anyway two years following the move). We had huge issues with Title IX after the university began admitting women in the fall of 1972 and had been more or less forced to stop funding hockey to comply with rulings being issued in the 1970s dealing with it. The up and down nature of Notre Dame's existence in the WCHA is clearly related to funding. A highly successful 1977 season could not be duplicated in large part because after losing the core of a very good team to graduation Notre Dame drastically cut back recruiting -- including a complete moratorium for a time -- and bad seasons resulted. With that came a huge fall off in attendance and attention. And what followed then was the need -- or perhaps desire -- to reduce costs.

I'm of the opinion that the moves of the late 70s and early 80s were good for the sport. Coupled with Jerry York winning a title at Bowling Green -- the first title not won by one of the schools in either the WCHA or ECAC -- and the formation of Hockey East (along, believe it or not, similar lines of reasoning as the NCHC) college hockey's modern era was ushered in. I am not of the same opinion that the moves we've seen more recently, and the additional moves we are sure to see in the near future, are going to be as good for the overall sport.

It's too bad Don Canham wasn't around a few years ago (he passed away in 2005) to see what has happened in the sport. He would have had some very interesting observations. Canham was a good guy. In my opinion a showman in the very best sense of that word. Unlike subsequent athletic directors at both schools, Canham and Notre Dame's legendary AD Edward "Moose" Krause had a great friendship and relationship.
                            Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                              But they traveled regularly to Alaska Fairbanks in the not too distant CCHA days.
                              Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-27-2016, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Well, I'm genuinely sorry that Michigan did not win and advance. I can root for Michigan just fine when Ohio State isn't in it and it also helps when Michigan isn't the team that knocked us out of it. LOL!
                                If Red is gone I wish he could have gone out on top, he's one hell of a coach and has left a legacy there that will be hard to top.
                                We'll see you next season when it's back to being rivals! Take care all you Meeechiganders!

Comment

Working...
                                X