Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Wolverines 2015-2016 Season

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    I went down that road a few weeks ago and had to talk to myself all week to get if off page one. No thanks. I'll just clog up this one.

If us and the rest of the B1G had any sense we'd throw every game to you guys all season in exchange for your bowing out of the conference tournament. With our collective NC record, MI is the only team that stands a real chance to get in to the NCAA's on PWR alone. IF you don't lose many in conference which could be disastrous. That way the B1G could get 2 teams in.But I digress.

Yes we know all about losing to BU lately. Except one time last year when we were up 3-1 with a minute to play and we tied. BUT you guys should be aware we beat UND @ UND! Hopefully in two months we're not still repeating this as our only accomplishment.

Wisco is probably playing better than about half the teams, IMO. Probably have more talent than about two-thirds, but it's inexperienced talent and prone to fatal lapses. I actually have no idea what to expect this weekend. Boys have apparently been working hard on details and if they can improve enough there, it will be competitive, and they can even surprise, as I have little doubt they will be underrated by opponents until they can put something together. 18 year old replacement goalie Matt Jurusic has been playing fairly well for us, but stopping a lot of Wolverine odd man rushes is likely a bit above his pay grade. One thing we do have going is outside of ASU (who incidentally has a couple of pretty good players) we've been in against a lot of good teams. BC, BU, UND, DU for speed and talent, and NMU and @Ferris State for weird rink and big, mature players. The steep learning curve continues this week for the Badgers. A split would be awesome.
    Our defensive play (not just the blueliners, although the pairing of Downing and Werenski is struggling) is our achilles heel. That and erratic goaltending. Look for junior Zach Nagelvoort to play both games as senior Steve Racine took a shot off the knee (the puck appeared to hit him to the side/under his pads) and is "week to week".

Dartmouth did a good job employing a two man forecheck (like Michigan does) and disturbed the breakouts. Then, they fell into a neutral zone trap- which Michigan refused to dump the puck and chase in order to beat. It was like watching paint dry at times, although we did have a few counters or solo rushes that didn't amount to much. I see the Badgers doing the same thing and yes- a split is a definite possibility. Gonna have to be some grimy goals this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      Our defensive play (not just the blueliners, although the pairing of Downing and Werenski is struggling) is our achilles heel. That and erratic goaltending. Look for junior Zach Nagelvoort to play both games as senior Steve Racine took a shot off the knee (the puck appeared to hit him to the side/under his pads) and is "week to week".

Dartmouth did a good job employing a two man forecheck (like Michigan does) and disturbed the breakouts. Then, they fell into a neutral zone trap- which Michigan refused to dump the puck and chase in order to beat. It was like watching paint dry at times, although we did have a few counters or solo rushes that didn't amount to much. I see the Badgers doing the same thing and yes- a split is a definite possibility. Gonna have to be some grimy goals this weekend.
      Quick Badger rundown: We're in a similar situation with a really aggressive forecheck giving us all sorts of problems. Badgers have completely changed their breakout scheme this year and when they have it together they do have a lot of team speed and can get it out and go. But it's very inconsistent. Was very good against UND, who is aggressive, but against DU it was miserable. Thing is, UND is probably a better and quicker forechecking team. Go figure. Badgers haven't been waiting back in a regular trap, (despite their reputation, they haven't done much of this in a couple of years.) but they are very aggressive in the neutral zone and it's generally hard to get it in clean. What has killed them is turnovers and blown assignments in their own end. They can be good, but very inconsistent.

Top line can be very good. Hughes, with Besse and Kunin. Hughes can really skate and Kunin and Besse have monster shots. Fun to watch work, but again, Hughes is 18 and Kunin 17. All talented though. Second line is pretty good too. Rockwood is a passing wizard and Soleway is big, very strong, and shoots it a lot. But there's no guy like Compher or UND's Caggiula to just sort of hold everything together and be consistent. The rest of the guys have been a little mix and match around USNTDP vet, Ryan Wagner, who is a 5'8" guy that thinks he's 6'4" 220. On D, Steady Eddie Witchow is good, can be a beast in a small rink. Gave BC and BU fits. Kevin Schulze is small but usually the best skater on the ice. Can make up for other's mistakes with his speed. Linhart has a seeing eye shot and a knack for offense from the point, but can be good or terrible on the other end. Same goes for Davison, only moreso. Tischke is a freshman who will be pretty good but isn't there yet. And that leaves Paddy Sexton. Oddly (in light of this weeks age limit proposal) the first 21 yr old Freshman I recall seeing the ice at UW in quite some time. Not overly gifted but very smart player and just a huge hitter. In goal Jurusic has the chops, and we were actually pretty lucky to get him in when Opilka bolted to the CHL this summer, but he's really still learning on the job.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Quick Badger rundown: We're in a similar situation with a really aggressive forecheck giving us all sorts of problems. Badgers have completely changed their breakout scheme this year and when they have it together they do have a lot of team speed and can get it out and go. But it's very inconsistent. Was very good against UND, who is aggressive, but against DU it was miserable. Thing is, UND is probably a better and quicker forechecking team. Go figure. Badgers haven't been waiting back in a regular trap, (despite their reputation, they haven't done much of this in a couple of years.) but they are very aggressive in the neutral zone and it's generally hard to get it in clean. What has killed them is turnovers and blown assignments in their own end. They can be good, but very inconsistent.

Top line can be very good. Hughes, with Besse and Kunin. Hughes can really skate and Kunin and Besse have monster shots. Fun to watch work, but again, Hughes is 18 and Kunin 17. All talented though. Second line is pretty good too. Rockwood is a passing wizard and Soleway is big, very strong, and shoots it a lot. But there's no guy like Compher or UND's Caggiula to just sort of hold everything together and be consistent. The rest of the guys have been a little mix and match around USNTDP vet, Ryan Wagner, who is a 5'8" guy that thinks he's 6'4" 220. On D, Steady Eddie Witchow is good, can be a beast in a small rink. Gave BC and BU fits. Kevin Schulze is small but usually the best skater on the ice. Can make up for other's mistakes with his speed. Linhart has a seeing eye shot and a knack for offense from the point, but can be good or terrible on the other end. Same goes for Davison, only moreso. Tischke is a freshman who will be pretty good but isn't there yet. And that leaves Paddy Sexton. Oddly (in light of this weeks age limit proposal) the first 21 yr old Freshman I recall seeing the ice at UW in quite some time. Not overly gifted but very smart player and just a huge hitter. In goal Jurusic has the chops, and we were actually pretty lucky to get him in when Opilka bolted to the CHL this summer, but he's really still learning on the job.
        I like that McGuire guy... if you know me, you know why...

Comment

I was at Yost for Michigan's 7-0 victory over Dartmouth on Fri., 11/27/15. Here is a link to photos I took of the game, including photos of the student holding the sign "#2 cheated off me in high school," referring to River Rymsha from Huntington Woods, Mich. You can download photos from the site. If anyone knows the student, please send him the photo/link. Thanks.

http://umichhockey2015.shutterfly.com/

*******https://umichhockey2015.shutterfly.com/52#52********

https://umichhockey2015.shutterfly.com/52#52

Comment

Anyone else see Racine dressed and on the ice stretching but not on the bench? That was interesting, he must not be that far away.
            Originally posted by alfablue
            Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
            Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
            I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by CalifUMfan View Post
              I was at Yost for Michigan's 7-0 victory over Dartmouth on Fri., 11/27/15. Here is a link to photos I took of the game, including photos of the student holding the sign "#2 cheated off me in high school," referring to River Rymsha from Huntington Woods, Mich. You can download photos from the site. If anyone knows the student, please send him the photo/link. Thanks.

http://umichhockey2015.shutterfly.com/

*******https://umichhockey2015.shutterfly.com/52#52********

https://umichhockey2015.shutterfly.com/52#52
              I put it on the CoY's facebook page.
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Our defense makes me want to invest in Just for Men. I'm getting a lot of grey hairs watching them make some really dumb mistakes.

Another REALLY bad pinch leading to a 2-1 that was defended, well, not really. Holy cow. If they are going to pinch like that, at least they can run drills where the single D actually makes some contact with the pass. That IS their job, afterall.

And while our defensive zone turn overs are better, they are still bad- leading to chances and goals.

The screen goal, I can kind of see- but that was bad breaking out, too.

(missed the first goal- eve reopened... )

On the other hand, the offense continues to entertain to a very high degree. They are so fun to watch. Compher's goal from a slap to the puck on edge- that was so cool. And considering how Warren could have reacted to completely missing the net on his penalty shot- getting that goal was a big deal. We see how Conner is a big deal, too- while his only goal was an empty netter- good lord he's good. If Wisconsin doesn't pay good attention to him, he's going to score.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  Our defense makes me want to invest in Just for Men. I'm getting a lot of grey hairs watching them make some really dumb mistakes.

Another REALLY bad pinch leading to a 2-1 that was defended, well, not really. Holy cow. If they are going to pinch like that, at least they can run drills where the single D actually makes some contact with the pass. That IS their job, afterall.

And while our defensive zone turn overs are better, they are still bad- leading to chances and goals.

The screen goal, I can kind of see- but that was bad breaking out, too.

(missed the first goal- eve reopened... )

On the other hand, the offense continues to entertain to a very high degree. They are so fun to watch. Compher's goal from a slap to the puck on edge- that was so cool. And considering how Warren could have reacted to completely missing the net on his penalty shot- getting that goal was a big deal. We see how Conner is a big deal, too- while his only goal was an empty netter- good lord he's good. If Wisconsin doesn't pay good attention to him, he's going to score.
                  mgoblue.com only showed the third Wisconsin goal, the rather weak effort by Downing on the 2-on-1. It really is concerning how this team has been so sloppy with team defense and turnovers for the last five years. Rescued by the offense, expect to see a better effort tonight from the start. Is M 0-2 on penalty shots this year (Motte, Warren)?

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                    mgoblue.com only showed the third Wisconsin goal, the rather weak effort by Downing on the 2-on-1. It really is concerning how this team has been so sloppy with team defense and turnovers for the last five years. Rescued by the offense, expect to see a better effort tonight from the start. Is M 0-2 on penalty shots this year (Motte, Warren)?
                    Glad to see Red separate Werenski and Downing at least. If Mike thinks he is ready for the next level, pull out the tape of that ole' move he made on that 2x1. He'll be riding busses in the bush leagues. I'm not leaving Nagelvoort off the hook, either. Playing way too deep in his crease which partially helped the Wisconsin forwards to screen him on the first two goals. Made a good save on the oops 3x1 in the third period (after Calderone fell down) but literally didn't move and was deep into the crease again.

The offense rescued us, yes, but give Wisconsin alot of credit, too. Instead of trying to protect a 3 goal lead on the road, they tried to skate with Michigan. At one point I thought it was a tennis match, seeing back to back to back odd man rushes both ways. Entertaining, yes, but the Badgers fell right into the trap. Compher and Motte had outstanding games. B1G officials, not so much. Marco Hunt is as useless as Mark Wilkins ever was. Lost control of the game (abundant interference calls and a blatant late third period trip) in an effort to let the teams play, or let Wisconsin stay in it, IMO.

As far as Racine, I saw him after the game, in dress clothes. He sat with the scratches last night. Still a very noticable limp and didn't skate at all last week. I'd be surprised if he is ready for Minnesota. More likely for the GLI.

Comment

If they are going to pinch like that, at least they can run drills where the single D actually makes some contact with the pass. That IS their job, afterall.
                      This. There were so many times last night when the puck left the zone slowly and the D-man just sat there and watched it leave, which in turn became an odd-man raush for Wisconsin. They seriously need to improve at decision making. There are times where you pinch a little and times when you merely shore up your defense and protect the goalie. They'll figure it out in time, I just hope that it doesn't happen too late,

Comment

As far as Racine, I saw him after the game, in dress clothes. He sat with the scratches last night. Still a very noticable limp and didn't skate at all last week. I'd be surprised if he is ready for Minnesota. More likely for the GLI.
                        This is concerning. Minnesota isn't the Minnesota of the early-2000's but they still are Minnesota. I want to crush them and not let them have anything. I see Catt is our back-up goaltender now. I looked on mgoblue and saw the brief write-up on him, 21 year-old Freshman who has played with many of his current teammates growing up. Anyone know anything about him? I tell you, when I first saw him on the ice I thought Hunwick was back.
                        Last edited by UMICH; 12-06-2015, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Boy, our defense is bad.

And other than the brief score, the PK was bad, too.

How can you score 6 and just manage a tie?

And now we are down to our third string goalie.

Thankfully, we can score.

Comment

Boy, our defense is bad.

And other than the brief score, the PK was bad, too.

How can you score 6 and just manage a tie?

And now we are down to our third string goalie.

Thankfully, we can score.
                            And as well all know, that ridiculous offense is not sustainable every game. You're gonna have to play defense and have goaltending to win some games in both the season and postseason (if applies).
                            ---
                            National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                            Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                            19 Conference Championships
                            10 Conference Tournament Championships
                            2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Congrats on the points Weasels. I really hate the gofers but you guys are gaining all the time.

It wasn't boring, I'll say that. We have some nice players, but nobody that can really match up with your upperclassmen F's, Compher, Nieves, and Motte, who were great on the rush all weekend. Despite the breakdowns that cost us tonight, I'm proud of our boys. To get it tied up after blowing a two goal lead like that is an accomplishment, even if it feels a little hollow in the end. They left it on the ice and the better team came out on top this weekend. We just have more work to do. Looking forward to hosting you all at the KC. Happy Holidays.
                              Originally posted by WiscTJK
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                              Originally posted by Timothy A
                              Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Congrats on the points Weasels. I really hate the gofers but you guys are gaining all the time.

It wasn't boring, I'll say that. We have some nice players, but nobody that can really match up with your upperclassmen F's, Compher, Nieves, and Motte, who were great on the rush all weekend. Despite the breakdowns that cost us tonight, I'm proud of our boys. To get it tied up after blowing a two goal lead like that is an accomplishment, even if it feels a little hollow in the end. They left it on the ice and the better team came out on top this weekend. We just have more work to do. Looking forward to hosting you all at the KC. Happy Holidays.
                                We're suppose to acknowledge such a passive-aggressive post? You're team let us off the hook twice, saved by pond shinny defense, speed and offensive talent. We're pathetic defensively. How we managed to split with BU on the road is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
                                X