Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers Off Season Thread 2015

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
    How confident are the gopher fans with the incoming players for this upcoming year? How about your goalie situation? Seems similar to Nodaks question marks.
    Incoming players are decent. What they lost is huge. Not very optimistic, though the Big Ten will probably suck with what Michigan lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Incoming players are decent. What they lost is huge.
      Classic definition of a "rebuilding year"! After this past up, and down, and up, and finally down again year we can only hope they surprise us on the upside. At least one of the goalie candidates will need to rise to the occasion for this season's team to be successful.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I don't anticipate them lacking coming together as a team compared with last season when they tried to get it done on talent alone. This is not the first time they've lost this much talent between seasons and rarely have they not come back from it. I'm looking forward to seeing sophs take a step forward and they should be more physical and gritty. I'm not predicting Frozen Four good but they'll be better than many seem to think.
        Last edited by Slap Shot; 06-16-2015, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          I don't anticipate them lacking coming together as a team compared with last season when they tried to get it done on talent alone. This is not the first time they've lost this much talent between seasons and rarely have they not come back from it. I'm looking forward to seeing sophs take a step forward and they should be more physical and gritty. I'm not predicting Frozen Four good but they'll be better than many seem to think.
          Agreed, Gopher history is replete with examples of how vacancies often bring out the true potential in returning Gopher players. I'm even expecting Cammarata to turn his game around. I expect Fasching to have a better season as well.

The B1G should be very competitive this season. MSU and Penn St. have strong senior leadership and depth returning. MSU will most likely have Hildebrand back in net, the 2014-15 B1G conference player and goaltender of the year. Michigan has another good freshmen class coming in (i.e. Connor, Warren) along with returning players Compher (C), Werenski, Kile, Motte, Nieves, etc. The Gophers have scoring potential up front (Kloos, C. Reilly, Fasching, Romanko, Bristedt, Cammarata, Ramsey, Novak), but how the D performs with the loss of Reilly, Skjei and Marshall, who steps up in net to replace Wilcox and team leadership are question marks.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
            Agreed, Gopher history is replete with examples of how vacancies often bring out the true potential in returning Gopher players. I'm even expecting Cammarata to turn his game around. I expect Fasching to have a better season as well.

The B1G should be very competitive this season. MSU and Penn St. have strong senior leadership and depth returning. MSU will most likely have Hildebrand back in net, the 2014-15 B1G conference player and goaltender of the year. Michigan has another good freshmen class coming in (i.e. Connor, Warren) along with returning players Compher (C), Werenski, Kile, Motte, Nieves, etc. The Gophers have scoring potential up front (Kloos, C. Reilly, Fasching, Romanko, Bristedt, Cammarata, Ramsey, Novak), but how the D performs with the loss of Reilly, Skjei and Marshall, who steps up in net to replace Wilcox and team leadership are question marks.
            Great summary, HarleyMC. I think the real question that in the end will be most important in determining how far this team will go will be "who steps up in net to replace Wilcox in net".

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
              Great summary, HarleyMC. I think the real question that in the end will be most important in determining how far this team will go will be "who steps up in net to replace Wilcox in net".
              I agree, as the juggernaut in net since 2012 Wilcox definitely set the bar high for his replacement, ranked first all-time in career GAA (2.09) and SV% (.922), tied for first in shutouts (13) and tied for third in wins (75). An elite goaltender is a tough act to follow, but we've seen this scenario before.

Wilcox did not put up stellar numbers in the USHL. I'm reminded Gopher fans including myself, had similar questions about Wilcox in 2012 as the heir apparent to Kent Patterson whose 28 wins in his final Gopher season were the most by a Gopher goalie since Robb Stauber won 34 in 1987-88.

Then Wilcox comes out of nowhere and sets a new single season GAA record (1.88) as a freshman and ties Briggs for most wins in a rookie season. Credit Justin Johnson, who has done an amazing job in helping goalies elevate their game (Patterson and Wilcox). I'm optimistic we can see some surprises in net again this season in whoever gets the nod. Thanks D2D, appreciate your insights.
              Last edited by HarleyMC; 06-21-2015, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                I think the real question that in the end will be most important in determining how far this team will go will be "who steps up in net to replace Wilcox in net".
                Schierhorn should be the favorite. He faced the most shots in the USHL this past season (not a great D in front of him) but had the best save percentage in the league and was pretty close to being top 5 in GAA. 1st team USHLer. Of course, he has to prove it on this level too. However, he'd be my favorite to see the majority of the starts given the competition isn't overwhelming. I'd guess they might go with a bit of a rotation early on though.

If we are honest, Wilcox did not have a top notch final year. He had his moments but not nearly as dominant as we became used to. He didn't set the bar high for his replacement based on last year's .912 save percentage (yes, I realize not every goal is on the goalie but Wilcox didn't "steal" as many goals last year as he had the prior few seasons either).
                University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                  Schierhorn should be the favorite. He faced the most shots in the USHL this past season (not a great D in front of him) but had the best save percentage in the league and was pretty close to being top 5 in GAA. 1st team USHLer. Of course, he has to prove it on this level too. However, he'd be my favorite to see the majority of the starts given the competition isn't overwhelming.
                  Thanks for the info. Sure hope he quickly adopts to the higher level of play.

Originally posted by Hammy View Post
                  I'd guess they might go with a bit of a rotation early on though.
                  Very reasonable guess. Given the minutes Wilcox played during his career, which leaves a real hole as to who ends up playing the majority of minutes going forward, it's easy to envision Lucia giving more than just Schierhorn an opportunity at earning real playing time.

QUOTE=Hammy;6171788]If we are honest, Wilcox did not have a top notch final year. He had his moments but not nearly as dominant as we became used to. He didn't set the bar high for his replacement based on last year's .912 save percentage (yes, I realize not every goal is on the goalie but Wilcox didn't "steal" as many goals last year as he had the prior few seasons either).[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. Overall, a great career at the U. Too bad his last season wasn't his best. I would, however, like to see some stats on how many lone breakaways the Gophers gave up this past season compared to the two seasons before. I might be imagining things, but could it be true that in one game this past season they gave up five????
                  Last edited by D2D; 06-17-2015, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Interesting NHL scouting report on incoming Gopher recruit Thomas Novak:

Like many young NHL prospects, growing up Novak was usually the most talented player on his team and a star in whichever league he competed. If he hopes to continue that trend in the NHL, he can’t rest on his laurels. “Like most players that make that jump, he needs to play harder on a more consistent basis,” NHL Central Scouting’s Greg Rajanen told NHL.com in November. “However, he is making strides in that area. He has Patrick Kane-like hands and puck handling ability,” Rajanen added. “He has quick hands. He’s quick out of the blocks in all directions and handles the puck very well with creative puck play seen. He’s a point-producer type.”
                    Another comment by Lucia on Brock Kautz.

Comment

Although Wilcox has the best single season SV% since 2004, Alex Kangas deserves a lot of credit for his performance in 2007-08 at #2 with a poorer performing Gopher team in front of him. The Gophers had a record 16 OT games under Kangas that season (3-4-9), the most during Lucia's tenure. Wilcox SV% last season (#6) is identical to Kellen Briggs in 2004-05 (#7), the Gophers lost 4-2 in the F4 semis to UND that year.

.........................................Top 10 Save Percentages (2004-15)

.....Season.........Goalie........GP...........Min........GA.....SV....Shots...SV%....GAA.....Record.....Win%

1) 2013-2014.......Wilcox.........38........2281:37.....75....1035....1110.....932......1.97.....26-6-6.......763
                      2) 2007-2008.......Kangas........31........1966:45.....65.....861.....926......930......1.98.....12-10-9......532
                      3) 2012-2013.......Wilcox.........39........2331:00.....73.....855.....928......921......1.88.....25-8-5.......724
                      4) 2010-2011.......Patterson....30........1737:13.....73.....833......906.....919......2.52.....14-9-6........586
                      5) 2006-2007.......Briggs.........26........1518:37.....54.....600......654.....917......2.13.....17-7-2........692
                      6) 2014-2015.......Wilcox........38...... ..2252:20.....91....943.....1034.....912......2.42.....22-12-3......635
                      7) 2004-2005.......Briggs.........34........1953:35.....79.....821......900.....912......2.43.....21-12-0......636
                      8) 2009-2010.......Kangas.......33........1934:28.....84.....858......942.....911......2.61.....16-15-1......516
                      9) 2011-2012.......Patterson....43........2557:19.....99.....966....1065.....907......2.32.....28-14-1......663
                      10) 2005-2006.....Briggs.........32........1832:24.....78.....737......815.....904......2.55.....21-6-3........750

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyMC View Post
                        Interesting NHL scouting report on incoming Gopher recruit Thomas Novak:

Another comment by Lucia on Brock Kautz.
                        Interesting comment in the linked article: "Our goaltending position is going to be wide open when the year begins."

Comment

We've got a couple of solid G's coming in for freshmen. I have to feel we'll get someone passable. Bischoff, Brodzinski, Collins, Glover, Johnson, Seeler, I feel pretty good about depth on D. I'm most concerned about putting the puck in the net. They'll have to cobble together consistent scoring from Kloos/Cammy, Fasching, C Reilly and a handful of freshmen. Who knows maybe Kloos/Cammy can turn into Potulny/Irmen. We'll see.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                            We've got a couple of solid G's coming in for freshmen. I have to feel we'll get someone passable. Bischoff, Brodzinski, Collins, Glover, Johnson, Seeler, I feel pretty good about depth on D. I'm most concerned about putting the puck in the net. They'll have to cobble together consistent scoring from Kloos/Cammy, Fasching, C Reilly and a handful of freshmen. Who knows maybe Kloos/Cammy can turn into Potulny/Irmen. We'll see.
                            I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Cammarata, and I'm sure the coaching staff is expecting to see more offense from him in the coming season. There's no question he's a talented kid with good full ice vision, good passing ability and short term speed, but his goal scoring drought last season was an obvious disappointment (3-24-27).

If he buries the puck more last season, the Gophers do better than 4-6 in 1 goal games, which was down from 10-2 in 2013-14. He did show signs of more physicality around the paint and on the walls as the season progressed, but he needs to turn the corner and resurrect some of the scoring consistency he and Kloos once had in the USHL.

The 2015-16 Gopher Hockey Schedule.

Comment

If he doesn't step up I could see him riding pine, because his skating is a liability at this level.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                                If he doesn't step up I could see him riding pine, because his skating is a liability at this level.
                                Could be...but I'd bet against it. We won't have the weapons we've had the last 3 years. He'll still be among the best players we can put on the ice regardless.
                                Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
                                X