Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Providence College Friars, the best off-season ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Providence College Friars, the best off-season ever!

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
    I'll go on record as saying that Providence will perennially be in the top 3 of Hockey East for as long as Leaman is the head coach, with or without Borek.
    Don't they have some killer recruiting classes coming in, too? I wouldn't bet against Leaman regardless of the talent he has at his disposal, but I also recall seeing several very highly-touted recruits committing to Providence. The biggest question, really, is if Ellis can play at a level that isn't a significant downgrade from Gillies.

Comment

While I'm on this thread - I liked last year's Mayor's Cup format better than this year's. You could really feel the hostility building between the two teams as they faced each other in back-to-back games, and having the two encounters spread out over the course of two months this year might hinder that and lower the intensity level.

Nevertheless, I think the two-game format is a very good idea overall. I do wish Bryant and URI would start D-1 programs, so we could have a Beanpot-esque statewide tournament at the Dunk, and have the Mayor's Cup be a separate single game between PC and Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Don't they have some killer recruiting classes coming in, too? I wouldn't bet against Leaman regardless of the talent he has at his disposal, but I also recall seeing several very highly-touted recruits committing to Providence. The biggest question, really, is if Ellis can play at a level that isn't a significant downgrade from Gillies.
        Doubt Ellis is the "everyday" starter by mid season as Hawkey was drafted last year by the Canadiens and highly touted more so than Ellis was ever"
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

While I'm on this thread - I liked last year's Mayor's Cup format better than this year's. You could really feel the hostility building between the two teams as they faced each other in back-to-back games, and having the two encounters spread out over the course of two months this year might hinder that and lower the intensity level.

Nevertheless, I think the two-game format is a very good idea overall. I do wish Bryant and URI would start D-1 programs, so we could have a Beanpot-esque statewide tournament at the Dunk, and have the Mayor's Cup be a separate single game between PC and Brown.
          I think Bryant would start hockey before URI because Bryant president is a sports fanatic with how he deals with many of his sports teams...look at who coaches the lacrosse team and the amount of money that school has for athletic facilities

Comment

URI has a very good club hockey program and at one point were considering going to D1 but that seems to have ended, the rink is decent but not great to watch a game.....agree Bryant is really going sports and could be in hockey soon

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              Doubt Ellis is the "everyday" starter by mid season as Hawkey was drafted last year by the Canadiens and highly touted more so than Ellis was ever"
              Perhaps Borek could bring a proven Hockey East goaltender (who has a year of eligibility remaining) with him.

Wouldn't be the first goalie from Rochester N.H. to be play for the Friars
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Yeah, so you guys will be just fine.

Comment

I think Bryant would start hockey before URI because Bryant president is a sports fanatic with how he deals with many of his sports teams...look at who coaches the lacrosse team and the amount of money that school has for athletic facilities
                  I'd welcome either, at this point. URI is less likely because of the state's economic woes. I know they built Boss Arena with an eye toward expanding it to suit the needs of a potential D-1 program someday, but it doesn't look like a feasible option at this point.

Maybe Bryant could raise some money and build a new arena to house the basketball programs and a potential hockey team. I know their basketball teams play in a ratty old gym, so an upgrade for them would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                    Perhaps Borek could bring a proven Hockey East goaltender (who has a year of eligibility remaining) with him.

Wouldn't be the first goalie from Rochester N.H. to be play for the Friars
                    Also, Gillies best friend

Comment

I'd welcome either, at this point. URI is less likely because of the state's economic woes. I know they built Boss Arena with an eye toward expanding it to suit the needs of a potential D-1 program someday, but it doesn't look like a feasible option at this point.

Maybe Bryant could raise some money and build a new arena to house the basketball programs and a potential hockey team. I know their basketball teams play in a ratty old gym, so an upgrade for them would be nice.
                      Bryant did have a D-3 team in the 70's, but the program was dropped after about 6 or 7 years as I recall. As a Bryant alumnus, I am not hearing any talk about bringing hockey back. I was back on campus last month and the discussion was that there is a club program, but not much else.

Comment

Jake Ryczek chooses Providence.
                        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                          Jake Ryczek chooses Providence.
                          Previously a UNH commit? I assume he's following Coach Borek?

Comment

Good story on PC freshman Foley in todays ProJo.....sounds like Nate has a good one there a real scorer and hitter

Comment

Originally posted by satking View Post
                              Good story on PC freshman Foley in todays ProJo.....sounds like Nate has a good one there a real scorer and hitter
                              Here's the link: PC's Foley hoping his strong season pays off at NHL Draft

Comment

Nice to see the news that Seven Men's Hockey Players Earn Hockey East All-Academic Team Honors (and 13 on the women's team. While a long time hockey fan, I am happy when PC continues to graduate its players and that academics are so important. Congratulations to the Friars!

Comment

Working...
                                X