X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

Originally posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, its unlikely they ever have a player like Eichel again. You need to take advantage of an opportunity like this.

Two thoughts:

1) Has anybody checked in on Scarlet to make sure she's still breathing?
    2) Is BU2K already getting his pre-game started at Sully's or is he slowing down a little?
    Barely. But I appreciate the concern. I'm trying to get out of work by noon. It may not happen. In which case it will be that much worse for me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
      The word failure should not even come up.

It can and it will. Those predictions were stupid. With the talent this team has, they need to win it all. Anything less is unacceptable. I've watched (as you have as well) too many championship games where a more talented BU team diddlefvked its way through the game and lost to a team that worked harder. Boo hoo hoo if they have to go through a good North Dakota team and a scrappy PC/Nebraska contest to win the title. Get it done d@mmit!!!!
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
        Right now, I'd say it's house money. If BU gets to the F4 without winning it all, would you guys say it's a failure?
        Well, you just hit upon the problem that exists in "today's" NCAA. I think "failure" is too strong of a word, given the number of freshmen on this team. In a perfect world, they would have had a couple of years to "develop" and be a much stronger force. Unfortunately, with the "one and done" nature of big time college sports today, it's a crap shoot. I lamented this way back last fall. I don't think you can "expect" anything anymore. You just hope the team jells (which has happened), they get a couple of breaks (which they have for the most part) and then they play great in the last two games (remains to be seen). If this were a senior-laden team that had been loading up for three years, it would be different (not that I'm saying that's feasible any more).

Let me answer a question with a question. Would you say Kentucky's season was a "failure" because they lost to Wisconsin? They won, what, 37 games? And lost ONE. We know that Calipari is simply going to reload with more "one and done" players next year and do this again. If you say it WAS a failure, then I would say your expectations are unrealistic. It is HARD to win a National Championship. And I would argue they had MORE high-end talent than BU does on this team (difficult to compare sports, but you know what I mean - Kentucky had the elite of the elite and still lost).

It's an interesting question. I still liked the "old days" better. Sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater View Post
          I think he said he was starting around 2pm. Unclear as to whether that was yesterday or today.
          As you know, the sidekick isn't much of a morning person so since we're at home as opposed to a hotel the day tends to start later.
          Expectation has the encumberance of truth while hope lives its own life, wild and free.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rover View Post
            It can and it will. Those predictions were stupid. With the talent this team has, they need to win it all. Anything less is unacceptable. I've watched (as you have as well) too many championship games where a more talented BU team diddlefvked its way through the game and lost to a team that worked harder. Boo hoo hoo if they have to go through a good North Dakota team and a scrappy PC/Nebraska contest to win the title. Get it done d@mmit!!!!
            One can say dammit here without playing around
            Last edited by mookie1995; 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM.
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Can't concentrate. Need hockey to start.
              Bugs Bunny - 96
              Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

How about this? More nervous agains UND tonight, or 2009, before taking on a UVM team that swept us in our own barn?
                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

How about this? More nervous agains UND tonight, or 2009, before taking on a UVM team that swept us in our own barn?
                  Tonight. We had way more talent than UVM. Only thing potentially holding us back was coaching staff not properly motiving team for big game against lesser opponent, something we'd seen only a few bazillion times previously. Fortunately Colin Wilson took over the game in the 3rd IIRC and we won a closer than it needed to be contest.
                  Last edited by Rover; 04-09-2015, 11:39 AM.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

The goalie also had a bad weekend in DC. That was a key factor.

North Dakota is legit and was the #1 team in the country for long stretches of the season. If they flat old get beat by a better team, the season is still a success (Just not the level of success we all want.) I'll change my tune if they **** the bed and lose 9-1. #EpicFail

BU Hockey: Don't Fail Me Now
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

A little more nervous compared to '09. I feel much of it is attributed to this being a "home" FF. Don't have the "healthy distractions" of traveling to and sightseeing at a destination FF. Plus many more local eyes focused on what happens this weekend, therefore raising expectations.

Having said that, I felt my expectations in '09 were even higher given how many years it had been since BU last won the NC and made the FF. Not to mention the perceived quality of competition remaining between UVM, Miami and Bemidji. This year they've already exceeded the expectations I had at the start of the season and I feel they're playing with house money at this point.

Comment

I was more nervous in '09. I am looking at it another way than who the opponent is and how strong BU is. Unlike Friend of BUH, I think being home lessens the nervousness. I go to the FF most years whether BU is in it or not. It is a big trip. I am eating, sleeping, and mainly drinking hockey and the FF experience. Instead, at this moment, I am at work posting here. I am no less interested in the game and maybe when I leave work it will be different, but it just isn't the same feeling as being in DC. Also, I think BU had much more to prove in '09 with so many years between titles and their last FF experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                          I was more nervous in '09. I am looking at it another way than who the opponent is and how strong BU is. Unlike Friend of BUH, I think being home lessens the nervousness. I go to the FF most years whether BU is in it or not. It is a big trip. I am eating, sleeping, and mainly drinking hockey and the FF experience. Instead, at this moment, I am at work posting here. I am no less interested in the game and maybe when I leave work it will be different, but it just isn't the same feeling as being in DC. Also, I think BU had much more to prove in '09 with so many years between titles and their last FF experience.

Excuse me Tater, but I've seen you on those trips and "hockey" isn't the primary beverage you were drinking...

Comment

The '09 team was #1 for months - loaded with high-end talent and a lot of upper classmen. Anything short of the big prize in DC would have been a major failure (the dry spell adding to that feeling.) Of course many rue the day that puck hopped over a sliding D man's pads and into the net. #FourMoreYears.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

In 2009 I was more nervous about the Terriers themselves, who just squeezed by in Manchester and ditto for the HE final. As great as that team was, it seemed to be running out of gas (as was borne out in both the UVM game and definitely in the final).

For this season, past isn't prologue, of course, but the record pretty impressive, even the losses. As I recall, the only ones by more than a goal were to Dartmouth and the Eagles (and the latter involved an EAG.) So a Lake State style blow-out would be a surprise. Plus we've seen a bunch of wins where BU prevailed in spite of lousy starts. As for the Sioux, it certainly looks like they're way overdue, if there were anything to the "law of averages." But fortunately that's a myth. I see the game as a toss-up.

Comment

Coffee shop radio just played Sweet Caroline. I'm taking it as a positive omen.
                                Bugs Bunny - 96
                                Gas House Gorillas - 95

Comment

Working...
                                X