X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Remember that tons of UNH, Maine (well, maybe not Maine this year), BC and Lowell fans probably bought tickets anticipating that any of them could be here. NONE of them will cheer for BU (state schools won't cheer for a private school that is perceived to be somewhat "elitist" and the other one, another private school, well...we know about that...). My experience is that they may be "neutral" but typically as the game goes on they will root against us if it's close and the game gets exciting.
    I'm rooting for an all Hockey East final. If it happens, well, then you're on your own.
    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
      I couldn't help myself. I also agreed with pretty much everything there.

Your points 4 and 5 are huge. The D-men have to assume that a pass across the middle in the d-zone can be picked off even if they think the opposing player in the vicinity isn't aware of or expecting the pass.

I don't know how big Nodak is but since they're a a year older on average I'd have to assume they're bigger. This will make it difficult to play around with the puck though it could lead to some beneficial PP numbers. I did read that article saying that Nodak was faster than BU which surprises me. Since they are certainly bigger, if they're faster too how are they not undefeated? Do they just control the play but can't score? That will make for some stressful viewing. I was reading some comments on that article from fans of the western variety saying Eichel is good and all but Nodak has certainly seen faster players already this year. Let's hope that's how the Nodak players feel as well.

Nodak's depth is a little concerning, but I think everyone underestimates BUs 2nd and 3rd lines. Oksanen has more goals than anyone in this game besides Eichel. Hohmann has always been able to get something going when the team is stagnant. Greer has really picked up his game in the postseason. Lane can obviously contribute as well.

I'm also a little surprised that people think the Garden will have more fans opposing BU than supporting them. I can't see PC or UNO rooting to see Nodak in the final any more than BU. Will there really be that many local college hockey fans paying that much money to go to a game with no dog in the fight just to root against BU? That's some dedicated hatred.

I think the biggest concern is the team's emotional/mental stability. Can they settle their nerves. If they go down can they remain calm and stick to the game plan. Can they hold a lead? If things get chippy can they refrain from retaliation?

I'm interested to see Quinn's plan. Do they continue with business as usual or do they make some changes to confuse Nodak?
      I think a lot of what you read in these stories comes from people who have seen very little of the teams they are writing about.

North Dakota is not particularly big. Just glancing at the respective rosters, BU certainly seems taller, and probably heavier than UND.

UND is also not a "speed" team, regardless of what the USCHO story says. They have a couple of guys who can get up and down the ice, but you are not going to see a bunch of Nathan Gerbes zipping about making plays. I think they give the illusion of being a speed team, because they do play very hard. They are a very good "effort" team, so it always appears they are on the go.

If North Dakota is playing well, here is what you will see:

1. Offensively they look to get the puck in the zone, get one or two bodies in front of the goalie, and bomb away from the blue line. If they don't score on a screened shot, they try to win puck battles in front of the net for rebounds. They are very good winning battles along the wall, and look to spring scoring chances after winning those battles. But you are not going to see a bunch of "tic tac toe" beautiful passing plays to set up backdoor tap in goals.

2. Defensively they try to keep everything along the boards, will let you take all the shots from the outside you want, and will block a bunch of shots. Their defensemen are very mobile, and good at moving the puck, but are not necessarily big or strong, and they have struggled at times with big forwards who are willing to camp in front of McIntyre.

The talent on the team is clearly in goal, and then on the blue line. It's probably the deepest group of defensemen I can remember at UND, and they're generally pretty good at moving the puck out of the defensive zone, and finding open areas in the offensive zone in which to create scoring chances.

This team will not, under any stretch of the imagination, dazzle you with its offensive talent. They give the perception of being deep because it's just as likely the fourth line will score as the first line. But that doesn't mean they have four lines that are all of first line talent. It just means they have four lines that might be the ones who score.

If UND is to win this game, it will have to be something like 3-1 or 3-2, with McIntyre putting up numbers similar to those he's posted in the rest of his NCAA tournament games.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
        I'm rooting for an all Hockey East final.
        The same here. Good luck to the Terries tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          I think a lot of what you read in these stories comes from people who have seen very little of the teams they are writing about.
          Thanks for the insight! That's more along the lines of what I expected. What you described is the typical NHL philosophy..."pucks in, pucks out, pucks to the net, bodies in front." That's the Canadian style of hockey which has influenced Western college hockey for decades. The only "speed" teams I ever see from the West are some of the Minnesota teams. This BU team is a hybrid. We used to be a small, fast team (like BC has been for the last few years when they won championships), but somewhere along the way we have started going for bigger players. We can skate, but are just as likely to play the "possession" game. You WILL see tic-tac-toe passing if we're on our game. I think this is what some of the people who haven't really seen Eichel play like to point out as a "deficiency." He sets up his teammates and is just as content with making a great pass as he is with scoring. And, yes, we ARE top-heavy. Yes, Oksanen has a lot of goals but not too many lately. Everyone else that was mentioned "can" score. But it's NOT balanced as you describe ND is. For BU to win at this level, they will HAVE to get production from the first line. Period. If you stop them, our chances are greatly diminished. Of course, the TV time outs work in our favor because it just allows Quinn to get Eichel's line out there more. Also, BU has a great power play. They move the puck really well and once they establish possession in the zone they are very difficult to stop. The biggest question mark with the Terriers is their propensity for making "dangerous" passes. As one person recently described it, "the only reason they get away with some of these passes is because their opponents don't have the talent to capitalize on them." That likely won't be the case here and they will have to protect the puck better in their own end. Their inability to quickly and consistently move the puck out of their own end against Yale and UMD was somewhat disturbing. That's where their inexperience will be challenged. Quick decision-making and the avoidance of coughing up the puck deep in their own end will be the biggest factor in this game, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by goalguard View Post
            It's kind of curious. Lots of chatter on this thread and others about sweaters, pizza, beer, firearms, Charlie cards, and now recruits. All of this is very cheerful. But virtually nothing about tomorrow's game. Is everyone just happy that the Terriers got this far and assuming that this will finally be North Dakota's year?

Just wondering what people's expectations are.
            I dont know. Maybe the name of this thread implies something?

Comment

Originally posted by wasmania View Post
              I dont know. Maybe the name of this thread implies something?
              Hope so...

Comment

Bey-Eichel
                Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

BU press conference at the Garden earlier today. Scroll up to 18:30 unless you want to hear the host trying to entertain the media while waiting for Quinn and the players to arrive.

Quinn was the runner-up for the ACHA Spencer Penrose Award as top D1 coach. Mike Hastings of Minn. State won it.
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Are you kidding me with the second part of that first question? Oy.
                    It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                      Yeah...talk about deliberately casting a damper on things. What did they expect anyone would say?

But this is worse: "Hey, Ahti. Are people in Finland fired up for the Frozen Four? DO PEOPLE IN FINLAND KNOW WHAT COLLEGE HOCKEY IS?" Huh??????

Comment

Holy moses! Throw that guy out of the room.
                        Go BU!

Comment

And then, it was asked again. Sheesh!! Much better (and more entertaining) around the 50 min. mark was Quinn and Ahti talking about the latter's move from defense to left wing.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by smyler3 View Post
                            Holy moses! Throw that guy out of the room.
                            And then Dave Hendricks asks the same question.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

48:00!!! I love Bernie.
                              It Happened!!!!

Comment

And then Dave Hendricks asks the same question.
                                Unbelievable. Last guy I would have expected that from.

Now, if Dale Arnold was in the house...
                                Go BU!

Comment

Working...
                                X