Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

    NHL Central Scouting’s final rankings were issued today. Among North American skaters, Jack Eichel remained at #2. Also ranked were: 2015 recruit Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson #31; 2015 recruit Jordan Greenway #47; AJ Greer #69; 2016 recruit John McDermott #106; and Brien Diffley # 136.
    The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

      a tumble for greenway, no? down to 47?

      edit: looks like he was 22 mid season

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

        It's kind of curious. Lots of chatter on this thread and others about sweaters, pizza, beer, firearms, Charlie cards, and now recruits. All of this is very cheerful. But virtually nothing about tomorrow's game. Is everyone just happy that the Terriers got this far and assuming that this will finally be North Dakota's year?

        Just wondering what people's expectations are.

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

          Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          a tumble for greenway, no? down to 47?

          edit: looks like he was 22 mid season
          I wonder what they would say to justify significant drops like that and Casey Fitzgerald's 46 slot slide. Different people looked at them that hadn't seen them by January?

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

            Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            a tumble for greenway, no? down to 47?

            edit: looks like he was 22 mid season
            Greenway missed a bunch of games with an injury and took a while to get back in the groove. He's been more productive lately and will get a good look from scouts next week at the World U18s in Switzerland. Team USA's roster was announced and two of the three call-ups from the U17s are Clayton Keller and recruiting target Chad Krys, both of whom have been with the U18s in recent weeks and putting up points. Charlie McAvoy is the top-scoring d-man on the U18s, but he's not draft eligible 'til 2016 and is projected as a 1st or 2nd rounder.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

              Originally posted by goalguard View Post
              It's kind of curious. Lots of chatter on this thread and others about sweaters, pizza, beer, firearms, Charlie cards, and now recruits. All of this is very cheerful. But virtually nothing about tomorrow's game. Is everyone just happy that the Terriers got this far and assuming that this will finally be North Dakota's year?

              Just wondering what people's expectations are.
              Preferring the fun chatter. Because I'm TOO NERVOUS to think about the game.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Preferring the fun chatter. Because I'm TOO NERVOUS to think about the game.
                Ahh ... I get it, happy thoughts.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                  Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                  NHL Central Scouting’s final rankings were issued today. Among North American skaters, Jack Eichel remained at #2. Also ranked were: 2015 recruit Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson #31; 2015 recruit Jordan Greenway #47; AJ Greer #69; 2016 recruit John McDermott #106; and Brien Diffley # 136.
                  I think Greer has slid to, but that is no surprise. While he looks like he could turn into a beast, his first year production has not been great.

                  JFK has certainly been a pleasant surprise, given that he was a pretty late pick-up. He and Letunov should be fun to watch.
                  BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                    Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                    I wonder what they would say to justify significant drops like that and Casey Fitzgerald's 46 slot slide. Different people looked at them that hadn't seen them by January?
                    think bracco took a pretty big slide too

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                      Originally posted by goalguard View Post
                      Just wondering what people's expectations are.
                      OK...I'll bite. Listen, we can bring up the whole "We don't want to compete with the (basketball) Final Four so we have to put an extra week off in" thing, but it DOES sort of dampen things. At this point, we're just ready for the games. At this point in the season, there's not much to analyze. This is what BU needs to do to win:

                      1) Get off to a good start so they don't get behind
                      2) Get a solid goaltending performance
                      3) Stay out of the penalty box
                      4) Don't give the puck away in your own end (or a corollary to that would be move it out of your own end QUICKLY)
                      5) Not depend on a third period comeback

                      These things would apply no matter who the opponent is. Other than that, unless people have seen a lot of North Dakota, what is there to say? We know BU, we DON'T know the Sioux. I know it's not the same team that we tied and beat last year, so let's hope that we forget about that and not go in overconfident. Do we match up well? Who knows? Typically the strategy of any Western team is to clog up the middle and check hard in the corners to negate our speed. But apparently (at least according to the USCHO headline) this North Dakota team is faster than we are. Do we try to skate it in? Do we dump and chase? Can we change our style depending upon the opponent? We won't know the answers to any of these questions until the game begins.

                      If I were going to predict the outcome, I would not want to do so in a vacuum. Therefore, I am going to weigh several factors, including "recent" history, which shows us, contrary to what some would want us to believe, that there is NOT an "inherent" advantage for the Western teams, despite how great they think the NCHC is. The argument that "everyone beat each other up" doesn't wash. Winning teams win...period. It doesn't matter who they play. Every team in Hockey East didn't go 11-11. And there are many "good" teams in that league, too. But only a couple of "exceptional" ones. The superior teams emerged by the end of the year. Everyone said UMD would beat us. Well, I just looked at the fact that they had 16 losses. Sorry, a team with 16 losses should not be favored over a team with 7 losses. It doesn't matter how many OT games we have won, or how many 3rd period comebacks we have needed to do it. Would I prefer that they wouldn't do this to us every game? Sure, but the reality is, at the end of the day, BU has the FEWEST losses in the country, and they SHOULD win, period.

                      Additionally, since 1999, the record in National Championships is: West - 8 East 7. BUT, the East has won SIX of the last seven, including the most recent two. It's time that people realize that, although the styles of play may differ, the East has caught up and it's no longer sufficient to automatically assume that the West is "better until proven otherwise."

                      One other thing, I think the team should prepare for the reality that a majority of the crowd will be against them (I know that sounds crazy to "outsiders," but it's very likely the case) so that they won't be unnerved.

                      Hopefully I have now stimulated a real discussion (but keep in mind many people are now "en route" so there may not be much more before the games begin).
                      Last edited by chickod; 04-08-2015, 01:12 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                        Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                        think bracco took a pretty big slide too
                        So he did, I get that these are teenagers they're evaluating, but I just don't think so many kids fluctuate so wildly over 3 months. Maybe I'm wrong.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                          Originally posted by chickod View Post
                          ok...i'll bite. Listen, we can bring up the whole "we don't want to compete with the (basketball) final four so we have to put an extra week off in" thing, but it does sort of dampen things. At this point, we're just ready for the games. At this point in the season, there's not much to analyze. This is what bu needs to do to win:

                          1) score more goals than north dakota
                          fyp :d

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                            Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                            fyp :d
                            Hey, they're trying to stimulate a discussion here, man!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                              Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              Hey, they're trying to stimulate a discussion here, man!
                              I couldn't help myself. I also agreed with pretty much everything there.

                              Originally posted by chickod View Post
                              OK...I'll bite. Listen, we can bring up the whole "We don't want to compete with the (basketball) Final Four so we have to put an extra week off in" thing, but it DOES sort of dampen things. At this point, we're just ready for the games. At this point in the season, there's not much to analyze. This is what BU needs to do to win:

                              1) Get off to a good start so they don't get behind
                              2) Get a solid goaltending performance
                              3) Stay out of the penalty box
                              4) Don't give the puck away in your own end (or a corollary to that would be move it out of your own end QUICKLY)
                              5) Not depend on a third period comeback

                              But apparently (at least according to the USCHO headline) this North Dakota team is faster than we are. Do we try to skate it in? Do we dump and chase? Can we change our style depending upon the opponent? We won't know the answers to any of these questions until the game begins.

                              Sure, but the reality is, at the end of the day, BU has the FEWEST losses in the country, and they SHOULD win, period.
                              Your points 4 and 5 are huge. The D-men have to assume that a pass across the middle in the d-zone can be picked off even if they think the opposing player in the vicinity isn't aware of or expecting the pass.

                              I don't know how big Nodak is but since they're a a year older on average I'd have to assume they're bigger. This will make it difficult to play around with the puck though it could lead to some beneficial PP numbers. I did read that article saying that Nodak was faster than BU which surprises me. Since they are certainly bigger, if they're faster too how are they not undefeated? Do they just control the play but can't score? That will make for some stressful viewing. I was reading some comments on that article from fans of the western variety saying Eichel is good and all but Nodak has certainly seen faster players already this year. Let's hope that's how the Nodak players feel as well.

                              Nodak's depth is a little concerning, but I think everyone underestimates BUs 2nd and 3rd lines. Oksanen has more goals than anyone in this game besides Eichel. Hohmann has always been able to get something going when the team is stagnant. Greer has really picked up his game in the postseason. Lane can obviously contribute as well.

                              I'm also a little surprised that people think the Garden will have more fans opposing BU than supporting them. I can't see PC or UNO rooting to see Nodak in the final any more than BU. Will there really be that many local college hockey fans paying that much money to go to a game with no dog in the fight just to root against BU? That's some dedicated hatred.

                              I think the biggest concern is the team's emotional/mental stability. Can they settle their nerves. If they go down can they remain calm and stick to the game plan. Can they hold a lead? If things get chippy can they refrain from retaliation?

                              I'm interested to see Quinn's plan. Do they continue with business as usual or do they make some changes to confuse Nodak?

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: BU season thread 4 - 2014-15 // destiny's children

                                All good points. Just to touch on a couple...

                                Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                                I'm also a little surprised that people think the Garden will have more fans opposing BU than supporting them. I can't see PC or UNO rooting to see Nodak in the final any more than BU. Will there really be that many local college hockey fans paying that much money to go to a game with no dog in the fight just to root against BU? That's some dedicated hatred.
                                Remember that tons of UNH, Maine (well, maybe not Maine this year), BC and Lowell fans probably bought tickets anticipating that any of them could be here. NONE of them will cheer for BU (state schools won't cheer for a private school that is perceived to be somewhat "elitist" and the other one, another private school, well...we know about that...). My experience is that they may be "neutral" but typically as the game goes on they will root against us if it's close and the game gets exciting.

                                Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                                I think the biggest concern is the team's emotional/mental stability. Can they settle their nerves. If they go down can they remain calm and stick to the game plan. Can they hold a lead? If things get chippy can they refrain from retaliation?
                                As I've said all year, the wild card is the inexperience. I know that DQ says (and I paraphrase) "when you've played 40 games you're not a freshman anymore." My answer to that is, they're more of a freshman than the North Dakota juniors and seniors!! Although they have stepped up and met each successive challenge, we just don't know what this weekend will bring. If they get a bad break (what comes to mind is 2004 when Maine had that early goal against Denver disallowed and never recovered), how will they react?

                                Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                                I'm interested to see Quinn's plan. Do they continue with business as usual or do they make some changes to confuse Nodak?
                                That coaches line of "We're gonna do what we do" always bugged me. But at this point in the season, can you really teach an old dog (get it...DOG ) new tricks? This isn't Belichick who puts in a specific game plan for each opponent. How much of that can you do in hockey anyway? One would think that they will most likely adopt the philosophy of 'This is what got us here all year, so we'll stick with it and see how far we get today.' If they need to make in game adjustments, I'm sure they will do so. And as far as confusing Nodak, we're assuming that they have seen enough of us to EXPECT something specific, which I don't think is the case. One of the intriguing things about this matchup (and it's the same reason I didn't want and still don't like interleague play in baseball) is the regional aspect, that "unknown quantity." I remember in 1978 how exciting it was to play Wisconsin in the semis. Then we played BC in the final (and this is not going to come out as it's intended). It was a REAL letdown. I know that when OC said "We shouldn't have to beat BC for the Nationals...we can do that anytime" he was just taking a shot at them. But what I meant was that it really wasn't fun playing a team we have played ten gazillion times in the biggest game of the year. To me, that's the best thing about this game. Nobody really knows what to expect, and that's what makes it fun!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X