Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Since there doesn't seem to be a way to use Intagram without an account, can someone post what they are seeing or just email me the image?
    info@johnsonsjerseys.net
    Ryan J
    Just go here:
    https://instagram.com/mtu_hockey/
    You'll be able to see the pics without an account that way.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Based on instagram picks it looks like the new whites are just a mimic of the current blacks...disappointing.
      I'm a die hard Tech fan, but a copy of previous work... disappointing is the best word.
      If that was our best effort for the 95th anniversary season...

"Ok time to design our new jersey for next season. We have a lot of great throwback possibilities we could do for our 95th season. What did you guys come up with during the off season?"
      "I'm just spitballin' here but if we just copy what we did for the black set, we can wrap this meeting and hit the golf course for the day."
      "Sounds good to me, let's do it...Place the order."
      *Sigh*
      Holding out hope for at least an awesome anniversary patch...
      Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I'm a die hard Tech fan, but a copy of previous work... disappointing is the best word.
        If that was our best effort for the 95th anniversary season...

"Ok time to design our new jersey for next season. We have a lot of great throwback possibilities we could do for our 95th season. What did you guys come up with during the off season?"
        "I'm just spitballin' here but if we just copy what we did for the black set, we can wrap this meeting and hit the golf course for the day."
        "Sounds good to me, let's do it...Place the order."
        *Sigh*
        Holding out hope for at least an awesome anniversary patch...
        Ryan J
        We shall see, I'm disappointed in how short lived the Michigan Tech with # on front was in both colors. I'm not really disappointed overall in our jerseys if the new whites are that way since they have the golds and the creams yet. It is a fun variety.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I saw someone already posted on the Instagram photos that only "Huskies" should be on the front of the jerseys. After half a century of use, it's ok that we don't put it on everything...

Ryan J

Comment

I saw someone already posted on the Instagram photos that only "Huskies" should be on the front of the jerseys. After half a century of use, it's ok that we don't put it on everything...

Ryan J
            Probably the same guy who complains every year about $5 parking.

Comment

*cane tap*

Comment

I think your gold sweaters are the best in the WCHA, but I won't like your black road ones (and white homes ones, if they are indeed copies of the road sweater) until you get rid of the boring roundel logo https://yt3.ggpht.com/-w4Zslwvpjjw/A...k-no/photo.jpg

And piano dogs needs to go ASAP.
                Last edited by Critical Thinker; 09-03-2015, 12:37 AM. Reason: bad image link
                BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

I don't see Piano Dog going away anytime soon. He is fully integrated into the University, well beyond the scope of just the hockey team. The hockey program also seems to be utilizing the "round mound of Huskies Hockey town" logo extensively as well (team website, Twitter, Facebook and now Instagram). I feel this one also will be around for a while. This seems to be our new "image" if they've plastered it on both primary jerseys. I wouldn't mind it so much if they would stick it up on the shoulders or somewhere else in a smaller version.

I think my biggest issues is that I really dislike a lack of creativity or fear of designing outside the box (straight stripes, block numbers, block letters, stay the course, don't stray from the path, blah-blah-blah...)
                  Ryan J

Comment

My issue with both the Piano Dog and the "roundel" is that both were instituted almost unilaterally, without any kind of brand strategy or planning. The Piano Dog came from a class project by former Tech defenseman Ken Plaquin and started leaking into uniforms in the early 1990's, while the roundel (if my story is straight) was designed by tMel without any approval process from the rest of the department. I'm OK with the roundel since it incorporates the script Huskies, but it can be a little unwieldy.

There was supposed to be a survey going out at the end of the spring about replacing the Piano Dog, but that was tabled. I'm led to believe that apparel will now be offered in what's best deemed as a "retro" line soon, so maybe we'll see the square MTU logo return or even the 1980 Husky in the circle.

Anything but the ****ed Piano Dog.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                      My issue with both the Piano Dog and the "roundel" is that both were instituted almost unilaterally, without any kind of brand strategy or planning. The Piano Dog came from a class project by former Tech defenseman Ken Plaquin and started leaking into uniforms in the early 1990's, while the roundel (if my story is straight) was designed by tMel without any approval process from the rest of the department. I'm OK with the roundel since it incorporates the script Huskies, but it can be a little unwieldy.

There was supposed to be a survey going out at the end of the spring about replacing the Piano Dog, but that was tabled. I'm led to believe that apparel will now be offered in what's best deemed as a "retro" line soon, so maybe we'll see the square MTU logo return or even the 1980 Husky in the circle.

I was emailed an extensive survey regarding the logo last spring. I hate the piano dog like everybody else. I don't have a problem with the new uniforms...as long as the team is winning. Besides, the golds and the cream throwbacks are some of the best in college hockey.
                      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

The survey wasn't tabled. I received it and filled it out - it was an extensive survey, and pretty well done with examples of other iconic logos and programs for comparison and preferences. I know of several others getting it as well.

I believe they are going to be looking at sales of "retro" logo items vs. new logos like the awful piano grandpa dog, for future marketing direction(s). I know there is a strong push to return back to incorporating the script Huskies as one of the primary logos in athletics and marketing.

I am ambivalent with regards to the roundel. I can see why it was designed - it is a pretty clever compromise. It incorporates the iconic Huskies script, while also writing out "Michigan Tech" as the University is so focused on. Beyond that, I don't mind the new jerseys (as Shirtless said, it is a nice mix with the throwback creams, golds, and the Bruins set). I don't mind the time-tested standards of traditional jersey designs, especially when they include really cool throwbacks - don't fix what isn't broke! I find that much better than having a design that's an eyesore of a jersey.

That would be fantastic if the square block nested mtu logo came back - a definite symbol of great memories!

Comment

Still waiting to see this one on the ice again... They can add a flags in the towers that says "Huskies" on one side and "Piano Dog" on the other (no not really).
                          I would just change the word "TECH" at the bottom to black so it can be seen. Boom - next alternate jersey done. *mic drop*
                          Ryan J

Comment

Lose that bottom stripe and it's not bad.

Comment

good god its September. start the hockey already.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

They won't do it but it would be cool if they slightly updated the old Husky logo as the new logo.
                                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Working...
                                X