Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    First let me say that the viewing experience at the Mac is one of the best, if not the best in college hockey... but..
    When you have 2500 seats and you sell almost that many standing room tickets, and do it several times a year, that means to me that you need more seats. I would think a healthy ratio of maybe 5 to 1, seats to standees is about right. selling 2000 standing room tickets seems like an awful lot.

Second, it's about more than seats. The food services are terrible and Tech could really make substantially more money on food if the service was good and people didn't have to wait for 30 minutes to get it.

Third, bathrooms. once again, bathrooms are fine with 2500 people but when you have 4000 or 3000 even, the waits are long, they run out of paper, and on the whole it's not that good. You should be able to go to the bathroom, get some pizza, and be back to your seat between periods, and that does not happen now.
    Forth, we could use a place for the Hall of Fame and some additional suites.
    Fifth, check out what newer arena's around the country are doing. Making the games an experience brings in more people.

So I'm for having an expansion sooner rather than later. I think additional, similar quality, seats are important in the scheme of it.
    East end bar overlooking the ice. This is about the 14th time I've posted it, and it is still the best idea.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I seem to remember some drawings of seating below the suites, which looked like retractable bleachers at ice level. That would be a good start, even if they were only used for high profile games. And the concession/concourse area's are terrible. Too many people in a space far too small for the crowds of the past few seasons. I've also heard that a space below the suites has been considered for beer sales, but those people would have to remain in that roped off fun spot.

Comment

I'm not thrilled with retractable seats . If I paid for a ticket I want a real seat like everyone else
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'm not thrilled with retractable seats . If I paid for a ticket I want a real seat like everyone else
          I would expect a reserved bleacher seat to cost the same as an SRO ticket, since they would be filling in that space at the end(s) ordinarily open for standing.

Comment

First let me say that the viewing experience at the Mac is one of the best, if not the best in college hockey... but..
            When you have 2500 seats and you sell almost that many standing room tickets, and do it several times a year, that means to me that you need more seats. I would think a healthy ratio of maybe 5 to 1, seats to standees is about right. selling 2000 standing room tickets seems like an awful lot.

Second, it's about more than seats. The food services are terrible and Tech could really make substantially more money on food if the service was good and people didn't have to wait for 30 minutes to get it.

Third, bathrooms. once again, bathrooms are fine with 2500 people but when you have 4000 or 3000 even, the waits are long, they run out of paper, and on the whole it's not that good. You should be able to go to the bathroom, get some pizza, and be back to your seat between periods, and that does not happen now.
            Fifth, check out what newer arena's around the country are doing. Making the games an experience brings in more people.

So I'm for having an expansion sooner rather than later. I think additional, similar quality, seats are important in the scheme of it.
            Yeah, but at what point does it make sense trying to shoehorn all of that into the Mac, which has been open since 1972, versus building a whole new arena with all of those bells and whistles.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

• Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
              Yeah, but at what point does it make sense trying to shoehorn all of that into the Mac, which has been open since 1972, versus building a whole new arena with all of those bells and whistles.
              You wouldn't need to shoehorn it at all, it fits just fine at the east end

Comment

They won't rent out the biggest two suites to normal folks, GPL has tried the last two years. After that first year, we were told that MTU "doesn't want that large of an opponent presence" in the marquee suites. The new reason is that that save the two biggest suites for alumni/big donors/prez/etc No problem with that, btw.

MTU is on the edge of expansion. If the crowds stick, then I could see it. If the honeymoon of success wanes, then I could see them standing pat.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                  The short version of why:
                  $10M < $100M
                  Unless you know someone who can kick in the extra $90M, I'm guessing they will go with the renovation / expansion option. (And I would be VERY surprised if they spent anything even close to $5M to blow out the end of the rink.)
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    The short version of why:
                    $10M < $100M
                    Unless you know someone who can kick in the extra $90M, I'm guessing they will go with the renovation / expansion option. (And I would be VERY surprised if they spent anything even close to $5M to blow out the end of the rink.)
                    Ryan J
                    Just my opinion, but anything worth doing is worth doing right. I hope they go with the high end options.

Comment

[QUOTE=MTU is on the edge of expansion. If the crowds stick, then I could see it. If the honeymoon of success wanes, then I could see them standing pat.[/QUOTE]

How close to this edge?

I don't see them building new even if they had a $100 million laying around. What is wrong that needs correcting that is not possible with a retrofit? Personally I enjoy how the crowd feels on top of the ice and a new arena would most likely not have this. NEW does not always mean better. Example the Berry which NMU plays at is not a great place. Another is the Amsoil arena where I've had several tours and seen several games at, which it does have some nice touches there are STILL obstructed view seating.

Comment

I agree there won't be a new building. They'll just expand the current one.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I see zero chance Tech gets a new rink in the next 20 years. The seats alone are a 20+ year capital investment to say nothing of the videoboard or suites. You don't add those items to the building if you are even remotely thinking about a new barn. If you look at the teams that get those new $50M+ rinks they usually have one or more of the following associated with it:
                          - Alumni who donates the majority of the cost for construction
                          - New team, no current rink to speak of
                          - Formerly played in an unacceptable rink (really old, or seating capacity way too low)
                          - Rink was owned by the local city / county, not the university

I don't think Tech falls into any of those categories, unless John Scott becomes a 50 goal scorer and gets a much larger contract. If Tech were to get a new rink, in today's days of tight public school budgets, I'm pretty sure it would be something along the lines of NMU or LSSU not the Amsoil or Ralph. Those former rinks IMO would NOT be an upgrade from the JMSIA so there is no point in doing it.

Ryan J
                          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 08-23-2015, 07:16 PM.
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            I see zero chance Tech gets a new rink in the next 20 years. The seats alone are a 20+ year capital investment to say nothing of the videoboard or suites. You don't add those items to the building if you are even remotely thinking about a new barn. If you look at the teams that get those new $50M+ rinks they usually have one or more of the following associated with it:
                            - Alumni who donates the majority of the cost for construction
                            - New team, no current rink to speak of
                            - Formerly played in an unacceptable rink (really old, or seating capacity way too low)
                            - Rink was owned by the local city / county, not the university

I don't think Tech falls into any of those categories, unless John Scott becomes a 50 goal scorer and gets a much larger contract. If Tech were to get a new rink, in today's days of tight public school budgets, I'm pretty sure it would be something along the lines of NMU or LSSU not the Amsoil or Ralph. Those former rinks IMO would NOT be an upgrade from the JMSIA so there is no point in doing it.

Ryan J
                            I honestly put the Amsoil on par with the Mac. The one upside of Amsoil is the location, and that is admittedly a HUGE benefit for the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                              Any new arena they'd come up with will give us a poorer viewing experience than the Mac, why pay 10-20 times the money to get an arena that is a worse experience than the current one?
                              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You do know you can get your hand stamped, leave the arena, use the bathrooms out in the SDC (if you head for the other end of the building or the 2nd floor you have no lines at all), and then get back into the arena before the start of the next period

Comment

Working...
                                X