Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

way too cool!
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

oh and its hotter than Hades in 906 land too
      Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        It'd help if you took your chook and sorels off

Comment

No, Hell is Alabama in August ...

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            It'd help if you took your chook and sorels off
            why? I might want to go ice fishing later in the day.

GFM - I stand corrected - I'll bet it is hot in Alabama - and no lake or ocean breezes.
            Boosh Factor 4

Comment

why? I might want to go ice fishing later in the day.

GFM - I stand corrected - I'll bet it is hot in Alabama - and no lake or ocean breezes.
              We have lakes — I'm getting married on a bluff over one next month — and we do have the beach ... at the other end of the state ...

But it could be worse. I was in Houston for the first week of August. No thank you ...

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

So a few questions. Is our new coach up in Houghton?, Anyone meet him? Are the players on campus yet? Any new capital projects that are in the works?
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                  So a few questions. Is our new coach up in Houghton?, Anyone meet him? Are the players on campus yet? Any new capital projects that are in the works?
                  assuming yes

no

yes

haven't heard of any. work like them to get started on something. (like punching out the other end of the arena)
                  Boosh Factor 4

Comment

I know it has been thrown out there quite frequently, but I don't see the appeal of adding more seats on the end of the rink, or an expansion in that area in the near future. When I see ALL the seats packed for a couple seasons and fans 2-3 deep on the glass, then I would talk about building renovation/expansion. I don't think Tech is there... yet.
                    Ryan J
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      I know it has been thrown out there quite frequently, but I don't see the appeal of adding more seats on the end of the rink, or an expansion in that area in the near future. When I see ALL the seats packed for a couple seasons and fans 2-3 deep on the glass, then I would talk about building renovation/expansion. I don't think Tech is there... yet.
                      Ryan J
                      Well maybe and not to discount what you say but.... when you have 6 to 8 games a year that have over 1000, and near to 2000 for some games, standing room tickets sold, it's time to find seats for those people.

Comment

That's good now that we get a few big crowds, but in my opinion you want to create demand for tickets not just create seats for the times you get the big crowd. The best way to do that is limit supply. It's nice that folks pack the house for Michigan or Northern or Carnival or some other big game, but ultimately you want those seats filled for every home game. I would like to see it to the point where Mel doesn't have to do a promo every week about "get your tickets now". I want to hear "Sorry we sold out for this weekend, but we'll be back int three weeks so don't wait and miss out..." Nothing creates demand like being told you can't have something... I'm not saying Tech is going to pack the rink for an inter-squad game, but it would be nice to have 2000 season ticket holders who are paying to see LSSU, Huntsville, etc and not just the big names that come to town. When that happens consistently, then you not only have the crowd to require the seats but all the $$$$ to blow out the end of the rink and do something.
                        Ryan J
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          That's good now that we get a few big crowds, but in my opinion you want to create demand for tickets not just create seats for the times you get the big crowd. The best way to do that is limit supply. It's nice that folks pack the house for Michigan or Northern or Carnival or some other big game, but ultimately you want those seats filled for every home game. I would like to see it to the point where Mel doesn't have to do a promo every week about "get your tickets now". I want to hear "Sorry we sold out for this weekend, but we'll be back int three weeks so don't wait and miss out..." Nothing creates demand like being told you can't have something... I'm not saying Tech is going to pack the rink for an inter-squad game, but it would be nice to have 2000 season ticket holders who are paying to see LSSU, Huntsville, etc and not just the big names that come to town. When that happens consistently, then you not only have the crowd to require the seats but all the $$$$ to blow out the end of the rink and do something.
                          Ryan J
                          Are the suites sold out? Demand for them? Advertising along the boards seem full. Ad space prices increased? Season ticket sales rate increased? There must be some plan or several sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Such problems to have.

Winning solves all problems Thank you tMel

Comment

Are the suites sold out? Demand for them? Advertising along the boards seem full. Ad space prices increased? Season ticket sales rate increased? There must be some plan or several sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Such problems to have.

All this.

I think knocking out that east wall largely depends on the demand for more suites. Adding a few hundred seats/bleachers for the standing room crowd is actually relatively easy in that scenario.

Interestingly, looking at the booking website, it doesn't seem that Tech is shaking us down for a few extra dollars against NMU or other possible "marquee" match-ups this year. Of course, it's possible that they are waiving it for folks who book/pay in advance.

Comment

Such problems to have.

I asked about getting a suite for the season and was put on a waiting list. I'll be slumming it in the stands this year, but at least I won't have a net in the way.

I don't think Tech needs more seats. They need more people showing up for the games against the Alaskas and Ferris States.

Comment

First let me say that the viewing experience at the Mac is one of the best, if not the best in college hockey... but..
                                When you have 2500 seats and you sell almost that many standing room tickets, and do it several times a year, that means to me that you need more seats. I would think a healthy ratio of maybe 5 to 1, seats to standees is about right. selling 2000 standing room tickets seems like an awful lot.

Second, it's about more than seats. The food services are terrible and Tech could really make substantially more money on food if the service was good and people didn't have to wait for 30 minutes to get it.

Third, bathrooms. once again, bathrooms are fine with 2500 people but when you have 4000 or 3000 even, the waits are long, they run out of paper, and on the whole it's not that good. You should be able to go to the bathroom, get some pizza, and be back to your seat between periods, and that does not happen now.
                                Forth, we could use a place for the Hall of Fame and some additional suites.
                                Fifth, check out what newer arena's around the country are doing. Making the games an experience brings in more people.

So I'm for having an expansion sooner rather than later. I think additional, similar quality, seats are important in the scheme of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X