Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
    Trevor Cope is now committed to American International. Not a big surprise.
    I would say I'm disappointed that we have to over-recruit, but then I went and looked at Heisenberg's list and we are far from the worst offenders. What the hell Maine? Dartmouth? WMU? CC? Vermont?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I would say I'm disappointed that we have to over-recruit, but then I went and looked at Heisenberg's list and we are far from the worst offenders. What the hell Maine? Dartmouth? WMU? CC? Vermont?
      yeah, there's this. >snort<

University of Vermont hockey program lands 13-year-old recruit
      http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/u...recruit-080615

"According to hockey scouting website EliteProspects.com, Cipollone is 5-foot-1 and 119 pounds. He reportedly just turned 13 on May 14, and he would not be draft-eligible until 2020."
      Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

John Scott played in the alumni game last night and he dropped the gloves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...FaCNY1nyE#t=70

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
          John Scott played in the alumni game last night and he dropped the gloves. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...FaCNY1nyE#t=70
          beautiful! love how he shoved the ref after the "fight".
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            welcome to real hockey and real hockey fans Coach Shuchuk!! I like bulls in china shops when it comes to hockey. and if tMel hired him, he's good.
            Shuey is a great hire for you guys. While I wouldn't go so far as to say I "know" him, I have had several conversations with him over the years and he's a tremendous guy. While my fellow (understandably disgruntled) Badger fans may be down on him after last year's disaster, just looking back a year and you can see the success he had with some guys he had four years to work with. Mike Mersch came in looking like a baby moose on roller skates his freshman year. His senior year he was All B1G and All American and last year led the AHL in playoff scoring and his team to the Calder Cup. Mark Zengerle came in as all flash and no substance, but by his senior year he was a complete two way player, hard nosed and a leader. He was first team All B1G, tournament MVP, and last year was an integral part of the AHL's Grand Rapids Griffins great season as a rookie. Tyler Barnes turned in to a top line scorer under Schuey and last year dominated in the ECHL, leading his team in scoring and finishing in the top 10 in the league as a rookie. There are other forwards... Jefferson Dahl, Derek Lee, the Little brothers... these are guys that got the absolute most out of what gifts they had, and to me, that's a mark of a pretty good coach. I mean, just about anybody could coach a Nic Kerdiles to be a great college player...

I just think Schuey is going to be a great fit in your program and I certainly wish him and Tech all the success in the world.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

?!$#*?!!..... This is what I get for speculating.
              Maybe I can trade it in for an AIC jersey with a Yellow-Jacket on the front?
              Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                I think McKay held his own - split decision from this judge.
                Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Good for Trevor....he'll be a solid player for AIC. It was pretty clear that if he came to Houghton, he'd spend a lot of bench time.
                  I suppose we're likely to see more players verbal and then not make it to Tech as the team becomes more competitive, but I would think that it should be pretty rare....maybe a player every few years.
                  Cope would have been a starter in the Russell era.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    I think McKay held his own - split decision from this judge.
                    Ryan J
                    I don't think Scott was trying too hard, as evidenced by allowing McKay to get the takedown.

Comment

had he really tried Scott could have killed anyone on the ice. it was fun, after the takedown, he laid on the ice and laughed.
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

I would like to say how absolutely fantastic it is to have a program like this after all these years of not having it. I grin from ear to ear reading what's going on, and people come up to me now and ask me about the Tech program. So I'm enjoying it immensely.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          I wouldn't call it over recruiting. Trevor was a player who was never going to get scholarship money from MTU and because other things have gone so well on the recruiting front, it just made the most sense for him to go elsewhere if he wanted to play. That seems like a huge difference from promising a ton more than that and then backing out. From what I've known over the years, MTU has always been honest with him and he really wanted to be a Husky but the writing was on the wall that he'd be relegated to the bench ALOT and he moved on. It seems like this is more a good thing overall.
                          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Fair enough.

Comment

The Mining Gazette's article with some quotes from Alumni this past weekend for those that didn't see it.
                              http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009

Alumni excited about hockey program - August 11, 2015

Daver Karnosky - Sports Writer (dkarnosky@mininggazette.com) , The Daily Mining Gazette

HOUGHTON - In the three years following former head coach Jamie Russell's second double-digit win campaign, the Michigan Tech hockey program won just 15 games. In current head coach Mel Pearson's first season, they won 16.

Since he was brought in to replace Russell, Pearson's teams have accomplished a number of goals in much the same way you might check off items on a checklist.

First, there was a playoff series victory and a trip to the Western Collegiate Hockey Association Final Five. Then, there was a win at the Great Lakes Invitational. Then there was a sweep of Michigan State, a near repeat of the GLI victory with an overtime loss in the title game. Finally, in Year Four, there were home playoff games, another trip to the WCHA Frozen Four, and a berth in the NCAA Tournament for the first time since Pearson suited up for the Black and Gold as a player.

"It's unbelievable," said former defenseman John Scott. "I couldn't be more happy."

This past weekend, the hockey program honored many of its alumni with a game and many events around the game. For some, it was the first time they had been back in several seasons. For others, it was a chance to see the improvements to the building, both the seats and the scoreboard.

One fact was not missed by any of them, Pearson has the program moving in the right direction.

"Mel is solid," said former defenseman Scott White. "[He's a] good man and a good coach. He understands the game and understands the business. Kids want to come here. Bottom line, that's a good thing."

Currently getting ready for his eighth National Hockey League season and first with the Arizona Coyotes, Scott is extremely proud of his alma mater's accomplishments.

"It's nice because I still play, obviously." said Scott. "I run into guys who played for Wisconsin or North Dakota or Michigan. Now I can do a little bragging myself. It's unbelievable what [Coach Pearson] has done for the game. It's great for this area."

Older alumni also have taken notice of the return to form of the hockey program. The program's all-time leading scorer, Mike Zuke, swells with pride when he sees where things seem to be heading.

"It's great to come up here, especially after a winning season," said Zuke. "Mel has done a great job, as have the other coaches."

Zuke also mentioned changes that cannot be seen, but instead felt.

"It's the atmosphere, the positive atmosphere," said Zuke. "From the alumni. You know, it trickles down from the players to the coaches to the alumni. The alumni get excited when the team is doing well. It's great for the city and great for the school."

With everything Pearson's teams have accomplished already, it certainly has become an exciting time to be a student, an alum, or a community member. The hockey world has taken notice as well.

Scott perhaps sums it up best.

"We are not too far away from a national championship," said Scott. "I think."

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                The Mining Gazette's article with some quotes from Alumni this past weekend for those that didn't see it.
                                http://www.mininggazette.com/page/co....html?nav=5009
                                It is pretty crazy. In the last 5 years this team has gone from being one of the worst in the country, bottom tier Atlantic Hockey bad, and complete despair, to the point where John Scott's quote at the end doesn't seem preposterous. It actually could happen. Lots of things have to go right for that kind of run to take place, but now there is legitimate hope.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X