Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Did son Alex play at all last year? Be interesting to see if he transfers, and if so, if he will be able to earn any ice time at Tech.
    Pearson did welcome Alex, along with the rest of the family via twitter. Not that it means he's transferring to Tech. I'm glad Schuey ended up with a D1 job, now that he has actual D1 experience, which he did not have when Eaves hired him. He may have been part of the problem @ UW, the guy himself could score like no tomorrow when he played, but the forwards under his direction never developed very well and the PP sucked. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, and he kinda comes across as a bull in a china shop once and awhile, he'll be fun to deal with. I do wish him all the best.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
      Yeah, it's actually sad to see. I mean I LOVE seeing them lose as I have plenty of friends down here that are big fans, but they should not be that bad.
      Yeah they should.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
        Pearson did welcome Alex, along with the rest of the family via twitter. Not that it means he's transferring to Tech. I'm glad Schuey ended up with a D1 job, now that he has actual D1 experience, which he did not have when Eaves hired him. He may have been part of the problem @ UW, the guy himself could score like no tomorrow when he played, but the forwards under his direction never developed very well and the PP sucked. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, and he kinda comes across as a bull in a china shop once and awhile, he'll be fun to deal with. I do wish him all the best.
        I am not that kind. Hated the hire when Eaves hired him, and glad to see him go, I just wish his poor recruiting and coaching would have cost Eaves his job too. But I am just an idiot fan to him, so whatever. That's the best I can manage. Maybe Alex can transfer too. Good luck with the hire....
        gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          I am not that kind. Hated the hire when Eaves hired him, and glad to see him go, I just wish his poor recruiting and coaching would have cost Eaves his job too. But I am just an idiot fan to him, so whatever. That's the best I can manage. Maybe Alex can transfer too. Good luck with the hire....
          well I might also be an idiot, but apparently not everyone shares your opinion as to his abilities.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I'm generally positive on the Shuchuck hiring. He was probably the strongest applicant and brings a lot to the table. To be clear, I don't think Eaves wanted to fire him. I believe Alvarez told Eaves to clean house. Shuchuck has decent recruiting connections by all accounts and brought some great players to Wisconsin prior to the current drought. He was behind the bench with some very strong Badger teams (13/14). I do wonder if he'll be a good fit with the lower key pair of Pearson/Shawhan, but Billy Muckalt wasn't exactly low key either. That said, Shuchuck wasn't on my radar and I'm still adjusting to the shock. It's hard to think of Shuchuck coaching anywhere other than Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
              I'm generally positive on the Shuchuck hiring. He was probably the strongest applicant and brings a lot to the table. To be clear, I don't think Eaves wanted to fire him. I believe Alvarez told Eaves to clean house. Shuchuck has decent recruiting connections by all accounts and brought some great players to Wisconsin prior to the current drought. He was behind the bench with some very strong Badger teams (13/14). I do wonder if he'll be a good fit with the lower key pair of Pearson/Shawhan, but Billy Muckalt wasn't exactly low key either. That said, Shuchuck wasn't on my radar and I'm still adjusting to the shock. It's hard to think of Shuchuck coaching anywhere other than Wisconsin.
              Seems to me The Mel jumped at this hire because he really wanted him.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                I don't want to hyjack this thread, but.....I blames Eaves 100% for what happened with Schuey. As a leader you have to put qualified workers in situations where they can succeed. Eaves took an unqualified guy and put him in a position where he could not succeed. I can't blame Schuey for applying for the UW job, why not give it a whirl? Now he has experience, and he's working for a coach who is better than Eaves, so he will learn a lot from Mel. We both agree Eaves should have got the boot.
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                  How do you define drought? Didn't the Badgers win conference championships in 13 & 14 and go to the NCAAs?
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                    Seems to me The Mel jumped at this hire because he really wanted him.
                    That does seem likely. Mel is in a position to know what the problem was down in Madison and he obviously didn't think Shuchuk was part of the problem. I wonder of Shuchuck will pull any top talent with him from his recruiting pipeline? He seems like a great replacement for Muckalt, as the two both have NHL pedigrees and similar styles. The more I learn about Shuchuck, the better I think this hire is. Having lived in Madison, I'll bet Shuchuck's "idiot fan" comment ended up in the plus column during the interview process at Tech.

Comment

That does seem likely. Mel is in a position to know what the problem was down in Madison and he obviously didn't think Shuchuk was part of the problem. I wonder of Shuchuck will pull any top talent with him from his recruiting pipeline? He seems like a great replacement for Muckalt, as the two both have NHL pedigrees and similar styles. The more I learn about Shuchuck, the better I think this hire is. Having lived in Madison, I'll bet Shuchuck's "idiot fan" comment ended up in the plus column during the interview process at Tech.
                      Have you seen the list of Wisconsin's prospects? Not much "top talent" to pull. Maybe the kid that Tech was after from Mahtomedi, that recently committed there.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                        How do you define drought? Didn't the Badgers win conference championships in 13 & 14 and go to the NCAAs?
                        I think Eaves let the team get into a situation where they fell into a major recruiting trough. With his experience and Wisconsin's drawing power, that should be avoidable. You obviously need a mix of 1 or 2 and done players, stronger 4 year players and players who you will need to develop during their 4 years. Granted, some of it is bad luck, but in my opinion, Wisconsin set themselves up by loading up on short-timers and youngsters. The recruiting issues that caused last season had to have been a few years in the making and I don't think the drought's going to end this year. Their blue chip goalie recruit and star defenseman just bolted when the cupboard was already pretty bare. For a B1G team with the recruiting advantages and performance history of Wisconsin, I call this a drought.
                        Last edited by UpNorthHockey; 08-06-2015, 01:32 PM.

Comment

I think Eaves let the team get into a situation where they fell into a major recruiting trough. With his experience and Wisconsin's drawing power, that should be avoidable. You obviously need a mix of 1 or 2 and done players, stronger 4 year players and players who you will need to develop during their 4 years. Granted, some of it is bad luck, but in my opinion, Wisconsin set themselves up by loading up on short-timers and youngsters. The recruiting issues that caused last season had to have been a few years in the making and I don't think the drought's going to end this year. Their blue chip goalie recruit and star defenseman just bolted when the cupboard was already pretty bare. For a B1G team with the recruiting advantages and performance history of Wisconsin, I call this a drought.
                          Similar with UM since The Mel left?

Comment

welcome to real hockey and real hockey fans Coach Shuchuk!! I like bulls in china shops when it comes to hockey. and if tMel hired him, he's good.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Trevor Cope is now committed to American International. Not a big surprise.

Comment

• Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                                Trevor Cope is now committed to American International. Not a big surprise.
                                Not at all, glad he found another place to play
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X