Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head. In Ben's case, I'm told the Russell administration really didn't show him much love and by the time they did, the "family advisor" had already worked his magic for the Spitfires. Of course, at that time, playing for Tech didn't exactly look the best option either. Hindsight is 20/20.
    My information is a little different. It wasn't lack of interest from MTU at any point.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Back to the assistant coach search, since Mel mentioned former players, I went through the michigan rosters while he was there and I found the following players currently in "coaching."
      List provided in full without comment:
      Matt Herr, Skidmore (DIII) assistant coach
      Mike Komisarek, Michigan (B1G) volunteer assistant coach
      Mike Van Ryn, Kitchener (OHL) head coach
      Mike Knuble, Grand Rapids (AHL) assistant coach [but Blashill has left for Red Wings and didn't take Knuble with him]
      John Madden, Florida (NHL) assistant coach
      David Oliver, Colorad (NHL) assistant coach
      Cam Stewart, KO Sports
      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 07-15-2015, 01:17 PM.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
        http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/michigan/john-oliver-mi/

John Oliver Visits the UP, mentions Snow Statues at MTU.
        That video has only been circulated for about 5 years now.

EDIT: Wasn't Matt Herr in the discussion four years ago when Muckalt was hired?
        Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-15-2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          That video has only been circulated for about 5 years now.
          Yes, well, to be fair, conversations in this board's Tech threads about coaching hires and player development paths and recruiting and scheduling have been circulating at least that long.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            My information is a little different. It wasn't lack of interest from MTU at any point.
            I didn't say Tech wasn't interested.....just that it may not have been expressed well.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Back to the assistant coach search, since Mel mentioned former players, I went through the michigan rosters while he was there and I found the following players currently in "coaching."
              I wonder if John Kisil (MTU 97), associate head coach with the OHL Saginaw Spirit for the past 8 years, is in the mix.

Comment

I guess we hired a new marketing & communications guy and a new video & graphics guy.

Comment

I'd say Tech dodged a bullet by not getting Ben Johnson.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                    In many ways, you're right but who knows what would have happen with him if he had been closer to home and in college vs Windsor.

Comment

Originally posted by MaizeRage View Post
                      Based on his rap sheet alone, agreed.

Comment

The job opening is up.
                        https://www.jobs.mtu.edu/postings/3364

Does this disqualify the junior league coaches that have been mentioned in this thread?

Required Experience (minimum requirements)

• Experience coaching at the NCAA Division I level or higher.
                        • Recruiting experience specific to networks and relationships in key recruiting areas.

Comment

Reading opinions of Devils fans from HFBoards (yeah, yeah, I know), sounds like Pietila has a half-decent chance of cracking the big club's roster this fall. Regardless, he seems like a lock for the AHL team in Albany.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            Based on his rap sheet alone, agreed.
                            Was he convicted of anything? I think it ended up being a false accusation.

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Mel View Post
                              Was he convicted of anything? I think it ended up being a false accusation.

Still in the courts. Canada's legal system moves at a snails pace.

Saw some interesting statistics on this guys Twitter feed. Only 8% of CHL players go on to become NHL regulars. Get your education kids.

https://twitter.com/MoneyPuck_
                              "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

The Michigan Tech fan base is +1. Congrats to Tim and Lisa and their new baby girl Johannah Pearl.
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X