Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
    And according to the folks I've talked with, he is the most talented of the brothers. Great get.
    I've heard the same thing so I was thrilled to see his commitment.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Coach Muckalts Presser in Tri City

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aHPvfzQyM...vLpkUsHWtr-g==

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Carver Watson just tweeted his commitment to Michigan Tech today. Already have Cliff and Cooper committed in November 2013 and is likely to come in for the 2016-17 season.
        Always thinking with the jersey side of my brain, I can't wait to see the nameplates on those jerseys if Cliff sticks around four years and Carver does make the roster 2016. Using first initials isn't going to cut it... Gophers had this problem about 20 years ago, but I don't recall ever seeing a player's full name on a Huskies jersey. Hopefully they won't cheap out and do Cl. WATSON, Co. WATSON, Ca. WATSON...

Ryan J

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
        Originally posted by geezer
        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
        Originally posted by manurespreader
        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          A couple key items I caught on the MP show, the games in AZ are now Friday and SUNDAY.
          I think we need to start planning now for the "World's Largest John Scott Fan Club" event at the Coyotes' game on that Saturday. There will be a ton of Tech alumni in town with nothing to do on Saturday. AZ Coach better play him too... none of this healthy scratch crap.
          Ryan J

Comment

Just ran across this article which talks about not getting drafted but a point I found more interesting and have never considered before is regarding the Major Junior vs. NCAA route. You always here the major junior proponents say that their route is the quickest way to the NHL. This may be true if you are a high end player but the late bloomer has a better shot taking the NCAA route, as pointed out here. This concept should be drilled in to every kids head that is trying to make this decision.

This is the excerpt from the article:

"Bartlett loves the college hockey route, especially for guys who aren’t on the NHL fast track. It gives players more time to develop. When they leave school as undrafted free agents, they have more options.

“Major junior has a tighter time frame,” Bartlett said. “You age out at 20 years old and if you haven’t established yourself as a pro prospect, your chances of making it are really small.

“One of the things I like about college hockey, if you’re really good you leave after two years and if you need four years to develop, you have it. There’s a sliding scale that allows a player to give himself every chance.”

“We had a guy, Andy McDonald out of Colgate a few years back. He was underrated and no one talked about him until his junior year in college. He signed as an undrafted free agent after his senior year in college. In major juniors, he would have aged out two years earlier and be working at the Ford plant in Mississauga.”

Those extra two years of experience put McDonald on the radar. He signed with the Anaheim Ducks, winning a Stanley Cup in 2007."

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/0...-for-a-player/

Going one step further; a player could actually end up with 4 or 5 additional years to develop as in the case of Reid Sturos. I believe he was an over age player in the BCHL so he played a year longer in Juniors than most major junior players will and now has 4 more years to develop in college. While as the writer says the major junior guys are already working at a plant somewhere wishing they had an MTU education.

Comment

The problem with that logic is, every player and a lot of their parents like to think that they are "high-end".

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                The problem with that logic is, every player and a lot of their parents like to think that they are "high-end".
                "My son has an entire room full of participation trophies. He has made the roster of every team we signed him up for and we always paid our league fees on time. How did he not get drafted again this year? Clearly these scouts have no clue what real talent looks like..."
                Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Bingo. And to add, you have family advisors/agents blowing smoke up parents/players asses, telling them how great they are and how important their "draft year" is.
                  "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                    Bingo. And to add, you have family advisors/agents blowing smoke up parents/players asses, telling them how great they are and how important their "draft year" is.
                    I would think a good advisor/agent would better serve the player and themselves by doing everything they could to make sure the player they represent makes it to the NHL. If that means taking the slower path to allow the player to develop a good advisor should give that advise. I would think if a particular NHL team is not telling a kid to play major junior they should take the NCAA route because with a few exceptions they probably are not on anyones radar and would have less time to get on someones radar.

Bottom line is the advisor / agent doesn't (or shouldn't; I know some do and maybe that is the problem) make a dime unless a player signs a pro contract and only really benefits if the player plays in the NHL so there is no benefit to pushing a kid.

Also, from an agents perspective I would rather negotiate with a bunch of teams for an undrafted player than the one team that drafted the player I represent.

Comment

Always thinking with the jersey side of my brain, I can't wait to see the nameplates on those jerseys if Cliff sticks around four years and Carver does make the roster 2016. Using first initials isn't going to cut it... Gophers had this problem about 20 years ago, but I don't recall ever seeing a player's full name on a Huskies jersey. Hopefully they won't cheap out and do Cl. WATSON, Co. WATSON, Ca. WATSON...

Ryan J

well it's not likely to be a problem since it seems very likely Cliff will sign after this season...
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I think we need to start planning now for the "World's Largest John Scott Fan Club" event at the Coyotes' game on that Saturday. There will be a ton of Tech alumni in town with nothing to do on Saturday. AZ Coach better play him too... none of this healthy scratch crap.
                        Ryan J
                        I'm in.
                        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Don't forget that the MJ teams go out and tell kids how good they are and how fast they'll progress, even if they won't, just to get them on the roster.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            Don't forget that the MJ teams go out and tell kids how good they are and how fast they'll progress, even if they won't, just to get them on the roster.
                            Case in point: Ben Johnson. He could've been developing under Mel Pearson for the past three years and this upcoming season instead of racking up points against teenagers in Windsor and then shuttling back and forth between Albany and Orlando. I mean, how much does the Solar Bears' staff care about his development? And how much is ECHL competition going to push him?

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                              Case in point: Ben Johnson. He could've been developing under Mel Pearson for the past three years and this upcoming season instead of racking up points against teenagers in Windsor and then shuttling back and forth between Albany and Orlando. I mean, how much does the Solar Bears' staff care about his development? And how much is ECHL competition going to push him?
                              I think you hit the nail on the head. In Ben's case, I'm told the Russell administration really didn't show him much love and by the time they did, the "family advisor" had already worked his magic for the Spitfires. Of course, at that time, playing for Tech didn't exactly look the best option either. Hindsight is 20/20.

Comment

http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/michigan/john-oliver-mi/

John Oliver Visits the UP, mentions Snow Statues at MTU.
                                bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Working...
                                X