Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Brent Olson signed a two year deal with Florida.

wah! I miss my piano dog jersey, which was stolen along with our truck. secretly I think they were after the jersey and took the truck by accident. and, hey, Bears, we could roll with that.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

horrid horrid news about Milos' younger brother. my heart goes out to their family and friends. what a senseless tragedy.
      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Tech depth chart in relation to the way the lines may fit together.
        Looks very promising.

RW
        Petan
        Sturos
        L'Esperance
        Gillies
        P. Anderson

C
        Steman
        Blacklock
        E. Anderson
        Neville
        Jackson

LW
        Gould
        Heinonen
        Baltus
        Eick
        Vallis
        Boeing

D
        Watson
        Hanna
        Leibinger
        Roy
        Auk
        Birks
        Hyland
        Davis

G
        Phillips
        Wintjes
        Kero

Comment

You look at the lineup on defense, and it's amazing to think how much that's changed from four years ago at this time.

Comment

Ice is going back in at the Mac... Four months and 8 days until the first game... Tic-tock, tic-tock.
            I can't believe they still paint the lines by hand. There needs to be a senior design project to automate that process.
            Ryan J
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              What a shock, the seller is from Ann Arbor...
              Ryan J

Get it now on Ebay, a "Michigan Tech Bears shirt".
              This is an auction for a man's Hockey Shirt size XXL. It is new without tags.
              It measures 33" from nape to hem. The sleeves are 28" long ...
              the measurement across the front is 28". The MTU is on the left sleeve.
              There is a bear on the front.
              Hmmm...there are a LOT of black bears in the UP.

Speaking of Piano Dog, since the MTU Hockey Train is back on the rails and picking up steam, let's kickstart the movement to retire that ugly 1990s logo and get a new one with some teeth! I refuse to buy any gear with that lame logo. It's time for a change...
              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                Hmmm...there are a LOT of black bears in the UP.

Speaking of Piano Dog, since the MTU Hockey Train is back on the rails and picking up steam, let's kickstart the movement to retire that ugly 1990s logo and get a new one with some teeth! I refuse to buy any gear with that lame logo. It's time for a change...

Changing the logo is in the works. I know the athletic department sent out an email towards the end of last year asking questions/survey about the logo.
                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Ice is going back in at the Mac... Four months and 8 days until the first game... Tic-tock, tic-tock.
                  I can't believe they still paint the lines by hand. There needs to be a senior design project to automate that process.
                  Ryan J
                  You mean there is no camera to show the lines being painted and ice put it?

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                    Changing the logo is in the works. I know the athletic department sent out an email towards the end of last year asking questions/survey about the logo.
                    Well, I hope they steer clear of the jagged, thick-lined logos that are trendy today but will look dumb in twenty years. Seriously, do a Google images search for "huskies logos" and tell me if you see anything interesting. The Huskies script logo is timeless, and sure enough, they haven't really changed it in forever. The athletic department should aspire to that for a new husky dog logo.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                      The athletic department should aspire to that for a new husky dog logo.
                      They should aspire to ditch the dog logo altogether and use the script. The D2 sports can use the 'Michigan Tech' basketball-style lettering you see on our home whites.

"We don't need no stinkin' mascot."

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                        My insider information says that the dastardly "piano dog" is going to survive into the next season. But where it has always been difficult to find the script Huskies logo on apparel and merchandise in the past, there will be many more items now made available. It's not going to necessarily be a "retro" line, but you get the idea. My read is that the department will use the numbers they get back on sales between the two lines to make a final determination on the future of the "piano dog" - if people stay away from it and buy the script logo, I think the final nail will go into the coffin of that abomination.

I'm sure I've pointed this out before, but an interesting piece of trivia is that the "piano dog" was actually designed by former Tech defenseman Ken Plaquin.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          My insider information says that the dastardly "piano dog" is going to survive into the next season. But where it has always been difficult to find the script Huskies logo on apparel and merchandise in the past, there will be many more items now made available. It's not going to necessarily be a "retro" line, but you get the idea. My read is that the department will use the numbers they get back on sales between the two lines to make a final determination on the future of the "piano dog" - if people stay away from it and buy the script logo, I think the final nail will go into the coffin of that abomination.

I'm sure I've pointed this out before, but an interesting piece of trivia is that the "piano dog" was actually designed by former Tech defenseman Ken Plaquin.
                          I've got an idea for a new logo... What if we took MTU and we stacked them vertically? The T fits so nice in the U. And then we angled it, just a little bit. Just think about how good that would look!
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

I'm really glad to hear the logo is going. Back in the day, here I go again,... but back in the day, the University had a logo that was a block M with the silhouette of a standing husky in front of it.( this was 1968) It was available at the bookstore, and was a real cool logo. It was unique to Tech, yet still had a state of Michigan connection. They eventually ditched it, but it was real cool. I'd like to see it, or a variation of it, considered again.
                            Last edited by manurespreader; 06-02-2015, 09:08 AM.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                              I've got an idea for a new logo... What if we took MTU and we stacked them vertically? The T fits so nice in the U. And then we angled it, just a little bit. Just think about how good that would look!
                              Brilliant!

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                                Well my phone never rang, so they're not off to a good start. But seriously, there are thousands of starving art students in America, Give 5 of them $1000 each to design a new logo and pick the best one. I'm sure one of the five will be new, and awesome.
                                Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                                The compressed size and roughly square proportions of such a logo would also make it ideal for avatar use at various online forums and such.
                                Ryan J

PS - These two are still my favs (although already used by other teams), but just goes to show it wouldn't be tough to come up with something new. I like these because they are bold enough to work well as a large crest or a smaller shoulder logo as well. I also like the blue eyes on the one logo to add a touch of color.

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 06-02-2015, 09:38 AM.
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X