Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
    I thought the year off between schools was an NCAA thing and not based on a release from the previous program.
    No, the year off is only if your previous school doesn't release you from your NLI. If they release you, then you can play immediately.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      I've been saying for a while now that Tech/Northern should try to work with RPI/Union or Clarkson/St. Lawrence, to arrange a 2 year agreement, we travel there for a weekend and each play 1 game vs. each team. Then do the opposite the next season. But that isn't applicable for this situation, since that is a 2 game thing, not 1.
      I'd be cool with that. Funny thing is, RPI has yet to play NMU. Ever.

Comment

Key takeaways for me:

Jimmmy Davis will be the 8th Dman next year if he gets redshirt from NCAA - coaches must not've been impressed with our D commits season to make that late decision

Maybe the schedule isn't so bad, Mel doesn't want to be on road too much like 2 years ago and 2nd Laurentian game will get all the players involved, especially redshirt guys

The Mel P show summary for 5-11-15:

There's no off-season in hockey, maybe slow season
        Mel's been to the frozen four, in FL for WCHA coaches meetings/D1 Mens hockey coaches meeting
        Guys working out at 7:45AM, they had some time to relax and then Tyler Shelast got to get them back in the weight room
        Meeting today at 3 to talk about expectations and one-on-one meetings
        June is busy time, recruiting, USHL finals, other junior finals, there's a few commits playing in royal bank cup that we can't talk about

Tanner Kero called in

Tanner has the work ethic, and a shot at the NHL. Mel's coached 90 guys that have played in the NHL. He has the skating too with the pace of the game today.

Other seniors:
        Pietila - flew to NJ shortly after season to have his leg checked. No one knows what it was, NJ checked and couldn't find what caused it, he's fine now.
        Blake has signed, we haven't released that. We'll have something coming out. He's at home, getting ready to get married this summer. Will start pro career this fall.

Hietila - is in CO, played 3 games. Now in Minoqua, WI, at the golf course interning.

Sweeney back home in BC, one class to go. Wants to give hockey a go.

David Johnstone had surgery right after season. Played hurt last half of the year, surgery would've ended season (shoulder). He'll get some interest to play next year.

Jimmy Davis - hoping to get him for one more year. We believe he has a redshirt year. We will file for that, hope it goes through, don't see why it wont. We extended a spot to him and he accepted, he's an integral part of the team.

Kero could still be playing, Sweeney will stay in BC, but other seniors hope to be back for Saturday celebration.

Anderson, Blacklock, Birks:
        Excited about these guys. They had injury or ruling by NCAA.
        Dane's been here the whole time working out. Doing class work. He'll come in and fill void of Sweeney. Our D group will be as good or better than last year. He looks good, couldn't practice with us at all. He got the glimpse of what's going on.

Blacklock, hurt knees right off the bat, not in shape due to injuries. Team off to great start, he was ready around Xmas, at that point we decided all likelihood he'd redshirt, he was okay with that. Very good shape, can skate/shoot. He'll fill a void at center.

Anderson, had mono, hurt his hip. Made the same decision, both had good junior careers, a year older, been around a winning culture, understand the work. He'll play center and/or wing.

Our Freshmen class wont be as big as we thought it would be. Probably only bring in 2-4 players.

We'll have good depth again, losing players change completion of team. Like our leadership, but haven't voted on Cs and As. Shelast impressed with work ethic this team has showed.

Questions:
        32 game schedule, allowed 36, We're at 34, we consider them games, we can still add some games. 2nd Laurentian doesn't count towards stats, but will count toward total allowed.

28 league game schedule, at MSU, at GLI, Laurentian. We could add one more game. Just got a call since Mel has been with Dirk this morning, in discussion with 4 teams for another game.
        We have to watch our travel schedule. We travel more than any team in college hockey. We tried that going to Notre Dame, UMD, MI, a couple years ago, it's tough. We're protective of our schedule at this point.
        Going forward UMD/Tech have talked we'll have a number of games with them. We have a contact with UW, includes games in Houghton with them. Talked to MI for more games. North Dakota has reached out. This is a year wanted to make sure we are at home and protect it. Want Blacklock/Birks, Kero/Wintjes to play against Laurentian. We are trying to mold this team.
        UW was always going to be down the road, they wanted it earlier, us playing at UW first, but didn't want more travel this year. Watching our travel with trips to UAF and Huntsville.

Are we more attractive for non-conference school. Yes, UND, MI, UW. It was difficult before. Want best schedule we can.

Mankato will be good, at MSU, GLI, have to watch road games, it's difficult. Want to give our players opportunity to have success.
        $199 for season tickets is incredible, only for May. Get them now.

Questions for Mel:

With next year being 95th season, any special guests/gatherings?
        Maybe something small like a patch or something, but really waiting for 100th year.

Regarding new players coming in, why have we heard nothing from Tech:
        We'll bring in 2-4, depends on how their years end up on their junior leagues. We're not quick to announce, there's no rush. Want appropriate time.
        We have release ready, will send out last today or tomorrow, for guys that have signed NLIs.
        We have a good idea of who's coming in, things can change in the summer but we expect all our players back, Phillips/Birks/Watson, others free agents.

Were you surprised with success of Kero?
        Not at all, that time of year, Kero playing real well, they put him in good situation. Mel talked to Rockford assistant, about his strength/weakness, put him in a good role.

Can you comment recruiting long term and gentlemen's agreement?
        It's terrific. We're on a few kids that are high profile. Recruiting against B1G teams. Feel good about our list about 2 years out now. Real good players.
        Gentlemen's agreement discussed in FL, once a kid verbal's, others wouldn't talk to them. Some coaches don't believe in it, only NLI.
        It's unfortunate, a straw vote was taken, a majority wants gentlemen's agreement. 10-15 schools don't want to abide by it.
        We lost a player this year, young man committed last summer, another school talked to him before signing, have to trust players/parents, it can go other way too, some schools are over recruiting, then pick some of the best and tell others it's not going to work out. Some schools feel other schools are stock piling players.

Coaches didn't want to change regional?
        NCAA tourney structure discussion, some wanted 8 1st round on campus sites. Top 8 seeds would host. Majority wanted to keep regionals as is.
        It'll go to committee in Indianapolis in June, they'll have final decision. Strong statement from coaches, you never know though.
        We would've hosted this year, fun, but neutrality is important. Mel thinks he agrees with the regionals on neutral site.
        Attendance is the real issue.

With USHL holding camps the same week, how do coaches plan to attend?
        One is coming up in Muskegon, we put all team camps on our schedule and said who's going where? We feel it's important to see our recruits and others potential huskies.
        We'll get out to the USHL camps and Canadian camps.

Will Jake Jackson play center or wing?
        He's versatile, he played center in HS, wing in BCHL. Real good year and playoffs in BCHL. We have guys that can play center, losing Pietila/Kero, have holes at center.

Tomorrow is business expo with TV6, 5-7 business will come over and talk about business and Tech hockey. Mel will be there.
        Celebration is 5/16, Saturday, anyone under 18 is $5. Continental 11:30-1:30 Saturday.
        Players working out 5 days a week. They'll be here for 6 weeks off-ice. Have to keep pushing, want to be better next year.

Comment

"We travel more than any team in college hockey", Mel?

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
            I think the "D1 Caliber" was implied.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Noted ... noted.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

I tried to listen to the show via the internet today since I'm not in the US, but it's not up on the Tech web site as yet. maybe in a few days.Would be real good to get a singleton vs an ECAC team IMHO. Very happy with the posted comments. I think, based on what I've read, that the WCHA is going to start getting more and better games down the road. I thought the BGSU schedule this year was pretty good.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Ouch - One good season and Michigan Tech fans are suddenly putting out a bit of tArrogance... I think we're lucky Geoff is more level headed than most internet forum posters, otherwise those are the kind of statements that lead to rivalries...

So here is what I have so far for those of you keeping score of stereotypes at home:
                  WCHA - "Well Traveled..."
                  Bi6 - "Still a huge mistake, unless then snag ASU..."
                  ECAC - "Home of your next three surprise national champs..."
                  AH - "Just hanging out until BGSU reforms the CCHA with some of us..."
                  HE - "Goalie puck handling isn't our strong suit..."
                  NCHC - "Battle Tested: We climb higher in the rankings every week by playing (with) ourselves..."

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

hard to keep up with this. Mel talked about the Saturday hockey brunch this morning and by 1:30pm it was canceled.

The End of Year Celebration that was to be held on Saturday, May 16th
                    has been canceled.
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Ouch - One good season and Michigan Tech fans are suddenly putting out a bit of tArrogance... I think we're lucky Geoff is more level headed than most internet forum posters, otherwise those are the kind of statements that lead to rivalries...

So here is what I have so far for those of you keeping score of stereotypes at home:
                      WCHA - "Well Traveled..."
                      Bi6 - "Still a huge mistake, unless then snag ASU..."
                      ECAC - "Home of your next three surprise national champs..."
                      AH - "Just hanging out until BGSU reforms the CCHA with some of us..."
                      HE - "Goalie puck handling isn't our strong suit..."
                      NCHC - "Battle Tested: We climb higher in the rankings every week by playing (with) ourselves..."

Ryan J
                      I think he interpreted the winky face correctly.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                        Jimmmy Davis will be the 8th Dman next year if he gets redshirt from NCAA - coaches must not've been impressed with our D commits season to make that late decision.
                        i wouldn't take it that way at all, if Jimmy wants to come back you help him come back. He's used to the role and done well when given playing time. It would be tough for a freshman to come in and crack this lineup so why not let them play another year in juniors and get a bunch of playing time?
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Oh, I just keep these things compiled as bulletin board fodder.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Oh, I just keep these things compiled as bulletin board fodder.

GFM
                            If comments on internet message boards are valid enough for bulletin board fodder....there can't be an open spot on any bulletin board in any locker room in the whole world of sports.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                              hard to keep up with this. Mel talked about the Saturday hockey brunch this morning and by 1:30pm it was canceled.
                              The End of Year Celebration that was to be held on Saturday, May 16th has been canceled.
                              Not that I was planning to fly in to attend, but this seems odd. It has the feel of someone getting their hand slapped.
                              Anyone have details they can share?
                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                i wouldn't take it that way at all, if Jimmy wants to come back you help him come back. He's used to the role and done well when given playing time. It would be tough for a freshman to come in and crack this lineup so why not let them play another year in juniors and get a bunch of playing time?
                                I was only thinking that because it seems odd they'd let him go through his senior year, participate in senior night and then ask him back after that instead of addressing it earlier as if they had other plans for the 8th Dman.

Not that I was planning to fly in to attend, but this seems odd. It has the feel of someone getting their hand slapped.
                                Anyone have details they can share?
                                Ryan J
                                I thought the same thing. It seems odd.

Comment

Working...
                                X