Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Season tickets are on sale. Renewed @ center ice, 7 rows up for $199. Bless Tech ... great deal!

Comment

Also. 3 home games before New Year?

Edit: sorry, its actually 5, not great, but much better than 3
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        You realize this works both ways, right? The ECAC is basically a bus league. They may not want to travel to WCHA schools, or they may often get better deals from B1G, HEA and NCHC schools that are much easier to travel to, and (let's be honest) are more likely to be marquee opponents for their fans.

All we can do is play the best schedule we can. Mel or not, you can't expect Tech to be playing a "sexy" OOC schedule every year.
        Agreed. Despite what some on this forum think, Michigan Tech is not a marquee draw. One good season in the last 30 will do that to a program. The OOC schedule has been really good the last few years so i'm not complaining.
        "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          In the 90s and early 2000s we regularly had a NC series with an ECAC team so I call BS.
          Regularly? What years and what teams?
          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
            Regularly? What years and what teams?
            03-04 Vermont
            02-03 St. Lawrence
            01-02 St. Lawrence

Going back to 98, not including the recent series with St. Lawrence.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

For those who follow recruiting, 2 of Tech's future recruits drafted so far in today's USHL entry draft.

Tristan Rostagno to Sioux Falls in the 4th round
              Chris Gerrie to Green Bay in the 8th round

http://ushl.rinknetcloud.com/

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                Which is complete BULL****. Non-conference games vs. conference opponents just makes us look like a Mickey Mouse conference. It is a step firmly in the wrong direction for all schools involved, and for the conference as a whole.

This needs to be improved, and it is true that 2 for 1's is part of the problem. No more 2 for 1's. 1 for none pay games may work, in certain years, where we have other home non-conference games. If we can't get even agreements with teams nearby, go to the ECAC, the non-Ivies always need more games.
                The non-ivies needing games was more of an issue 5-6 years ago, when everyone else had 6-8 NC games compared to our 12. With other leagues increasing their NC presence, we don't really have too much of an issue any longer. We'd certainly welcome you guys as an opponent, though; I seem to recall a petition to have us play.

Would the WCHA have a "sexier non-conference schedule" if they were do something similar to the NCHC and go to 24 conference games? Or is travel truly the long pole in the tent?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  The non-ivies needing games was more of an issue 5-6 years ago, when everyone else had 6-8 NC games compared to our 12. With other leagues increasing their NC presence, we don't really have too much of an issue any longer. We'd certainly welcome you guys as an opponent, though; I seem to recall a petition to have us play.

Would the WCHA have a "sexier non-conference schedule" if they were do something similar to the NCHC and go to 24 conference games? Or is travel truly the long pole in the tent?
                  WCHA teams are finding it hard enough to fill 6-10 non conference games with a decent number of home games. Dropping to 24 conference games would likely cost each team at least one home series a year. Travel is a concern when, in some years, you're paying for two flights to Alaska and one to Huntsville. In the New England leagues, there is a lot of travel that is five hours or less on a bus. From the geographical midpoint of the WCHA (NMU), you have 3 flights (UAA, UAF, UAH), 7 1/2 hours bus to Bemidji, 9 1/2 to Mankato and 9 to Bowling Green along with 2 & 3 hour runs to Michigan Tech and LSSU. Travel budgets are stretched and are definitely a concern.
                  Last edited by davyd83; 05-05-2015, 12:29 PM.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    I hope that some of y'all will make the trip to Huntsville in November!

GFM
                    It will be one of our group's trips. We have 4 already committed to going, will probably add a few more.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      03-04 Vermont
                      02-03 St. Lawrence
                      01-02 St. Lawrence

Going back to 98, not including the recent series with St. Lawrence.
                      Mercyhurst was also in there too
                      Originally posted by Twitch Boy
                      Like the sign out front says, "the price of freedom is visible here."

Comment

Since we're talking non-conference, here's the history:

14-15
                        2 @Wisconsin (B16)
                        2 Michigan (B16)
                        2 Minnesota-Duluth (Nacho)
                        2 GLI (Michigan and Ferris State) (B16 and WCHA)

13-14
                        2 @Minnesota-Duluth (Nacho)
                        2 @Notre Dame (Hockey East)
                        2 @Michigan (BIG)
                        2 Michigan State (BIG)
                        2 GLI (Michigan State and Western Michigan) (B16 and Nacho)

12-13
                        2 H&H w/ Lake Superior State (CCHA)
                        2 H&H w/ Northern Michigan (CCHA)
                        2 GLI (Michigan and Western Michigan) (CCHA and CCHA)

11-12
                        2 American International (Atlantic)
                        2 @St. Lawrence (ECAC)
                        2 GLI (Michigan State and Boston College) (CCHA and Hockey East)

10-11
                        2 Superior Showcase (@Northern Michigan and @Lake Superior State) (CCHA and CCHA)
                        2 St. Lawrence (ECAC)
                        2 GLI (Michigan and Michigan State) (CCHA and CCHA)

09-10
                        2 Superior Showcase (Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State) (CCHA and CCHA)
                        2 GLI (Michigan State and Michigan) (CCHA and CCHA)

08-09
                        2 Superior Showcase (@Northern Michigan and @Lake Superior State) (CCHA and CCHA)
                        2 @Bemidji State (CHA)
                        2 GLI (Michigan and North Dakota) (CCHA and WCHA)

07-08
                        2 Superior Showcase (Northern Michigan and Lake Superior State) (CCHA and CCHA)
                        2 @Mercyhurst (Atlantic)

06-07
                        2 @Vermont (Hockey East)
                        2 Bemidji State (CHA)
                        2 GLI (Michigan and Harvard) (CCHA and ECAC)

05-06
                        2 Nye Frontier Classic (Vermont and RPI) (ECAC and ECAC)
                        2 Mercyhurst (Atlantic)

04-05
                        1 Notre Dame in Green Bay (CCHA)
                        2 GLI (Michigan and New Hampshire) (CCHA and Hockey East)

03-04
                        2 Vermont (ECAC)

02-03
                        2 @St. Lawrence (ECAC)
                        2 Wayne State (CHA)

01-02
                        2 St. Lawrence (ECAC)
                        2 @Wayne State (CHA)

00-01

99-00
                        2 Lake Superior State (CCHA)
                        2 GLI (Michigan State and Lake Superior State) (CCHA and CCHA)

98-99
                        2 @Lake Superior State (CCHA)
                        2 Nebraska-Omaha (CCHA)
                        2 GLI (Michigan and Northern Michigan) (CCHA and CCHA)

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Painted_Bandit View Post
                          Mercyhurst was also in there too
                          Yeah, but they're Atlantic Hockey. If we're talking Atlantic, we also had the epic showdown with AIC.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

It sounds like Blacklock, L'Esperance and Petan are the most likely players to fill the void at Center with Pietila and Kero leaving.
                            Lucchini is another possibility if he comes in this fall. Because of Blacklock, Anderson and Birks and no early departures it looks like the 2015 incoming class will be relatively small. The only 2 I know of for sure are Jackson and Boeing. Looks like herbst was right and Reinke will be returning to the USHL.

Defense is stacking up nicely now with Ford helping balance out classes a bit.
                            I have
                            2015 - Birks
                            2016 - Ford (So), Reinke, Watson
                            2017 - Gingell, Rostagno (possible that Watson is here and one of those is 2016)

Offense
                            2015 Jackson, Boeing, possibly Lucchini
                            2016 Hannoun, Kauppila, Gerrie, Gould if Lucchini is 2015
                            2017 Newsome, Williamson

I believe Lucchini and Redmond, possibly Ford are the only NLI to sign so far during this period
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              It sounds like Blacklock, L'Esperance and Petan are the most likely players to fill the void at Center with Pietila and Kero leaving.
                              Lucchini is another possibility if he comes in this fall. Because of Blacklock, Anderson and Birks and no early departures it looks like the 2015 incoming class will be relatively small. The only 2 I know of for sure are Jackson and Boeing. Looks like herbst was right and Reinke will be returning to the USHL.
                              That puts the roster at only 27. I think they'd run at 28 or 29 at least. Maybe Mel's leaving room for some last minute steals or for Cope/Kauppila to join the practice squad?

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                                That puts the roster at only 27. I think they'd run at 28 or 29 at least. Maybe Mel's leaving room for some last minute steals or for Cope/Kauppila to join the practice squad?
                                I have 8, 16, 3 right now for next year for sure...if you ignore the redshirts we had 9, 16, 3 this year...
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X