Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Saw this note on Blake.
    http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...action_73.html

Left winger Blake Pietila, the Devils' fourth pick (129th overall in the fifth round) in the 2011 entry draft, is to be examined by doctors before the team decides whether it will try to sign him. The Michigan Tech forward, who suffered a lower body injury, can also become an unrestricted free agent Aug. 15.

"He couldn't play so there is no rush," Lamoriello said. "He's injured. We wouldn't sign him until the doctors check him out and determine how serious the injury is."

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
      Wondering what you thought of the year Alex Gillies had. I expect a lot more next year similar to Tyler Heinonen's improvement his sophomore year.
      Can we expect a lot from Blacklock, E. Anderson, and Jackson next year. Will they have better years than Gillies this year due to a lot more ice time?

Gillies had too many drive byes for my liking. Too much circling and not enough going to the dirty areas. I believe Jackson will be a regular in the lineup with his speed. And Boeing will be challenging for ice time as well. Anderson and Blacklock will have their work cutout to even crack the lineup. Be interesting to see who stays over the summer and works out with Shelast.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
        Gillies had too many drive byes for my liking. Too much circling and not enough going to the dirty areas. I believe Jackson will be a regular in the lineup with his speed. And Boeing will be challenging for ice time as well. Anderson and Blacklock will have their work cutout to even crack the lineup. Be interesting to see who stays over the summer and works out with Shelast.
        So who on the team do you expect to play center and take faceoffs beyond Neville and Steman? Blacklock is the only other Center I know of that is coming in. Baltus is the only returning player to be listed as a center beyond Neville and Steman, but he never took a faceoff in 2014-15.

Returning players faceoff numbers (with more than 10 faceoffs):
        Steman 274-264
        Neville 238-265
        Petan 53-58
        L'Esperance 27-23
        Heinonen 23-13
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          So who on the team do you expect to play center and take faceoffs beyond Neville and Steman? Blacklock is the only other Center I know of that is coming in. Baltus is the only returning player to be listed as a center beyond Neville and Steman, but he never took a faceoff in 2014-15.

Returning players faceoff numbers (with more than 10 faceoffs):
          Steman 274-264
          Neville 238-265
          Petan 53-58
          L'Esperance 27-23
          Heinonen 23-13

I'm not sure who the centers would be beyond Neville and Steman. L'Esperance can play center, but not sure if he'll end up there. I'm sure most forwards can play both. Usually you wants guys with speed and some size up the middle. Wouldn't surprise me if Jackson plays center next year. Good questions for the next Mel Pearson show.
          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

I'm not sure who the centers would be beyond Neville and Steman. L'Esperance can play center, but not sure if he'll end up there. I'm sure most forwards can play both. Usually you wants guys with speed and some size up the middle. Wouldn't surprise me if Jackson plays center next year. Good questions for the next Mel Pearson show.
            Definitely, I've been told that both Hannoun and Jackson did not play center in the BCHL this year. I'd really like to hear from Mel who is coming in next season. Just remember that whatever he says he's unlikely to be able to mention Cope even though Cope will be coming in this season.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

L'Esperance can play center
              I could be wrong but I have heard L'Esperance has always been a center and never played wing prior to coming to Tech? If that is indeed the case that should be an easy transition for him I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                I could be wrong but I have heard L'Esperance has always been a center and never played wing prior to coming to Tech? If that is indeed the case that should be an easy transition for him I would think.

True. He played center almost exclusively.

—Brett Hull

Comment

I wonder about Lucchini, can he play center? with those kinds of numbers you would think he's heading here.. It's a good spot for playmakers after all..

Tomorrow is the big day for NLI's.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I wonder about Lucchini, can he play center? with those kinds of numbers you would think he's heading here.. It's a good spot for playmakers after all..

Tomorrow is the big day for NLI's.
                    We have 8 verbal commitments with no current NLI:
                    Lucchini, Ford, Redmond, Rostagno, Gould, Brown, Gingell and Williamson

Comment

Anderson and Blacklock will have their work cutout to even crack the lineup.
                      I don't think Mel's decision to stockpile these guys was due to them not having high end talent or not performing in practice. They were both studs in the BCHL and Mel repeatedly talked about them being really strong in practice. I think when it became clear early on that they would miss the first half of the season due to injury/illness, Mel decided to redshirt them. As such, I don't think either of them were ever in the running to dress for a game. Based on their performance in juniors, I think they're both strong candidates to crack the lineup and to be major contributors. In fact, it would be a bit of a disappointment to me if they're not.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                        I don't think Mel's decision to stockpile these guys was due to them not having high end talent or not performing in practice. They were both studs in the BCHL and Mel repeatedly talked about them being really strong in practice. I think when it became clear early on that they would miss the first half of the season due to injury/illness, Mel decided to redshirt them. As such, I don't think either of them were ever in the running to dress for a game. Based on their performance in juniors, I think they're both strong candidates to crack the lineup and to be major contributors. In fact, it would be a bit of a disappointment to me if they're not.
                        Competition is a good problem to have. Looking forward to seeing how it shakes out next fall.

—Brett Hull

Comment

Does everyone think Petan hits 50 points next season?

Comment

I'd be surprised. He won't have Tanner Kero on his line.

Comment

Depending on who he is with, I am hoping he hits 35 points. Without knowing who he plays with, it is hard to guess...

Comment

Did anyone sign today??

Comment

Working...
                                X