Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by geezer View Post
    Never happen in Houghton. This is already the upper class of our society that goes to the games. The more seats get filled, the further out in the backwoods the yoopers will be getting pulled from.
    Think: admin watching over cheers, etc, too.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Think: admin watching over cheers, etc, too.
      They're already all there. It's very small school.
      Which also makes me think that no matter how successful they become, there is a limit (probably illustrated by attendance for the MI series last fall) to how many fans it's realistic to draw, ever. Adding seats might just be adding empty seats. Is that a good idea?
      We've sold out of space what, twice in 35 years with the seats now available.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

They're already all there. It's very small school.
        Which also makes me think that no matter how successful they become, there is a limit (probably illustrated by attendance for the MI series last fall) to how many fans it's realistic to draw, ever. Adding seats might just be adding empty seats. Is that a good idea?
        We've sold out of space what, twice in 35 years with the seats now available.
        Just remember that demand will increase, and A LOT of the tickets sold for many games were SRO, not actual seats. The seating capacity if far lower than what is listed on USCHO or anywhere else.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Just remember that demand will increase, and A LOT of the tickets sold for many games were SRO, not actual seats. The seating capacity if far lower than what is listed on USCHO or anywhere else.
          Demand could still increase, but I think it would be additional students and other assorted lowlifes like me. And "we" love SRO tickets.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Demand could still increase, but I think it would be additional students and other assorted lowlifes like me. And "we" love SRO tickets.
            I'm sure part of it is that MTU is looking at the face that all their suites are leased and wondering how much more demand there is for suites...maybe they end up adding more to the west end instead of the previously discussed club area. I really hope they don't do more suites on the east end because I feel like that will just push the band to an even worse place.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm sure part of it is that MTU is looking at the face that all their suites are leased and wondering how much more demand there is for suites...maybe they end up adding more to the west end instead of the previously discussed club area. I really hope they don't do more suites on the east end because I feel like that will just push the band to an even worse place.
              I'm in favor of reducing standing room and adding permanent seats instead. I think standing room should be limited to about 500. I'm in favor of more suites, I'd like to see a MUCH nicer food area added to the east end.That would add a lot to my experience as a fan. The bathrooms are too crowded as well, which I don't mind but my girl friend hates.. I'd like to see the number of seats go up by about 800.Even if it was only totally full for 6 or 8 games per year, it would be worth doing. Carnival for 2, NMU for 2, 2 for the top WCHA team, and one of MSU/Mich/ Minny/ wisco. All would fill it.

I'd like to see some more ancillary facilities added too.
              So overall I'm all in on expanding the east end and I'm also in favor of more suites, though not to the extent that the band is pushed out. I disagree that we have come anywhere close to maximizing demand. I believe there is a fund that has been started to do more work on the arena, but you'd have to ask the powers that be for sure.

Second, Joe Bertagne, the commish of HE had something to say about the officiating at our game vs St Cloud. He contended that the offsides call that was reviewed and saved us a goal, should not have been reviewed, that the intent of the rule was not to call back plays like that which were so close. He wants the officials to allow those kinds of plays and not review them.

I'm wondering how you could have the rule and not expect that somewhere, the line has to be actually drawn and that the linesman's judgement is not always good enough, especially on plays that result in a goal.. The linesmen missed a lot in that game as it was. And the refs totally muffed the Petan penalty call. (Though I have to say, I thought Phillips should have had that shot and I think it cost him in the Richter voting.) Overall, HE officiating stinks.

Third, USCHO had a writer from SI come on and say how he thought there ought to be super regionals at campus sites, how he hated the way they were now due to the lack of atmosphere, and play 2 out of 3 games there, blah de blah, de blah. Apparently he has not researched this very closely, because right before him, an ESPN guy came on and said if they move to campus sites, espn would not broadcast them, except on espn3. Then the same writer from SI says he wants the game to grow and be accessible. Say what? But he's an eastern writer, so he must be an expert.

Another thing that happened which I find disquieting, is that a different eastern writer could not name a single player on UND's team, other than the goalie. So they know hockey, and write about hockey, but really they only know eastern hockey, and not only that, even at the frozen 4 they don't take time to do the homework they should do before the event.

I used to think these guys knew so much and I hung on every word. Now I think, where did they get THIS idiot.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                Third, USCHO had a writer from SI come on and say how he thought there ought to be super regionals at campus sites, how he hated the way they were now due to the lack of atmosphere, and play 2 out of 3 games there, blah de blah, de blah. Apparently he has not researched this very closely, because right before him, an ESPN guy came on and said if they move to campus sites, espn would not broadcast them, except on espn3. Then the same writer from SI says he wants the game to grow and be accessible. Say what? But he's an eastern writer, so he must be an expert.

Another thing that happened which I find disquieting, is that a different eastern writer could not name a single player on UND's team, other than the goalie. So they know hockey, and write about hockey, but really they only know eastern hockey, and not only that, even at the frozen 4 they don't take time to do the homework they should do before the event.

I used to think these guys knew so much and I hung on every word. Now I think, where did they get THIS idiot.
                Ryan Lambert? He's a Boston troll and his opinions should never be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Ryan Lambert? He's a Boston troll and his opinions should never be taken seriously.
                  Yes I know, and no it was Jim Connelly.He should know better.

Lambert is beyond hope.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Only five minutes in and Tanner Kero has his first AHL goal.

http://theahl.com/stats/game-summary...ame_id=1014519

Clip: https://twitter.com/goicehogs/status/586332481634304000
                    Last edited by redwing61; 04-09-2015, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      Never happen in Houghton. This is already the upper class of our society that goes to the games. The more seats get filled, the further out in the backwoods the yoopers will be getting pulled from.
                      That is true....and too funny.
                      MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                      2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

Last night I saw 10, maybe 14 other people at the Garden in Tech gear. I thought that was a fairly impressive presence. Easily the most among WCHA schools. There was a lot of "Go Tech" being yelled when we passed each other in the concourse.
                        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I think the makeup of the attendance has changed. Back in the heyday (1970s), the rate of student attendance was much higher and the townie attendance was a bit lower. Today, the rate of student attendance is still pretty low and a lot the tickets are given away for free to draw in the students. If even 1/3 the 7000 students attended, the place would be jammed. Student attendance is improving, but it's still far from where it should be. Once we start filling the student side with paid ticket buyers, we can start to talk about knocking out the east wall for more seats. There's no reason why this shouldn't be possible in a few years if the current trend continues.

Comment

What's the push for paid student seating? Is it to give them an incentive to be there (assuming they ignore the sunk cost fallacy)?

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Tanner Kero is our first All American since Jamie Ram. Huge.

Comment

Tanner Kero is our first All American since Jamie Ram. Huge.
                                ok, now that I see he is a first-teamer, your qualifier is correct. Both Colin Murphy and Chris Conner were all-americans but not first teamers, although Colin probably should have been.

Comment

Working...
                                X