Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    Taken from that article:
    "The Blackhawks also pulled out the stops to sign college free agents Kyle Baun... and Tanner Kero... Both players had offers in the double digits from NHL teams."
    Who knows the quality level of all the offers, but showing that to one of Tech's recruits can't hurt if they wonder if Tech is a good stop-off before pro hockey and if the coaching staff can get their game to the next level. I have to imagine Assistant Coach Muckalt is a good reference to have on the staff as well "Look what Coach Pearson did for me, we can do the same for you..."
    Ryan J
    http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/201...de-2-the-draft

All new entry-level contracts under this CBA will automatically be two-way and will automatically have a maximum salary of $925,000 at the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL level (or ECHL level if the case may be). However, players can earn a maximum of up to $3,775,000 from their team thanks to what the CBA calls "Exhibit 5" bonuses (performance bonuses).

Speaking of which, bonuses are only available on entry-level deals and they work in multiple ways:
    "Double digit" offers? Huh?
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Like 16 teams were tendering for his services...

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Mel View Post
        Like 16 teams were tendering for his services...
        Yeah I took it to mean lots of suitors...not bigger offers by $
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Yeah I took it to mean lots of suitors...not bigger offers by $

correct. came down to Nashville and Chicago in the end.
          "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Good for him. I hope the other guys get good offers as well.

One thing that concerned me all season this last year was how we did in the third period. I think the stats will show we were not that good, and I wonder what we will do to address is going forward. It was like we just ran out of gas.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Good for him. I hope the other guys get good offers as well.

One thing that concerned me all season this last year was how we did in the third period. I think the stats will show we were not that good, and I wonder what we will do to address is going forward. It was like we just ran out of gas.
              I'd have to look back and see how skewed this stuff is from the some of the big wins but Michigan Tech was:
              +18 (38-20) in 1st period
              +30 (53-23) in 2nd period
              +22 (51-29) in 3rd period
              even (0-0) in OT on goals

Shots tell a little different story
              +142 (478-336) in 1st period
              +99 (462-363) in 2nd period
              +53 (423-370) in 3rd period
              +30 (58-28) in OT (I'm sure this one is slanted heavily by UAH playoff game)

Some more good stats
              MTU was 7-5-2 when allowing the first goal
              19-3-0 when leading after 2 periods
              0-4-1 when trailing after 2 periods
              10-3-1 when even after 2 periods
              http://collegehockeystats.net/1415/teamstats/mtum
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Good to see Kero with so many offers. Obviously a lot of credit goes to Tanner, but the development this coaching staff provided can't be overlooked.

I think Mel had said he had to make the calls to get him into an NHL development camp last year, thinking he's was being overlooked and Kero said a few times the things he learned at the MN Wild camp about how he has to play helped him this year. Development/improvement by this coaching staff will help big time with this program not bringing in the highly drafted players like some other programs.

Also meant to post this here, Chris Dilks tweeted after Tech's last game that Joel L'Esperance is in his last year of being draft eligible and he thought a team should take a late round flyer on him. Something to watch at the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                  Good to see Kero with so many offers. Obviously a lot of credit goes to Tanner, but the development this coaching staff provided can't be overlooked.

I think Mel had said he had to make the calls to get him into an NHL development camp last year, thinking he's was being overlooked and Kero said a few times the things he learned at the MN Wild camp about how he has to play helped him this year. Development/improvement by this coaching staff will help big time with this program not bringing in the highly drafted players like some other programs.

Also meant to post this here, Chris Dilks tweeted after Tech's last game that Joel L'Esperance is in his last year of being draft eligible and he thought a team should take a late round flyer on him. Something to watch at the draft.
                  If I have my birthdates right Matt Roy, Mark Auk, Joel L'Esperance, and Alex Gillies are all still draft eligible (along with Brett Boeing, Demico Hannoun, Angus Redmond, Jake Kauppila, Jake Lucchini). The rest of the recruits excluding Cope are eligible for multiple years with some starting with the 2015 draft, all told there are 15 players/recruits eligible for the 2015 draft.

Hannoun, Cooper Watson, Mitch Reinke have a chance along with L'Esperance, Roy and Auk, but beyond Watson, I don't think anyone has that great a chance.

Comment

I'd have to look back and see how skewed this stuff is from the some of the big wins but Michigan Tech was:
                    +18 (38-20) in 1st period
                    +30 (53-23) in 2nd period
                    +22 (51-29) in 3rd period
                    even (0-0) in OT on goals

Shots tell a little different story
                    +142 (478-336) in 1st period
                    +99 (462-363) in 2nd period
                    +53 (423-370) in 3rd period
                    +30 (58-28) in OT (I'm sure this one is slanted heavily by UAH playoff game)

Some more good stats
                    MTU was 7-5-2 when allowing the first goal
                    19-3-0 when leading after 2 periods
                    0-4-1 when trailing after 2 periods
                    10-3-1 when even after 2 periods
                    http://collegehockeystats.net/1415/teamstats/mtum
                    Interesting. The thing that strikes me was in the big games; Duluth, Mankato x4. We had the lead or were tied in most, if not all of them, yet ended up losing a good many. The win against Duluth in the second game in particular, where we blew a lead in the third and then came back, and the 2 games at home vs mankato as well. We just didn't have it in the third in those games that really mattered. At least compared to earlier in the games, I didn't think we played as well.
                    Even vs St Cloud, I thought the third was our worst period.

Comment

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

I assume you're talking about this kid: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=283909
                      EP is pretty good about staying up on verbals, plus nothing on heisenberg and no signs of a tweet? I wouldn't be surprised if MTU is interested, but I got nothing.

Looks like Damon landed Morgan. going to Lake State.

https://***********/hockeycommits/st...39997462876161
                      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Interesting, things are reshaping my views of the 2015-16 class...its possible I could have quite a bit of the incoming class shuffled wrong. Sounds like its possible Hannoun defers another year, which makes me feel like it could be Lucchini or Kauppila that comes in next year.
                        If Hannoun defers, I wonder if they might not bring in Gavin Gould so he can play a season with his brother.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                          If Hannoun defers, I wonder if they might not bring in Gavin Gould so he can play a season with his brother.
                          well since Hannoun is being deferred and won't get to play with his cousin Alex Petan, I highly doubt Mel is swayed by things like that. It would be cool but he wants the recruits overly ready to come in.

Comment

I think Gould, Jackson, Hannoun, Boeing, and Reinke are locks, based on their stats. I think the others compete for the 1 slot left. These are some really good players, and they will make really good NCAA players too.

Comment

If indeed there is another player coming to join the team, I predict it will be Lucchini. In fact I'd rate him higher than some on your list.
                              Last edited by rocket; 04-07-2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Blake Hietila signed with the Colorado Eagles of the ECHL.
                                http://coloradoeagles.com/eagles-new...out-agreement/

Eagles Sign Hietala to Amateur Tryout Agreement

The Colorado Eagles announced Tuesday that they have signed forward Blake Hietala to an amateur tryout agreement.

The 5-foot-10, 185-pound winger joins the Eagles after concluding his career at Michigan Tech University. In 81 games with the Huskies, the Houghton, Michigan native compiled 16 goals and 19 assists to go along with 50 penalty minutes. Hietala made the transition to the NCAA level after posting 52 goals and 63 assists in two seasons with the Melfort Mustangs of the SJHL.

Tickets to all Colorado Eagles home games are on sale and start at just $16 per seat. Contact the Eagles ticket office at 970-686-SHOT (7468) or visitwww.ComcastTi***** to reserve your seats today and be part of the action!

Comment

Working...
                                X