Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Jeff McCarthy ‏@McCarthyOTB 8m8 minutes ago
    96 F Taro Hirose (Salmon Arm) commits to Michigan Tech, pure playmaker with great speed and hockey IQ, set to join in 16-17.
    First year BCHL player
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
      First year BCHL player
      Might be, but the players own twitter feed says he's going to Michigan State.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        First year BCHL player
        Looks like that was a mistake.
        https://twitter.com/tarzy17/status/584031940342259713
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

That's too bad, pretty sure MTU was interested in him...not sure to what extent but we certainly have a relationship with Salmon Arm.
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
            (counting the moments before GFM posts about Guerrero or an NMU fan about Dahlström)
            Phillips is clearly #1. Guerriero is clearly #2 or #3, depending on what you think of Bitzer (and he plays for Bemidji, so clearly I think that he's crap). I hope that Dahlström bounces back for a great season next year.

But if you switch goalies between Houghton and Huntsville, you might come out better for the deal.

GFM
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
              Phillips is clearly #1. Guerriero is clearly #2 or #3, depending on what you think of Bitzer (and he plays for Bemidji, so clearly I think that he's crap). I hope that Dahlström bounces back for a great season next year.

But if you switch goalies between Houghton and Huntsville, you might come out better for the deal.

GFM
              It should be interesting to see how Cole Huggins responds to Williams' departure. I assume he will rebound and be closer to this 2013-14 form than 2014-15.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Looks like Mel & Co. will need to cut a few players, either from the current team or from the recruits, in order to bring in the top new freshman talent. Tech rostered 30 players this season (31 if you include Joe Schuldt who was at Tech but wasn't rostered). With six players leaving, we have only 5 slots to fill in order to keep a roster of 30. I would guess they're planning to roster Schuldt, Birks, Blacklock and Evan Anderson for 2015/16. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the following:

Not sure what will happen with committed 20 year olds: Cope, Kauppila (maybe come to Tech but are not rostered, like Schuldt this year?)
                High end 19/20 year-olds likely to come for 2015/16: Jackson, Boeing, Lucchini, Hannoun, Reinke
                Eligible 18/19 year-olds that will probably wait another year: Redmond, Gould, Watson, Brown, Gerrie, Rostagno, Gingell
                16/17/18 year-old recruits (2016/17 at earliest): Ford, Newsome, Becker, Morgan, Williamson

Seems like it would be nice to bring in Gavin Gould and maybe Carter Watson, but they'd need to bump someone, and that's if Cope and/or Kauppila aren't rostered.
                Lots of tough decisions this summer for the coaching staff. Looks like we have only 5 slots for 7 committed players.

Comment

Originally posted by UpNorthHockey View Post
                  Looks like Mel & Co. will need to cut a few players, either from the current team or from the recruits, in order to bring in the top new freshman talent... we have only 5 slots for 7 committed players.
                  #NewProblems
                  #IssuesGoodTeamsHave

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Looks like Mel & Co. will need to cut a few players, either from the current team or from the recruits, in order to bring in the top new freshman talent. Tech rostered 30 players this season (31 if you include Joe Schuldt who was at Tech but wasn't rostered). With six players leaving, we have only 5 slots to fill in order to keep a roster of 30. I would guess they're planning to roster Schuldt, Birks, Blacklock and Evan Anderson for 2015/16. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the following:

Not sure what will happen with committed 20 year olds: Cope, Kauppila (maybe come to Tech but are not rostered, like Schuldt this year?)
                    High end 19/20 year-olds likely to come for 2015/16: Jackson, Boeing, Lucchini, Hannoun, Reinke
                    Eligible 18/19 year-olds that will probably wait another year: Redmond, Gould, Watson, Brown, Gerrie, Rostagno, Gingell
                    16/17/18 year-old recruits (2016/17 at earliest): Ford, Newsome, Becker, Morgan, Williamson

Seems like it would be nice to bring in Gavin Gould and maybe Carter Watson, but they'd need to bump someone, and that's if Cope and/or Kauppila aren't rostered.
                    Lots of tough decisions this summer for the coaching staff. Looks like we have only 5 slots for 7 committed players.

Schuldt left the program a few months ago. According to Mel, it was from recurring injuries.

Lots of competition for playing time. As it should be.
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Becker & Morgan? neither have committed yet as far as I know? As for the rest of your breakdown, you're not far off from my projections.

As for your roster question, is there any rule that required Schuldt to not be rostered? I thought he had a number and everything?
                      We had 18 forwards last year, so I expect that to be the same...that means one of Hannoun, Jackson, Boeing, Lucchini and Cope isn't coming...either that or Cope isn't rostered as you say.
                      On defense, we lose 2 in Davis and Sweeney so I would expect 2 more to come in, my best guess is Reinke and Watson. Redmond will probably go back another year if Phillips stays.

Here is how I have things laid out right now (bold player name means signed NLOI, bold year means my projection):
                      Forwards:
                      Hannoun 15-16
                      Jackson 15-16
                      Boeing 15-16
                      Lucchini 15-16 or 16-17 (idk yet)
                      Cope 15-16 (likely just a walk on so may not be rostered)
                      Kauppila 16-17
                      Gerrie 16-17
                      Gould 16-17 or 17-18
                      Newsome 16-17 or 17-18
                      Williamson 16-17 or 17-18

Defense:
                      Reinke 15-16
                      Watson 15-16 or 16-17
                      Ford 16-17 (3 years of eligibility)
                      Rostagno 16-17 or 17-18
                      Brown 16-17 or 17-18
                      Gingell 17-18

Goalie:
                      Redmond 15-16 or 16-17 (changes if Phillips leaves)

Comment

Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                        Schuldt left the program a few months ago. According to Mel, it was from recurring injuries.

Lots of competition for playing time. As it should be.
                        Yes. 6 spots open.

Comment

When does the window for NLI's open?
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            When does the window for NLI's open?
                            April 15th.

Comment

Where are Becker, Morgan, Williamson from/playing currently?

Comment

Originally posted by JTWRJW View Post
                                Where are Becker, Morgan, Williamson from/playing currently?
                                Becker is a potential recruit that just completed his junior year at Mahtomedi HS in Minnesota.

Williamson is a 16 yo that is playing in the BCHL with Vernon.

Comment

Working...
                                X