Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Time to turn to the future...
    4 recruits currently in the USHL are set to make playoffs
    Brett Boeing and Keegan Ford with 4th place (east) Dubuque
    Mitch Reinke with 2nd place (east)Cedar Rapids
    Jake Gingell with 3rd place (west) Omaha

Boeing is one of the best goal scorers in the USHL this year, Reinke is having a great season as a defensman.

5 recruits currently in the BCHL made the playoffs
    Demico Hannoun and Mitch Newsome with 1st place (Interior) Penticton
    Jake Jackson with 1st place (Island) Nanaimo
    Jagger Williamson with 2nd place (Interior) Vernon
    Gavin Gould with 3rd place (Interior) Merritt

Gould led his team in scoring with 4 points in 4 games but they were eliminated by Williamson and Vernon.

Williamson had 3 points and helped Vernon win the first round matchup and take Penticton to the brink but ultimately, Hannoun and Newsome survived

Hannoun has been doing very well leading Penticton in points thus far and they're still alive in the double round robin round along with Jackson and Nanaimo

Jackson is also doing well, but received a game misconduct during the round-robin round and will be back on the ice thursday for Nanaimo.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      Our very own Mel Pearson has been selected as CHN's Coach of the Year.
      http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...201503316xkvpy
      It tells you they really screwed up not having Pearson as WCHA Coach of the Year.
      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
        It tells you they really screwed up not having Pearson as WCHA Coach of the Year.
        Meh. I can see both sides. I thought Mel deserved it because of how far the team has come, but then again he didn't beat Hastings. So I wasn't too upset at the WCHA.

Comment

Here's a rules question for those people who know them better than me. during the Petan embellishment penalty. He was hooked and during that hook, he closed his right arm down, and basically kept the hooking player from pulling his stick out of there. Is that why he got the penalty, or does that act have any effect at all? I've seen it before and I think a lot of people do it, I just wonder.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Time to turn to the future...
            4 recruits currently in the USHL are set to make playoffs
            Brett Boeing and Keegan Ford with 4th place (east) Dubuque
            Mitch Reinke with 2nd place (east)Cedar Rapids
            Jake Gingell with 3rd place (west) Omaha

Boeing is one of the best goal scorers in the USHL this year, Reinke is having a great season as a defensman.

5 recruits currently in the BCHL made the playoffs
            Demico Hannoun and Mitch Newsome with 1st place (Interior) Penticton
            Jake Jackson with 1st place (Island) Nanaimo
            Jagger Williamson with 2nd place (Interior) Vernon
            Gavin Gould with 3rd place (Interior) Merritt

Gould led his team in scoring with 4 points in 4 games but they were eliminated by Williamson and Vernon.

Williamson had 3 points and helped Vernon win the first round matchup and take Penticton to the brink but ultimately, Hannoun and Newsome survived

Hannoun has been doing very well leading Penticton in points thus far and they're still alive in the double round robin round along with Jackson and Nanaimo

Jackson is also doing well, but received a game misconduct during the round-robin round and will be back on the ice thursday for Nanaimo.
            How about Jake Lucchini in the BCHL? Would he be coming in 2015 or has he not signed a Letter yet?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              Here's a rules question for those people who know them better than me. during the Petan embellishment penalty. He was hooked and during that hook, he closed his right arm down, and basically kept the hooking player from pulling his stick out of there. Is that why he got the penalty, or does that act have any effect at all? I've seen it before and I think a lot of people do it, I just wonder.
              The hooking penalty could have been called well before Petan traps the stock but I do believe that's why the embellishment was called.
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The hooking penalty could have been called well before Petan traps the stock but I do believe that's why the embellishment was called.
                Yes it did, but i've seen this so often that I wonder if it really is against the rules.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Pure Mel View Post
                  How about Jake Lucchini in the BCHL? Would he be coming in 2015 or has he not signed a Letter yet?
                  There are more recruits, the rest just aren't in the playoffs, like Lucchini. Not sure on all the years for players yet...

Comment

Originally posted by HuskyNation View Post
                    Meh. I can see both sides. I thought Mel deserved it because of how far the team has come, but then again he didn't beat Hastings. So I wasn't too upset at the WCHA.
                    I agree. If Mel would have split with Mankato during the season, I think he would have been coach of the year. Tough to not give it to the coach who finished above you and won 4 of the 5 games head-to-head.
                    Last edited by Pure Mel; 03-31-2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      Yes it did, but i've seen this so often that I wonder if it really is against the rules.
                      Now that you mention it, I see "armpitting" the opponents stick all the time but I don't recall the last time something has been called...(with the exception of Petan call in Fargo).

Comment

I look at improvement. MSU has made runs in the past. MTU? Notsomuch. At least the last 2 decades or so, overall. Tough call, but I'd give it to Mel.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

There are more recruits, the rest just aren't in the playoffs, like Lucchini. Not sure on all the years for players yet...
                          SG, what is the rule on age to continue playing Juniors? I have 21 stuck in my mind...

Comment

SG, what is the rule on age to continue playing Juniors? I have 21 stuck in my mind...
                            I don't pay attention to age on juniors but you need to enroll in college before you turn 22.

Comment

There are two separate rules. One for the junior leagues and one for the US colleges.

I think that all of the junior leagues say that you can't play if you turn 21 during the calendar year when the season starts. You can turn 21 during the season, but it must be after the new year starts. So this season being 2014-15, the oldest players are born early in 1994.

The NCAA takes away a year of eligibility if a player plays juniors after their 21st birthday without being enrolled in college and taking some minimum about of courses. So players this year who were born early in 1994 enroll in a local community college and take courses. They use up one of their five years that the NCAA allows for using their four years of eligibility since that clock starts clicking when they enroll in any college, but they don't use up a year of eligibility. The net effect is that the player can't redshirt.

Congrats on your season!
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Subscribing the thread.
                                MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Working...
                                X