Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

    I was too depressed in Fargo to really drink. I figured I would have to drink my sorrows away, but after 3-4 I just didn't care and wanted to sleep.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

    Comment


    • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

      Since this thread seems to have gone into snooze mode, I'll just throw out a reminder that if anyone has an old game used Huskies jersey laying around, now would be a great opportunity to trade up to a not-shiny, not-new, game-used 2014-15 model. A couple players available that I would consider moving so you can be sporting the latest model at this year's NCAA tourney... C'mon, what are you all hiding in your basements and attics??? Let's see 'em.

      Ryan J

      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

      Comment


      • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

        With 5 extra forwards, who do you think will win the early battles for playing time...

        Jake Jackson or Evan Anderson
        Alex Gillies or Jake Lucchini or Brett Boeing
        Vallis or Baltus

        Comment


        • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

          Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Since this thread seems to have gone into snooze mode, I'll just throw out a reminder that if anyone has an old game used Huskies jersey laying around, now would be a great opportunity to trade up to a not-shiny, not-new, game-used 2014-15 model. A couple players available that I would consider moving so you can be sporting the latest model at this year's NCAA tourney... C'mon, what are you all hiding in your basements and attics??? Let's see 'em.

          Ryan J

          I have a black #25 from about 5 years ago (Nielson wore it).
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

          RIP - Kirby

          Comment


          • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

            The Mel P show got me excited for the season. Some of my takeaways:

            Alumni reunion was a success, hope to have it every 2 years and make it a bigger event, will help to have the same coach/continuity with the event, Mel hopes to be here a long time

            Mel's goal and next major project is expanding east end wall - not sure when that will happen, but talked to alumni about it at the hockey weekend

            New white unis are in they look sharp

            WCHA is switching the 2nd half of the season to wear darks at home - could be some exception like if Tech wants to wear throwback/gold at Winter Carnival

            Shuchuck will be a good Billy replacement - pro experience, from western Canada, can develop talent, can recruit

            Recruiting is good, had a sophomore and junior to be in recently - they're excited about Tech program

            Meet and greet 9/27 in evening - no NFL conflicts, will be at Begg instead of traditional picnic in the park

            Comment


            • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

              Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
              New white unis are in they look sharp... WCHA is switching the 2nd half of the season to wear darks at home
              The first one is a head scratcher. That comment makes me think they changed the design of the whites (which I would always support). However if they changed the white uniforms, why did they do all the green screen, off season video work wearing the old style uniforms? Doesn't make much sense to me.

              Dark at home second half would have been cool... had the NCHC not already announced they would do the same thing several weeks ago. No need to follow their lead.

              Ryan J

              EDIT: It looks like Tech has a new style home jersey. MTUhky is tweeting there will be a jersey release later this week. PLEEEEASE be something we haven't seen before, and not just the same jersey we already have in black or gold or cream now offered in white. We so badly need a white throwback jersey for our 95th season.
              Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 08-31-2015, 04:35 PM.
              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
              Originally posted by geezer
              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
              Originally posted by manurespreader
              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

              Comment


              • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                More jersey news today - a Mankato alum/writer ranks Tech as the best jerseys in the WCHA. Unfortunately, his rankings are based on a jersey style they only used one season or he just made this up in his mind. But we're keeping the trophy anyway...
                Ryan J

                http://alongtheboards.com/2015/08/ra...uniforms-wcha/

                Their black away jerseys are great, reading “Michigan Tech” and “Huskies” across the front, with player’s numbers in the middle.

                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                Comment


                • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                  The new white jerseys will be revealed on Friday per MTU Hockey on Twitter.
                  Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                    Does anyone know, based on the coaches now in place, who will coach offense and who will coach defence"

                    Comment


                    • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                      Originally posted by midwest hockey View Post
                      Does anyone know, based on the coaches now in place, who will coach offense and who will coach defence"
                      According to Coach Pearson coach Shuchuk will work primarily with the forwards, and recruit out west. That does not mean however, that he coaches offense, or that coach Shawhan coaches defense. I'm sure the overall offensive and defensive schemes are coach Pearson's responsibility.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                      It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                      Comment


                      • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                        Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        More jersey news today - a Mankato alum/writer ranks Tech as the best jerseys in the WCHA. Unfortunately, his rankings are based on a jersey style they only used one season or he just made this up in his mind. But we're keeping the trophy anyway...
                        Ryan J

                        http://alongtheboards.com/2015/08/ra...uniforms-wcha/

                        Their black away jerseys are great, reading “Michigan Tech” and “Huskies” across the front, with player’s numbers in the middle.

                        Based on instagram picks it looks like the new whites are just a mimic of the current blacks...disappointing.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                        Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                        Comment


                        • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                          Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Based on instagram picks it looks like the new whites are just a mimic of the current blacks...disappointing.
                          Yeah, I liked the two distinct styles. but still ANYTHING is better than the piano dog.
                          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

                          Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

                          2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

                          Comment


                          • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                            Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            According to Coach Pearson coach Shuchuk will work primarily with the forwards, and recruit out west. That does not mean however, that he coaches offense, or that coach Shawhan coaches defense. I'm sure the overall offensive and defensive schemes are coach Pearson's responsibility.
                            Yeah, it's ultimately up to Mel to set the direction, with input from the assistants. Where a guy like Shuchuk comes in is player development - he had a few cups of coffee in the NHL and presumably knows the little things players have to do to have a shot at getting there, particularly smaller forwards like he was (though I'll grant you, it was a bit easier to be undersized during Shuchuk's NHL stints in the early-to-mid 90s).

                            Mel also mentioned that Rix will be an assistant in the AJHL this season, which is good, and that Cam Ellsworth came back for the alumni reunion (think he's forgiven Mel for snubbing his resume? )

                            I suspect the east end expansion is happening sooner rather than later, they just don't have any firm plans or project schedule/budget to announce yet. They're more than likely in the phase of fishing around for a few major donors. Interesting note relayed from the MacInnes family that when the arena was built, the plan as far back as 1971 was to eventually expand that end, and so the east wall was constructed in such a way that it could be demoed easily and relatively inexpensively.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Based on instagram picks it looks like the new whites are just a mimic of the current blacks...disappointing.
                              Yeah, that's what it looks like. Not very bright of them to drag out an anticlimactic reveal with teases.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                                Since there doesn't seem to be a way to use Intagram without an account, can someone post what they are seeing or just email me the image?
                                info@johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Ryan J
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X