Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

I still think Tech was the better team in their NCAA game vs SCSU, but they didn't get the breaks they needed and didn't get the win. If that had won that game, they were three wins from a National Championship. I'm not saying they could have beaten UND at "home" or BU at "home" but just ask Yale, Union and Providence how close three wins is to winning it all. Nobody picked any of those teams to win it all. They got in the tourney and then anything is possible.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

In Goal Magazine lists both Pheonix Copley and Jamie Phillips as top-50 NHL goalie prospects

Copley - 11 (second best goalie in Blues system of 3 to make list)
      Phillips - 49 (third best goalie in Jets system)
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        I still think Tech was the better team in their NCAA game vs SCSU, but they didn't get the breaks they needed and didn't get the win. If that had won that game, they were three wins from a National Championship. I'm not saying they could have beaten UND at "home" or BU at "home" but just ask Yale, Union and Providence how close three wins is to winning it all. Nobody picked any of those teams to win it all. They got in the tourney and then anything is possible.

Ryan J
        Just needed to bury the chances we had. Dominating OT like that and not scoring was so very painful.
        MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          In Goal Magazine lists both Pheonix Copley and Jamie Phillips as top-50 NHL goalie prospects
          I am assuming the list excludes the current 30 starting NHL goalies, but did the list include their current back-ups as "prospects"? In other words are there 30 or 60 current NHL goalies and then this list of 50?
          Ryan J

Comment

I am assuming the list excludes the current 30 starting NHL goalies, but did the list include their current back-ups as "prospects"? In other words are there 30 or 60 current NHL goalies and then this list of 50?
            Ryan J
            Sorry meant to post a link, pretty sure they couldn't be on an nhl roster. Connor Hellebuyck with the Jets AHL affiliate was #1.

http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50...5-2016-season/
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Sorry meant to post a link, pretty sure they couldn't be on an nhl roster. Connor Hellebuyck with the Jets AHL affiliate was #1.

http://ingoalmag.com/features/top-50...5-2016-season/
              I think usually they just pick an arbitrary number of games at the pro level to determine prospect status. Like, a player that is called up for a few games and sent down is still considered a prospect for these fairly useless rankings, as long as he is below the games limit.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

The article defines a prospect as under 25 years of age and 10 or fewer NHL games played.
                Originally posted by dicaslover
                Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

So in short, even the #1 guy on the list is a looong way from the NHL because he has to beat out 30 back-ups and at least one starter before he is going to see time in an NHL net. Based on that list, it is a no-brainer for Phillips to be back this season. However if he puts up another 20 win season I would think he shows up in the top 25 next year.
                  Ryan J

Comment

So in short, even the #1 guy on the list is a looong way from the NHL because he has to beat out 30 back-ups and at least one starter before he is going to see time in an NHL net. Based on that list, it is a no-brainer for Phillips to be back this season. However if he puts up another 20 win season I would think he shows up in the top 25 next year.
                    Ryan J
                    No, there are probably 20 players on that list that are better than backups at the NHL level. They're just still in the AHL because it is better for their development to play every day at the AHL level than sit on the bench at the NHL level.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

bigblue is probably right, but at the same time, the key once again for Jamie's return is wanting to improve on last year for the team and whether or not the Jets trade his rights to a team that needs a goalie sooner than they do.

Comment

One of my favorite photos from this past weekend.
                        "Excuse me, coming through, I just need to roll this rack out to the parking lot."
                        "Hey, where are you going out with those jerseys?"
                        "Oh, these jerseys? Ahhhh, I'm just taking them, ummm to the cleaners..."

Comment

bigblue is probably right, but at the same time, the key once again for Jamie's return is wanting to improve on last year for the team and whether or not the Jets trade his rights to a team that needs a goalie sooner than they do.
                          "Starting in goal tonight, for your Florida Quebec City Panthers..."

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonsjerseys View Post
                            one of my favorite photos from this past weekend.
                            "excuse me, coming through, i just need to roll this rack out to the parking lot."
                            "hey, where are you going out with those jerseys?"
                            "oh, these jerseys? Ahhhh, i'm just taking them, ummm to the cleaners..."

lol!
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

So, my grandpa did a little work on those old MacInnes seats I bought off of JohnsonsJerseys:

Comment

Those look great!

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X