Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't like it because it is 100% weak as ****. 4 games vs. BGSU, 2 games vs. MSU (the one that doesn't suck), and 2 games vs. BSU. That's what it will come down to. And better not lose more than 2 games the rest of schedule, or we'll be firmly on the bubble, or worse.
    I'm much more in favor since there are a lot of games accessible to go to from lower Michigan

The remaining non-conference games will have a large bearing on NCAA prospects as astutely pointed out. It's more than likely in my view that two of the 3 games available will be against one of Michigan/Minnesota/Notre Dame, and they'll have to be successful to prove a help in the PairWise. Scheduling an eastern patsy (or Wisconsin for that matter) would be detrimental to that effort.

I'd propose a non-conference game at Michigan (or Notre Dame) sometime between Halloween and November 3rd, which could be a stopover on the way to the series at Huntsville on November 6-7. Then a two game series at MN/UM (or Notre Dame if they don't play there in the 1st half) on 22-23 Jan or 12-13 Feb could round out the slate.
    Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 05-04-2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
      I'm much more in favor since there are a lot of games accessible to go to from lower Michigan

The remaining non-conference games will have a large bearing on NCAA prospects as astutely pointed out. It's more than likely in my view that two of the 3 games available will be against one of Michigan/Minnesota/Notre Dame, and they'll have to be successful to prove a help in the PairWise. Scheduling an eastern patsy (or Wisconsin for that matter) would be detrimental to that effort.

I'd propose a non-conference game at Michigan (or Notre Dame) sometime between Halloween and November 3rd, which could be a stopover on the way to the series at Huntsville on November 6-7. Then a two game series at MN/UM (or Notre Dame if they don't play there in the 1st half) on 22-23 Jan or 12-13 Feb could round out the slate.
      My ideal situation for the last non-conference series is at Mariucci, Halloween weekend.

Friday Night: Tech @ Minnesota, Mariucci
      Saturday Night: UMi @ Minnesota (football), The Bank
      Sunday Afternoon: Tech @ Minnesota, Mariucci

Now that would be a fun weekend. I'd go from rooting against to Gophers on Friday, to very much FOR them on Saturday, and back to against on Sunday.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I would think a series with Minnesota is likely and maybe a single game in GB against Notre Dame.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          I would think a series with Minnesota is likely and maybe a single game in GB against Notre Dame.
          GPL seems to think that MN's schedule is full.

20 B16 Conference
          6 In-state Schools
          2 Mariucci Classic
          2 Wooden Cup Classic
          2 Northeastern
          2 Notre Dame

I asked if Northeastern and Notre Dame are for sure, because maybe one of those gets pushed out a year.
          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I would be against going to Notre Dame for games.It's still a far piece to go, The refereeing is terrible and ND get's a big advantage. They beat Providence there mid winter this last season, when they didn't deserve to, in large part because they got calls made against PC and not against them.So, no 1 for 1, no game if you ask me.

I'll take a big team any time compared to that., Unless it is in fact at Green Bay or some neutral site. I'd even do a 1 for 1 with Clarkson. Even if it is far. You could fly into either Albany or Burlington VT. I'd rather do the 1 for 1 games with the ECAC than with HE or the NCHC anyway. We used to fly twice per year or more in the old WCHA, Denver, CC, and Alaska, so flying to Alaska and one other time is not the end of the world.
            I did notice no bye after the alaska trip this year.

And BB, Michigan state is actually not too bad. Though we might see them three times. I believe they beat minnesota this last season.

I thought UND was talking about getting a game, but I guess they want a 1 for 0 or something.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
              Teams with these weekends available, and openings left in their schedule: (bolded for teams we might actually see)
              October 30-31:
              RPI
              Union
              I doubt you're going to see RPI or Union, as they will probably use this week for their in-conference home/home. They have done this in the past couple years or so (two of the last three), and I don't see too many other openings, unless they decide to split the series, which they haven't done since 09-10.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                I would be against going to Notre Dame for games.It's still a far piece to go, The refereeing is terrible and ND get's a big advantage. They beat Providence there mid winter this last season, when they didn't deserve to, in large part because they got calls made against PC and not against them.So, no 1 for 1, no game if you ask me.

I'll take a big team any time compared to that., Unless it is in fact at Green Bay or some neutral site. I'd even do a 1 for 1 with Clarkson. Even if it is far. You could fly into either Albany or Burlington VT. I'd rather do the 1 for 1 games with the ECAC than with HE or the NCHC anyway. We used to fly twice per year or more in the old WCHA, Denver, CC, and Alaska, so flying to Alaska and one other time is not the end of the world.
                I did notice no bye after the alaska trip this year.

And BB, Michigan state is actually not too bad. Though we might see them three times. I believe they beat minnesota this last season.

I thought UND was talking about getting a game, but I guess they want a 1 for 0 or something.
                Agreed on Notre Dame. At the Resch Center, with WCHA refs would be fine, other than that, screw em.

I would definitely like a 1 for 1 with an ECAC team. Clarkson would be fine, RPI would be better. Based on comments from mel during his radio show this season, this seem like it would be further down the road, unfortunately.

In any given year, our non conference schedule should look like:

8 total games (10 in years we go to Alaska twice)
                2 GLI
                2 In-state non-conference (Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan) alternating home and away
                2 Other NCHC or B16 team (UMD, Wisconsin, MN, UND, SCSU, etc.)
                2 ECAC, Atlantic Hockey or Hockey East teams
                ABSOLUTELY NO NON-CONFERENCE GAMES AGAINST CONFERENCE OPPONENTS

In any given year, 1 of those series has to be in Houghton, with every other year, 2 out of 3 being in Houghton.

For years when we go to Alaska 2 times, I would add another series with an in-state team, or a nearby NCHC/B16 team. In those years, 2 non conference series MUST be in Houghton.

Plan it so in years when we play Michigan in the first game of the GLI, we don't play a series against them, same with Michigan State. If you play Michigan in the first game, schedule Michigan State in a non-conference game, or the other way around.
                Last year we had:

2 GLI (Michigan in the first game)
                2 Michigan @ home
                2 @ Wisconsin
                2 UMD @ home

The only issue I have with this schedule, is I'd rather have played Michigan State in the first game of the GLI, but overall, not much to complain about. (no one expected Wisconsin to be historically bad)

This year, we have:

2 GLI (Michigan State in first game)
                2 Michigan State
                2 ???????
                1 ???????
                1 Extra exhibition against a Canadian school.

Disappointing to say the least.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

I agree that it is unlikely that next year's NC schedule will live up to what we played this year. However I feel that our conference schedule has increased in difficulty. I think BGSU and UAF will be top teams in the league this year and we have four games against each. I also expect that MSU will compete for a top three spot despite key losses to their roster. If these teams are top 16 teams, then assuming Tech can win some of those games you see the same thing happening to the Huskies that happened to NCHC teams this past year - you stay high in the pairwise just based on your conference games. We're giving up a second pair of games against UAH and UAA so if you assume those two will be bottom half teams then that is also increasing your strength of schedule.

Now that we've had MSU and Mich up to Houghton, I see no reason to keep scheduling them for a separate weekend series as long as we are in the GLI. There are plenty of other great teams to schedule and we'll get those two teams every couple years just out of blind luck in the GLI. If they want to keep a local feel then play a series with Western, but they've been in the GLI so much recently I really don't care to play them either. Duluth, MN, WI or maybe even Miami are nearly as close and would be more interesting games. On the years we play @ UAF and @ UAA invite an AH team to Houghton just for something different. With almost 60 NCAA D-I teams, I'm sure there are at least 20 we haven't played in a decade (if ever).

Ryan J
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

I hope that some of y'all will make the trip to Huntsville in November!

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      I agree that it is unlikely that next year's NC schedule will live up to what we played this year. However I feel that our conference schedule has increased in difficulty. I think BGSU and UAF will be top teams in the league this year and we have four games against each. I also expect that MSU will compete for a top three spot despite key losses to their roster. If these teams are top 16 teams, then assuming Tech can win some of those games you see the same thing happening to the Huskies that happened to NCHC teams this past year - you stay high in the pairwise just based on your conference games. We're giving up a second pair of games against UAH and UAA so if you assume those two will be bottom half teams then that is also increasing your strength of schedule.

Now that we've had MSU and Mich up to Houghton, I see no reason to keep scheduling them for a separate weekend series as long as we are in the GLI. There are plenty of other great teams to schedule and we'll get those two teams every couple years just out of blind luck in the GLI. If they want to keep a local feel then play a series with Western, but they've been in the GLI so much recently I really don't care to play them either. Duluth, MN, WI or maybe even Miami are nearly as close and would be more interesting games. On the years we play @ UAF and @ UAA invite an AH team to Houghton just for something different. With almost 60 NCAA D-I teams, I'm sure there are at least 20 we haven't played in a decade (if ever).

Ryan J
                      Now it[s payback time on those two for one deals with Michigan and State. Don't hold your breath on Miami making the trip to the UP any time soon. One future series you have is a non conference series with LSSU next year. It's set up so that the three UP schools will all play four times a year. I do believe Wisconsin also owes you one. Great season for you last year and it looks like Tech will contend again.
                      Last edited by davyd83; 05-05-2015, 12:53 AM.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Disappointing that we're burning a non-conference game with an exhibition game.

Also interesting to note the Mariucci classic wasn't even close to being a possibility with the GLI/Mariucci Classic actually overlapping on 12/30.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Now it[s payback time on those two for one deals with Michigan and State. Don't hold your breath on Miami making the trip to the UP any time soon. One future series you have is a non conference series with LSSU next year. It's set up so that the three UP schools will all play four times a year. I do believe Wisconsin also owes you one. Great season for you last year and it looks like Tech will contend again.
                          Which is complete BULL****. Non-conference games vs. conference opponents just makes us look like a Mickey Mouse conference. It is a step firmly in the wrong direction for all schools involved, and for the conference as a whole.

This needs to be improved, and it is true that 2 for 1's is part of the problem. No more 2 for 1's. 1 for none pay games may work, in certain years, where we have other home non-conference games. If we can't get even agreements with teams nearby, go to the ECAC, the non-Ivies always need more games.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

You realize this works both ways, right? The ECAC is basically a bus league. They may not want to travel to WCHA schools, or they may often get better deals from B1G, HEA and NCHC schools that are much easier to travel to, and (let's be honest) are more likely to be marquee opponents for their fans.

All we can do is play the best schedule we can. Mel or not, you can't expect Tech to be playing a "sexy" OOC schedule every year.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              You realize this works both ways, right? The ECAC is basically a bus league. They may not want to travel to WCHA schools, or they may often get better deals from B1G, HEA and NCHC schools that are much easier to travel to, and (let's be honest) are more likely to be marquee opponents for their fans.

All we can do is play the best schedule we can. Mel or not, you can't expect Tech to be playing a "sexy" OOC schedule every year.
                              Not long ago we had a 1 for 1 with St. Lawrence. Which should be evidence enough to show that there are opportunities out there. Do we need one every year? No. Every few years? Should be easily do-able.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

In the 90s and early 2000s we regularly had a NC series with an ECAC team so I call BS.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X