Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

    Tech had a pretty incredible season by the standards of any Huskies fan. While we didn't fill the trophy case with hardware, I think it would be nearly impossible to find a fan of Tech hockey who had goals set higher last Fall than what the Huskies achieved during the 2014-15 season.
    • 10-0 Start
    • Dominated Michigan in their return to Houghton
    • No. 1 Ranking
    • Hosting first home playoff games since 1993 for WCHA Playoffs
    • Winning 1-0 in the longest game in MTU history
    • Two (almost three) shutout home playoff games for Phillips
    • WCHA Championship game appearance
    • NCAA Tournament appearance, first since '81
    • Tanner Kero - Hobey Baker Award Finalist
    • Jamie Phillips - Mike Richter Award Finalist
    • 29 win season
    • Pearson 2nd all-time in career wins in his 4th season
    • Four players reaching 100 career pt milestone

    Of course some may look at the final two games of the season and wonder what might have been - taking a 2-1 lead into the 3rd period of the WCHA Championship over eventual #1 overall seed Mankato and holding a 2-1 lead over SCSU with two shots at an empty net in the West regional semi-final. No doubt these are moments for the underclassmen to keep fresh in their minds as they move forward. Hopefully they are learning moments that will be a building blocks to even greater future success...

    As closure to the 2014-15 season, I wanted to share some images which were my view of the end of this season. With sincere thanks to Michigan Tech and Tech Hockey Guide for the access to shoot these games (and these specific images from between the benches in Fargo) here is how I saw it...

    You can click on the images to view the larger version in a new window.


    Cliff Watson (#2) lines up for a shot block attempt as SCSU's Peterson (#17) cuts towards the net with Gould (#14) attempting to get back into the play.


    Watson squares up to the shooter and executes a near perfect block of the initial shot. Phillips goes down anticipating the low shot from Peterson.


    The pucks bounces off Watson's shin pad almost directly back onto the blade of the Peterson's stick (puck can be seen just to the left of Peterson's left skate).


    Jamie begins to push to his left in an attempt to reposition, but in a split second, with the shooting angle now changed, the puck is off Peterson's stick again and already in the back of the net.


    Another split second later, Tech's season is over, leaving Jamie momentarily alone with his thoughts and the puck.

    This last photo is by Eric Hylden/Grand Forks Herald, but I felt it was the best one I saw from the end of the game. You can see in the players' body language that they were not satisfied with just taking part in that game. There were higher goals in their minds...



    This year's team raised the bar substantially, but it is time to look forward... 2015-16 season here come the Huskies!

    Go Tech!
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

  • #2
    Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

    From my last post in the other thread:
    I have @ Michigan State, @ Michigan, vs Wisconsin penciled in for next season along with the GLI (we get 8 NC games next year)
    There is also the possibility that one of those gets bumped to 2016-17 to make room for Mariucci Classic in Minneapolis if schedules work out between that and GLI.
    2016-17 I have GLI, @ Michigan State and @ Lake State penciled right now (we get 10 NC games in '16-17)

    Other than GLI and 2 games with LSSU every other year, thats all I have for potential NC games. There is the possibility that the Michigan State or Michigan deals become 2 for 2 but I'm pretty sure they were not signed that way.

    Now that the season is over and its time to look ahead to next season, I'm going to attempt to get caught up on THG recruiting news starting in the middle of April. Lots to talk about between the potentially redshirted players and trying to figure out who is coming in next season.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

      As has been said, literally everything that had to go wrong for us to lost that game did, if even one of those events in that last 2 minute sequence goes differently we win that game, the hockey gods were not on out side that night but o look at is this way, that can only happen so often and we got it out of the way for the decade.
      2005-2006: 7-25-6
      2006-2007: 18-17-5
      2007-2008: 14-20-5
      2008-2009: 6-25-7
      2009-2010: 5-30-1

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

        Originally posted by bose301s View Post
        As has been said, literally everything that had to go wrong for us to lost that game did, if even one of those events in that last 2 minute sequence goes differently we win that game, the hockey gods were not on out side that night but o look at is this way, that can only happen so often and we got it out of the way for the decade.
        I hope it leaves an UGLY VILE BITTERNESS in the teams mouth and they use it to their advantage.

        To know you were that close but still so far. You can't rely on the hockey gods and you thank them when they help you.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

          Just saw that MTU retweeted Mel Pearson... Mel tweeted a photo of Tony O and Tanner Kero in Chicago. Together.

          Whatever good will your team was gaining from me during this season will immediately be reduced back to zero if Kero signs with the Blackhawks/Icehogs. Ugh.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

          Live Radio from 100.3

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

            Remember when you guys thought you were good and then lost in the first round of the NCAA tourney to the 6th place team in the NCHC when you had the lead with less then 35seconds left in the 3rd period... Hahaha that' was funny! Then Mankato lost to RIT(38th in pairwise) in the first round.. I guess when I said that the WCHA was a powderpuff conferance I was right but hey since their are no good teams in the conference anymore after all the good ones left you guys should be able to be on top with any scrub teams you can throw together!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

              Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              From my last post in the other thread:
              I have @ Michigan State, @ Michigan, vs Wisconsin penciled in for next season along with the GLI (we get 8 NC games next year)
              There is also the possibility that one of those gets bumped to 2016-17 to make room for Mariucci Classic in Minneapolis if schedules work out between that and GLI.
              2016-17 I have GLI, @ Michigan State and @ Lake State penciled right now (we get 10 NC games in '16-17)

              Other than GLI and 2 games with LSSU every other year, thats all I have for potential NC games. There is the possibility that the Michigan State or Michigan deals become 2 for 2 but I'm pretty sure they were not signed that way.

              Now that the season is over and its time to look ahead to next season, I'm going to attempt to get caught up on THG recruiting news starting in the middle of April. Lots to talk about between the potentially redshirted players and trying to figure out who is coming in next season.
              Back in December, Pearson mentioned that he had a verbal agreement with Sandelin for UMD and Tech to resume their series starting in 2016-17. Whether that comes to fruition or not remains to be seen but I'd say it will probably happen.
              tUMD Hockey

              "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                Back in December, Pearson mentioned that he had a verbal agreement with Sandelin for UMD and Tech to resume their series starting in 2016-17. Whether that comes to fruition or not remains to be seen but I'd say it will probably happen.
                It is a series that I think both want, especially with the short travel time, and Tech re-finding success.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                  Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Tech had a pretty incredible season by the standards of any Huskies fan. While we didn't fill the trophy case with hardware, I think it would be nearly impossible to find a fan of Tech hockey who had goals set higher last Fall than what the Huskies achieved during the 2014-15 season.
                  • 10-0 Start
                  • Dominated Michigan in their return to Houghton
                  • No. 1 Ranking
                  • Hosting first home playoff games since 1993 for WCHA Playoffs
                  • Winning 1-0 in the longest game in MTU history
                  • Two (almost three) shutout home playoff games for Phillips
                  • WCHA Championship game appearance
                  • NCAA Tournament appearance, first since '81
                  • Tanner Kero - Hobey Baker Award Finalist
                  • Jamie Phillips - Mike Richter Award Finalist
                  • 29 win season
                  • Pearson 2nd all-time in career wins in his 4th season
                  • Four players reaching 100 career pt milestone

                  Of course some may look at the final two games of the season and wonder what might have been - taking a 2-1 lead into the 3rd period of the WCHA Championship over eventual #1 overall seed Mankato and holding a 2-1 lead over SCSU with two shots at an empty net in the West regional semi-final. No doubt these are moments for the underclassmen to keep fresh in their minds as they move forward. Hopefully they are learning moments that will be a building blocks to even greater future success...

                  As closure to the 2014-15 season, I wanted to share some images which were my view of the end of this season. With sincere thanks to Michigan Tech and Tech Hockey Guide for the access to shoot these games (and these specific images from between the benches in Fargo) here is how I saw it...

                  You can click on the images to view the larger version in a new window.


                  Cliff Watson (#2) lines up for a shot block attempt as SCSU's Peterson (#17) cuts towards the net with Gould (#14) attempting to get back into the play.


                  Watson squares up to the shooter and executes a near perfect block of the initial shot. Phillips goes down anticipating the low shot from Peterson.


                  The pucks bounces off Watson's shin pad almost directly back onto the blade of the Peterson's stick (puck can be seen just to the left of Peterson's left skate).


                  Jamie begins to push to his left in an attempt to reposition, but in a split second, with the shooting angle now changed, the puck is off Peterson's stick again and already in the back of the net.


                  Another split second later, Tech's season is over, leaving Jamie momentarily alone with his thoughts and the puck.

                  This last photo is by Eric Hylden/Grand Forks Herald, but I felt it was the best one I saw from the end of the game. You can see in the players' body language that they were not satisfied with just taking part in that game. There were higher goals in their minds...



                  This year's team raised the bar substantially, but it is time to look forward... 2015-16 season here come the Huskies!

                  Go Tech!
                  Ryan J
                  Thanks for the photos now and all season long Ryan! Great sequence there to actually view in still shots.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                    Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    It is a series that I think both want, especially with the short travel time, and Tech re-finding success.
                    Absoluetly.
                    tUMD Hockey

                    "And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                      One of the things I liked the most from this year was, during the TV broadcast in Fargo when the Commentator says, " This is classic Mel Pearson Hockey" while Tech was skating past them repeatedly. I love the style, and I think it is so much fun to watch. I can only imagine how much fun it is to play. Here's to the future!
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                      It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                        Our very own Mel Pearson has been selected as CHN's Coach of the Year.
                        http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...201503316xkvpy

                        That was some of the best hockey I've seen, right up to the part where we got knocked out of the NCAA tourney...

                        $1 to manurespreader for reminding me of that classic line.

                        Ryan J

                        PS - Not that it matters, but can someone at Tech Athletics send out a new "action" shot of Mel behind the bench so all the media outlets can stop using one from his days at Michigan? It's his fourth year at Tech already...
                        Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 03-31-2015, 12:17 PM.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                          Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Just saw that MTU retweeted Mel Pearson... Mel tweeted a photo of Tony O and Tanner Kero in Chicago. Together.

                          Whatever good will your team was gaining from me during this season will immediately be reduced back to zero if Kero signs with the Blackhawks/Icehogs. Ugh.
                          You must really hate a guy like me being a Tech and Blackhawks fan haha. I would love for Tanner to join the Hawks organization!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                            Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                            Our very own Mel Pearson has been selected as CHN's Coach of the Year.
                            http://michigantechhuskies.com/sport...201503316xkvpy

                            That was some of the best hockey I've seen, right up to the part where we got knocked out of the NCAA tourney...

                            $1 to manurespreader for reminding me of that classic line.

                            Ryan J

                            PS - Not that it matters, but can someone at Tech Athletics send out a new "action" shot of Mel behind the bench so all the media outlets can stop using one from his days at Michigan? It's his fourth year at Tech already...
                            You don't have one to provide them?
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                            Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Michigan Tech 2015 off-season I: Building on what we've learned...

                              Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              You don't have one to provide them?
                              Yes, I do, but I had a hockey jersey on when I took it, so I can't use it.

                              Ryan J
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X