Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Frozen Four

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    I don't know about other conferences but both the Beanpot and Hockey East, and the first night of regionals are two-game/one ticket/no re-entry type of tournaments. Why do people act like this is something that is only happening at the Frozen Four and that this is so new? When I first started going to the then-Final Four, it was a two-game/one ticket situation.
    I think 2006 in Milwaukee was the last 2 ticket Thursday, I know in Buffalo there was 2 and remember the place we ate at in 2003, I do think we ate out in Boston after that, I am sure some of the regular NCAA followers will add to this
    Last edited by satyking; 04-19-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by satyking View Post
      I think 2006 in Milwaukee was the last 2 ticket Thursday, I know in Buffalo there was 2 and remember the place we ate at in 2003, I do think we ate out in Boston after that, I am sure some of the regular NCAA followers will add to this
      We already had this conversation - I posted earlier that I dig up my ticket stubs, etc. That's not what I commented on. Going to the two game/one ticket is not new. That's how it was at my first Final Four in 1990. That's how other tournaments are set up. Why are people so up in arms over it for the Frozen Four? Conference tournaments are usually two game/one ticket. The regionals are like that. People here are complaining like they've never been in a situation like this before.

Comment

We already had this conversation - I posted earlier that I dig up my ticket stubs, etc. That's not what I commented on. Going to the two game/one ticket is not new. That's how it was at my first Final Four in 1990. That's how other tournaments are set up. Why are people so up in arms over it for the Frozen Four? Conference tournaments are usually two game/one ticket. The regionals are like that. People here are complaining like they've never been in a situation like this before.
        Haven't been to a HE game for a while, but don'the they serve beer? Doesn' t help you on food, but does with beer.

Comment

We already had this conversation - I posted earlier that I dig up my ticket stubs, etc. That's not what I commented on. Going to the two game/one ticket is not new. That's how it was at my first Final Four in 1990. .
          I believe you are wrong as in 2003 Buffalo we went to Chefs for dinner between game 1 & 2 with a separate ticket to both

Comment

I believe you are wrong as in 2003 Buffalo we went to Chefs for dinner between game 1 & 2 with a separate ticket to both
            Yup. Buffalo was my first. Morning game was around lunch. Then we had a couple hours and the 2nd semi final was near dinnertime.

I recall a function held at the baseball field during intermission too (I did not attend that)
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Re: alcohol

While i like the occasional drink, count me as someone who has no problem with them not selling beer. In fact, i'm actually in favor of it. Maybe my perspective is clouded by the small minority of obnoxious drunks but so be it. I like the fact i don't have to worry about it during the games. I am there to watch hockey. Don't see why it's so important to serve beer.
              I agree; I can enjoy a game (or 2) without beer and have no problem that it's not available during the Frozen Four. There are always some in every crowd who drink too much and annoy those within earshot with their big mouths. They're also always getting up for more and bothering everyone in their seating row (and those a couple of rows behind also who can't see when they get up). One of the things I enjoy about the FF is that everyone is there to enjoy the games, whether or not "their" team is playing. Living near Toronto, I go to Leafs games occasionally (with free tickets only...NOT a Toronto fan!) and I think the atmosphere and experience of NCAA hockey is much better and more fun.

I do think I'd like to be able to leave the rink between games, if for nothing else than to stretch my legs and walk around a bit. Trying to navigate the concourse during the break between games is extremely frustrating with bathroom/concession lines crossing the entire area and people stopping in the middle in large groups just to talk. I'd rather just sit in my seat...

Comment

Huh? How am I wrong? I never said it was 2 games/1 ticket for 2003. Did you read my post?

Comment

At the ECAC tourney in Lake Placid, beer was sold and did not seem to be an issue.
                  YALE HOCKEY
                  2013 National Champions

Comment

I have no problems with them not serving beer, but then again, I'm not 24 anymore nor a functioning alcoholic. I just don't see the need for why every event or occasion has to revolve around alcohol, and why often times, such events are used by so many only as an excuse or reason to drink. And as others have mentioned, the whole people running back and forth from their seats all game long to fetch more beer is extremely annoying.

It is possible to have a good time and enjoy yourself at something without alcohol being involved.

OK, old guy done yelling at kids to get off his lawn.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      +1, while most of us can enjoy responsibly, the small few who can't can easily ruin the experience for many. The crowds aren't the same at Bruins games as at the FF, but the number of belligerent drunks in the stands, the concourses, and in the bathrooms can make for an awful experience for those who are there to actually watch their team play their biggest games of the season.
                      None of us are advocating for belligerent drunks, but has there been a noticeable problem with alcohol being served at The Beanpot? Hockey East? Agganis?

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        None of us are advocating for belligerent drunks, but has there been a noticeable problem with alcohol being served at The Beanpot? Hockey East? Agganis?
                        Hockey East, yes. Agganis, no and the Beanpot, generally not. I think the fact that many out of town fans who get to come to the Garden once a year to see their team makes HE more of a problem. It's a special vacation-like event for them, whereas if a BU, BC, or NU make it, it's the third Garden game of the season. But I've definitely run into many belligerent drunks at the HET at the Garden over the years, mostly rooting for non-Boston teams, many of them who are probably, at best, marginally fans of those teams. The high number of students, most of whom cannot purchase beer at the Garden due to out of state ID rules makes the amount of beer consumption in the balcony very low.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

For the Final Five, we just tailgated pre-game in a parking lot. I know that's pretty foreign for the easterners (not your fault). The game is when we didn't drink. And even if the option were available, I doubt many of us would take that option. $8 for a 20 oz Budweiser? No thank you.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

yah, what ericaxe says. not everyone who drinks becomes a foolish drunk. and even in arenas and stadiums nowadays there are protocols in place to remove said individuals. i know at fenway and the garden you can text security so the reporter isn't signaled out as the snitch. if people are being obnoxious they are removed and asked to leave.
                            but again, if i'm at a game i prefer a beer and a dog or whatnot. if i'm between games i can have a beer and bs with others.

the hypocrite part comes where the club seats have booze. and the ncaa sets up a 'fan' fest that can be attended by folks without tickets and sells beer next to all those games with youn'uns.

so i fail to see the need to keep beer out of the arena during the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              The high number of students, most of whom cannot purchase beer at the Garden due to out of state ID rules makes the amount of beer consumption in the balcony very low.
                              there were many kids who either brought their own or binged beforehand. my buddy and i came across a passed out kid in the head on friday and alerted security (not to get in trouble, but to make sure he wasn't dead). couple stalls also were not usable due to puke. but again these are peeps bringing nips (which people in the final next to me were pouring into their sodas) and not getting drunk on garden beer.

Comment

I don't have an issue one way or the other about selling or not selling beer. It's kind of stupid to me that the NCAA doesn't allow it. I just think using the fact that one cannot get one while being "trapped" in an arena for two games is stupid. Also, no arena food is both delicious and inexpensive. You go to the Frozen Four to watch hockey. Great, fun, entertaining hockey. Your tradeoff is that you are in an arena with concession food. If you don't like being "trapped", well, stay home and watch on TV, cook or order in a fabulous spread of food and have a fully stocked bar. Voila!

Comment

Working...
                                X