Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Frozen Four

Originally posted by CLS View Post
    Apologize if this has already been posted, but there's a survey for FF attendees. Here's the email I got.
    Greatly appreciate the link; didn't receive the e-mail this year. Survey response sent.

Not a lot there that was exciting to me.
    Agreed. How the emcee did & What kind of feature stories should be on the video board aren't really on my radar.

One of the possibilities for future services that caught my eye was the possibility of ordering and receiving merchandise at your seat. Those lines are a pain.
    Again, agreed. I suggested one wrinkle; prepaid orders submitted prior to the tournament. Show ID, pick up your package. Gotta believe that sort of line would move very quickly.

At the same time, I'm a little concerned by idea of having merchandise delivered to the seats. Would the vendors really limit deliveries to intermissions and stoppages? I have my doubts.

I also offered a suggestion (to be ignored, I'm sure) of allowing re-entry and leaving enough time between games so that we aren't forced to eat in the venue.
    Definitely an uphill battle. If I understand it correctly, ESPN wants the short turn around time between games; the venues would rather not deal with pass-outs; and whoever is getting the food and drink $$ undoubtedly wants to keep that revenue flowing. In other words, it's the fans vs. everyone else. I'm guessing we'll continue to be on the losing end of that one.

It's a shame; I have fond memories of those between-games meals. This year we adopted the strategy of a large, late lunch. Didn't need much more than a snack at the Garden. Not ideal, but it worked OK.

Comment

USUALLY (the Final Five being one of them) tourneys allow for smokers to exit and re-enter. It's usually limited to one exit, but there's no barriers/containment area for them. Lots of people *ahem* go out for a smoke, and come back in. Might be 30 minutes later, but they come back. Ushers will stamp hands in this case (to prevent handing off a ticket).

I know in Denver 2008, we left and came back, but don't recall if that was an allowed-re-entry situation or not.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
        I'll bet you knew the officials name was Steve Piotrowski not Frank too.
        Yale has a kid with the same last name coming in next year.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
          I'll bet you knew the officials name was Steve Piotrowski not Frank too.
          Bah. Whatever. Just goes to show how much I'm obsessed with it

Comment

Re: alcohol

While i like the occasional drink, count me as someone who has no problem with them not selling beer. In fact, i'm actually in favor of it. Maybe my perspective is clouded by the small minority of obnoxious drunks but so be it. I like the fact i don't have to worry about it during the games. I am there to watch hockey. Don't see why it's so important to serve beer.

Comment

If alcohol had been available, fans would have been treated to another of the Garden's charms. They card EVERYBODY, including your great-grandmother, and I believe even some out-of-state drivers'side licenses aren't sufficient.

Another piece of trivia I noticed: the zamboni* drivers were terrible. Couldn'the drive straight to save their lives, and pretty much always left a strip that required an extra pass. Seen better driving at community rinks.

* lower case "z"; they were actually Olympias

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post

While i like the occasional drink, count me as someone who has no problem with them not selling beer. In fact, i'm actually in favor of it. Maybe my perspective is clouded by the small minority of obnoxious drunks but so be it. I like the fact i don't have to worry about it during the games. I am there to watch hockey. Don't see why it's so important to serve beer.
                agreed. cant stand drunks around kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  USUALLY (the Final Five being one of them) tourneys allow for smokers to exit and re-enter. It's usually limited to one exit, but there's no barriers/containment area for them. Lots of people *ahem* go out for a smoke, and come back in. Might be 30 minutes later, but they come back. Ushers will stamp hands in this case (to prevent handing off a ticket).
                  I'm not a smoker, so maybe I missed that loophole. But speaking only of Frozen Fours, I don't think there's been a pass-out option from 2010 forward. If there has, it's been a closely guarded secret, if not the subject of misinformation! Can't claim crystal clear memories of each of those years individually. But I'm pretty sure there have been annual announcements that's there's no readmission once you leave the building.

I know in Denver 2008, we left and came back, but don't recall if that was an allowed-re-entry situation or not.
                  St. Louis 2007 had electronic readmission. They scanned your ticket on your way out; they re-scanned before letting you back in. I suppose someone could hand off a ticket under that system, but at least the number of people admitted would equal the number of tickets purchased -- to say nothing of the number of the seats available. Without the scanning or hand stamping, one person could take 4 tickets outside and get 3 new people into the building.

While the "scan-outs" would seem to address the most pressing concerns, another problem is created. You're potentially creating two additional waiting lines during a timeslot as short as 50 minutes. Since outside food won't be allowed back into the building, most of the appealing outside options are eliminated. Well, unless you're willing to miss the early minutes of the second game.

Ultimately, the solution would be to return to two separate semi-final tickets, and clear the building after the first game. But for all the reasons already mentioned, I don't see this one going the fans' way.

Comment

The real problem I see is the NCAA pushes the number of fans it brings to a city when it comes to bidding and then confines all these fans, who would spend for food, drinks etc, to the venue itself denying the merchants of the city a shot at their dollars.......very self serving as I am sure the NCAA get a piece of the concession sales in one form or another

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

+1, while most of us can enjoy responsibly, the small few who can't can easily ruin the experience for many. The crowds aren't the same at Bruins games as at the FF, but the number of belligerent drunks in the stands, the concourses, and in the bathrooms can make for an awful experience for those who are there to actually watch their team play their biggest games of the season.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                        ......very self serving as I am sure the NCAA get a piece of the concession sales in one form or another
                        Don't know how the accounting works. But big picture, I'd imagine the concessions are a meaningful part of the overall "pie." If the size of the pie is reduced, then the parties have to figure out how to raise alternative revenue or decide who accepts a smaller payout. The former would be a challenge; the Frozen Four fanbase is already being charged pretty much what the market will bear. But the latter is even less palatable. Once a revenue source is established, addiction to those $$ comes pretty quickly. So the status quo will most likely continue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

I did this in st paul.
                          Went out for "a smoke" and grabbed a beer across the street.
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

This year the smoker option was not available because of the arena being on top of North station. There was no direct exit to street level from the arena proper. I believe St. Louis was the last time there was actually time to grab a bite or a drink and get back to the arena. The time between games was shortened the next year in Denver. We have been held captive ever since. If their intent is to keep me in the building to spend more money, their plan is not working on me.
                            Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                            I'm not a smoker, so maybe I missed that loophole. But speaking only of Frozen Fours, I don't think there's been a pass-out option from 2010 forward. If there has, it's been a closely guarded secret, if not the subject of misinformation! Can't claim crystal clear memories of each of those years individually. But I'm pretty sure there have been annual announcements that's there's no readmission once you leave the building.

St. Louis 2007 had electronic readmission. They scanned your ticket on your way out; they re-scanned before letting you back in. I suppose someone could hand off a ticket under that system, but at least the number of people admitted would equal the number of tickets purchased -- to say nothing of the number of the seats available. Without the scanning or hand stamping, one person could take 4 tickets outside and get 3 new people into the building.

While the "scan-outs" would seem to address the most pressing concerns, another problem is created. You're potentially creating two additional waiting lines during a timeslot as short as 50 minutes. Since outside food won't be allowed back into the building, most of the appealing outside options are eliminated. Well, unless you're willing to miss the early minutes of the second game.

Ultimately, the solution would be to return to two separate semi-final tickets, and clear the building after the first game. But for all the reasons already mentioned, I don't see this one going the fans' way.

Comment

I don't know about other conferences but both the Beanpot and Hockey East, and the first night of regionals are two-game/one ticket/no re-entry type of tournaments. Why do people act like this is something that is only happening at the Frozen Four and that this is so new? When I first started going to the then-Final Four, it was a two-game/one ticket situation.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Agreed, no problem with a drink or 2, most folks seem to go overboard at a sporting event so I have no issue with no alcohol served in inside
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X