The Frozen Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Frozen Four

Had a g.reat time at my 3rd FF in Boston. But the TD garden is hardly a new arena. It was already open in 1998. I must say that it's not my favorite arena because of the narrow seats and little leg room.
    Originally posted by FireKnight View Post
    Boston did very little that I saw to promote the event. Every other FF city I've been to has made it an event in and around the arena. It wasn't bad but it ranked as the least satisfying FF that I've been to, other than the games.

The Garden itself ... why do you close concessions for a sold out game? Besides that, you have a brand new arena. There's no excuse for the garbage concessions that were available. Cold hot dogs, fries cooked beyond the point of being edible, and $6 sodas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post
      Had a g.reat time at my 3rd FF in Boston. But the TD garden is hardly a new arena. It was already open in 1998. I must say that it's not my favorite arena because of the narrow seats and little leg room.
      Guess you need to go to Fenway to see narrow seats and little leg room! The Garden is immaculate when compared to Fenway!
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
        The "backstory" on that is that it was built on the same footprint as the old Boston Garden. The old garden was still standing and the walls were something like 10 inches apart before they tore down the old garden. Unless they had put it in the suburbs, there was no other option. The concourses are not particularly wide, either, and that's for the same reason. Boston is a hardscrabble town. You have to remember that we were going to games where there were no video boards, sound systems, in-game entertainment, etc. There was just the game and John Kiley playing the organ. You didn't get up every five seconds to get food. You were there to WATCH THE GAME. We have gotten so spoiled it's ridiculous. People want every amenity they have in their home. Fine. You know what, then? Stay home. Boston has never been that way. Someone said they didn't "promote it?" Well, it sold out for two nights. What type of "promotion" were you looking for. This isn't a one-horse town. I bet if you walked around and asked 100 people if they knew that the Frozen Four was in town this weekend, at least 70 would have said "What????" I'm not condescending to other places...it's just the way it is here. There are a million things going on at any one time all the time. The FF is not the "Big Cheese" when it's in town like it is in other places. I'm sure in Cincinnati or Milwaukee or Tampa it gets promoted more. Fine. It's not like that here, and never will be. And for those who aren't aware, college sports takes a BIG back seat to pro sports in this town. I guarantee more people were excited about the Red Sox home opener (today) than even knew about the Frozen Four. The people here who care know about it. The people who care about the opera or the theatre or the museums or the research institutions or the cancer centers or the concerts or the circus know about those events too. It's a diverse city with diverse events that has an international flavor and appeal. There's more to life than the Frozen Four. It is what it is. If you want it to be like it is in Tampa or Anaheim, then I suggest you go when it's in those places. It ain't gonna be that way in Boston.
        Last edited by chickod; 04-13-2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Hey, take it easy. I love coming to Boston and I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. I don't expect people to treat me special because I'm in town for some hockey games. I just meant that there are arenas I've been in over the years that were more comfortable and had more leg room. When you're in an arena for almost 8 hours, this is something you notice, especially at my age. We had a great time there, just as we did the other times we've been there.

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
            The "backstory" on that is that it was built on the same footprint as the old Boston Garden. The old garden was still standing and the walls were something like 10 inches apart before they tore down the old garden. Unless they had put it in the suburbs, there was no other option. The concourses are not particularly wide, either, and that's for the same reason. Boston is a hardscrabble town. You have to remember that we were going to games where there were no video boards, sound systems, in-game entertainment, etc. There was just the game and John Kiley playing the organ. You didn't get up every five seconds to get food. You were there to WATCH THE GAME. We have gotten so spoiled it's ridiculous. People want every amenity they have in their home. Fine. You know what, then? Stay home. Boston has never been that way. Someone said they didn't "promote it?" Well, it sold out for two nights. What type of "promotion" were you looking for. This isn't a one-horse town. I bet if you walked around and asked 100 people if they knew that the Frozen Four was in town this weekend, at least 70 would have said "What????" I'm not condescending to other places...it's just the way it is here. There are a million things going on at any one time all the time. The FF is not the "Big Cheese" when it's in town like it is in other places. I'm sure in Cincinnati or Milwaukee or Tampa it gets promoted more. Fine. It's not like that here, and never will be. And for those who aren't aware, college sports takes a BIG back seat to pro sports in this town. I guarantee more people were excited about the Red Sox home opener (today) than even knew about the Frozen Four. The people here who care know about it. The people who care about the opera or the theatre or the museums or the research institutions or the cancer centers or the concerts or the circus know about those events too. It's a diverse city with diverse events that has an international flavor and appeal. There's more to life than the Frozen Four. It is what it is. If you want it to be like it is in Tampa or Anaheim, then I suggest you go when it's in those places. It ain't gonna be that way in Boston.
            Wow, butthurt much? Hosting this event should be about creating an EVENT for the city. If Boston doesn't want to do that like other cities, have maybe they shouldn't host it...which is probably why its been so long since the last time they hosted it.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
              only issue i had was the upper level concessions at the jacobs arena having being half staffed. embarrassing to see the lines waiting for wieners and popcorn. good god are the jacobs cheap
              I just posted about that on the other thread, glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed it. That was terrible, and it made navigating the balcony difficult because the lines were EVERYWHERE.

Also would've like to see them use the Fan Zones downstairs for the merchandise instead of closing them up. That would've improved traffic flow in the arena too.

Seems like the Garden did what it could to make sure it's a long wait before the next Frozen Four.

Comment

I am a Bostonian who goes to the frozen four every year. Yes Boston is a good host city with lots to do but at a high cost
                the garden however is the worst venue for holding the event. Every year we go to an arena that has more amenities, better sight lines and is managed better than the garden
                When the garden was built they said it would be very steep which it is not. The concourses can't handle the traffic between games and it is hard to believe that the concessions weren't adequate since it is Jacobs main business.
                I had Bruins seats for 38 years and only lasted in new arena one year

Looking forward to Tampa-they did a great job in 2012

Comment

... I'm not condescending to other places...
                  Yes you are, and there's no reason for the defensiveness. With perhaps the sole exception of Minneapolis-St. Paul (or Grand Forks, if they ever had it there), the FF is not the "Big Cheese" anywhere. There are many other fine cities that have a lot going on, and even have a theater or a museum or two, and aren't "one-horse towns". And even if what you say is true, there's no good reason why the TD Garden is not managed as well as other similar venues.

I agree with you on the promotion. When I go to a FF, I couldn't care less if there are banners on the street or if the bartender doesn't know why I'm wearing a hat with a lot of pins on it. But if someone else feels differently, I don't think that they deserve scorn. You know, if someone has a different opinion than you or values different things, it doesn't mean they're wrong.

Comment

I will say one disappointing aspect we encountered was the alcohol distribution over at Fanfest. The mobile bar was oddly-shaped and hard to get over to a bartender (busy + going around these massive semicircles that kept you away from the bar and served no purpose that I could see), you waited there for a while only to find out when it was your turn to order that you needed a wristband. Only after we roamed around did we find a small little foldup table with no high signage to see from afar that it was where you got a wristband. Total clusterf.

Fanfest overall was seemingly lame. Didn't have the feel of the fanfest in Tampa or Philly.

Note for those of you that did go in, you were standing in the spot of the old Boston Garden.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by CLS View Post
                      But if someone else feels differently, I don't think that they deserve scorn. You know, if someone has a different opinion than you or values different things, it doesn't mean they're wrong.
                      Sorry, that's not what I meant to convey. What I'm saying is that in BOSTON, they DON'T CARE if you like it or not. They're not going to go out of their way to accommodate you. They don't even accommodate US (the people who live here). It's the most corrupt city in the country, full of political hacks and lifelong "absentee" employees. My point was that if you expect to receive the same level of consideration that you get in other places, you are going to be disappointed. Did I like the fact that the half the concession stands on the upper levels were closed? No. Do THEY care? No. It's not one of our endearing qualities. The expression "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" was never more apropos than in Boston.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        I'd add that it was odd that the seafood stand was sold out of pretty much everything early on Thursday. Was it that hard to grasp that out-of-town visitors might be interested in the more unique concessions? That said, I was later advised by a local that the seafood items were usually of poor quality. In other words, the seafood sellout may have been a blessing in disguise.
                        I'm not surprised to read the seafood stand was sold out. It may have been the best food value inside the Garden - $15 for a double cheeseburger vs. $16 for a lobster roll.

The Garden has the worst food of any arena I've been...and it's not close. I wish we could get our freedom back to leave the arena between games on FF Thursday.
                        "If you're waiting for hell to freeze over, you're skating on thin ice."

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          b1g
                          Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                          It was nice of the NCAA to find a way to include the conference in the Frozen Four.
                          Don't mean to bring up too many old points (unless it was to remind posters of their pre-game chest pumping that turned out so very wrong)...

But about this- yes our conference sucked bad this year- but I also noticed some games where the refs let the game get a little out of hand- where the two teams would end up pretty chippy. Which I don't like much- since it could have been prevented by making the correct first penalty call.

So for previous BU/PC games- was it this chippy before? If not, then on behalf of the crappy B14G refs, sorry about that.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyquest View Post
                            The Garden has the worst food of any arena I've been...and it's not close. I wish we could get our freedom back to leave the arena between games on FF Thursday.
                            The BEST food I have ever had at a sports venue was at the old County Stadium in Milwaukee. Brats, roast beef sandwiches...mmmmm...delicious!

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                              Don't mean to bring up too many old points (unless it was to remind posters of their pre-game chest pumping that turned out so very wrong)...

But about this- yes our conference sucked bad this year- but I also noticed some games where the refs let the game get a little out of hand- where the two teams would end up pretty chippy. Which I don't like much- since it could have been prevented by making the correct first penalty call.

So for previous BU/PC games- was it this chippy before? If not, then on behalf of the crappy B14G refs, sorry about that.
                              That was far from chippy...that was mild for two hockey east teams
                              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyquest View Post
                                I'm not surprised to read the seafood stand was sold out. It may have been the best food value inside the Garden - $15 for a double cheeseburger vs. $16 for a lobster roll.

I just left feedback online, on the NCAA feedback regarding the food experience at the Frozen Four.
                                NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Working...
                                X