Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Coaches who've won National Championship(s) as players ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Head Coaches who've won National Championship(s) as players ...

Originally posted by westscout View Post
    Dean Blais was not a player on those two title teams at Minnesota...he was a senior in 71 when they lost in the finals!
    Senior in '73 I think. http://www.gopherhockeyhistory.com/p...l.asp?plID=112
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
      Red did not win as a player at Michigan. DU won in 1960 and 1961 and Michigan Tech won in 1962, the three years he played at Michigan.
      He was on the winning side in the Revolutionary War though, yes? I'm sure he has a ring for that.

r

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
        Red did not win as a player at Michigan. DU won in 1960 and 1961 and Michigan Tech won in 1962, the three years he played at Michigan.
        didn't Red & UMich get awarded those titles when DU had to vacate for dressing professional canadians??!?!
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Dean Blais was not a player on those two title teams at Minnesota...he was a senior in '71 when they lost in the finals!
          Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          Hmmm ... I'd based my earlier inclusion of Blais having won two titles as a player with Minnesota on info. provided on the USCHO UNO page, which notes that the Mavericks Head Coach is "Dean Blais (Minnesota '77)" ... Perhaps that's in error (or did he leave school after his senior season, only to return to officially graduate 4 years later?), as I'd tend to believe a Gopher-based source over that of USCHO. If gopherhockeyhistory.com doesn't place him on either of those title teams, I guess that leaves us with just six current DivI Head Coaches with a NC-pedigree as a player ...

Comment

On the D-III side there's Tim Coghlin who won as a player with Wisconsin-Stevens Point and as a coach with St. Norbert.

Bill Beaney (Middlebury) and Mike McShane (Norwich) have won multiple titles as coaches, but, unfortunately, they played at UNH.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
              He was on the winning side in the Revolutionary War though, yes? I'm sure he has a ring for that.

r

he was a Canadian for the Revolutionary war, but on the American side for 1812.
              XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
              Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                Isn't anyone going to mention Kevin Sneddon?
                Well he certainly won't win one as a coach...so best to relive his glory days.

Comment

Buddy Powers (former HC at RIT, Rensselaer and Bowling Green) was a player on Boston U 1972 NC team.
                  Was also Jerry York's asst on BG's 1984, and an asst at BU in 2009.
                  Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                    Hmmm ... I'd based my earlier inclusion of Blais having won two titles as a player with Minnesota on info. provided on the USCHO UNO page, which notes that the Mavericks Head Coach is "Dean Blais (Minnesota '77)" ... Perhaps that's in error (or did he leave school after his senior season, only to return to officially graduate 4 years later?), as I'd tend to believe a Gopher-based source over that of USCHO. If gopherhockeyhistory.com doesn't place him on either of those title teams, I guess that leaves us with just six current DivI Head Coaches with a NC-pedigree as a player ...
                    His Bio on the UNO site states he graduated from Minnesota in 1973 and played for the Gophers from 1969-73.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
                      Buddy Powers (former HC at RIT, Rensselaer and Bowling Green) was a player on Boston U 1972 NC team.
                      Was also Jerry York's asst on BG's 1984, and an asst at BU in 2009.
                      Sorry, Buddy Powers wasn't at BU in 2008-09. He became an AC at BU in 2009-10 following David Quinn's departure.
                      if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Are there any DivII or DivIII Head Coaches who won titles as DivI players?
                        Thanks to a shy reader of this thread who'd rather not post himself, I can now at least partially answer my own question: Tom Carroll (Wisconsin '84) just completed his 13th season as Head Coach of DivIII New England College, and won two DivI National Championships as a player with the Badgers in 1981 and 1983. And George Roll (Bowling Green '86), current Head Coach of the DivIII Nazareth College Golden Flyers, was a teammate of Wayne Wilson on BGSU's 1984 title-winning team. Prior coaching stints include 7 years as Head Coach of DivIII Oswego, followed by 8 years as Head Coach at Clarkson before assuming the reins for Nazareth's inaugural hockey season in 2012. Since Sean P. has now confirmed (via UNO's own website) that Dean Blais played at Minnesota prior to their two, mid-1970s title-winning seasons, I guess that leaves Tom Carroll as the leader in the clubhouse amongst NC-winning head coaches. Go Pilgrims!

Comment

How about UVMs Kevin Sneddon?

Comment

Thanks to a shy reader of this thread who'd rather not post himself, I can now at least partially answer my own question: Tom Carroll (Wisconsin '84) just completed his 13th season as Head Coach of DivIII New England College, and won two DivI National Championships as a player with the Badgers in 1981 and 1983. And George Roll (Bowling Green '86), current Head Coach of the DivIII Nazareth College Golden Flyers, was a teammate of Wayne Wilson on BGSU's 1984 title-winning team. Prior coaching stints include 7 years as Head Coach of DivIII Oswego, followed by 8 years as Head Coach at Clarkson before assuming the reins for Nazareth's inaugural hockey season in 2012. Since Sean P. has now confirmed (via UNO's own website) that Dean Blais played at Minnesota prior to their two, mid-1970s title-winning seasons, I guess that leaves Tom Carroll as the leader in the clubhouse amongst NC-winning head coaches. Go Pilgrims!
                            Add to that list Salem State's Bill O'Neill who was a defenseman on BU's 1978 title team.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              How about UVMs Kevin Sneddon?
                              Didn't he win one at Harvard?
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

In addition to Kevin Sneddon, who I think you guys missed, Mark Johnson won with Wisconsin in 1977.

Comment

Working...
                                X