Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College: 2015-2016

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    It's a shame in hockey you cannot move players around to play multiple positions. I always thought that Roy would have made a decent defenseman and he had the size at 6'3" and seemed to enjoy hitting people. At forward, he never scored a goal in his 4 years.
    How anyone could think this is beyond me. He had zero hockey sense, and was nearly unable to move on the ice, let alone make contact with another player.

Is Novak still coming? He's not listed on Heisenberg's site anymore and has put up really poor numbers in a low tier league. I haven't heard that he isn't coming, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
      How anyone could think this is beyond me. He had zero hockey sense and was nearly unable to move on the ice, let alone make contact with another player. Is Novak still coming? He's not listed on Heisenberg's site anymore and has put up really poor numbers in a low tier league. I haven't heard that he isn't coming, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't.
      You are right, he is not showing up on Heisenberg.
      https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1519342595

I am showing him on the College Hockey Inc. site.
      http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/commitments.php
      Union College 2016-17 NOVAK, Wade RW North Jersey Avalanche 18U (AYHL18) 10/15/13

OK, so what do you think our chances are next year? What do you like and what don't you like?
      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

You are right, he is not showing up on Heisenberg.
        https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1519342595

I am showing him on the College Hockey Inc. site.
        http://collegehockeyinc.com/stats/commitments.php
        Union College 2016-17 NOVAK, Wade RW North Jersey Avalanche 18U (AYHL18) 10/15/13

OK, so what do you think our chances are next year? What do you like and what don't you like?
        I don't think it will be worse than last year. They're losing essentially nothing. It's tough to talk about the recruits without having seen much of them, but it looks like a decent class.

I like Newhouse and Kolias, but I worry about having the steady middle pairing guys we had a few years ago in Stuart and others. I'm not at all worried about the size we have on D. We've proven that we can't recruit quality players with size regularly. If they're big, and they're good, they just aren't coming to Union, unfortunately. Connor Light is huge, but almost every time he's on the ice it's a disaster. We need to recruit undersized guys with skill that have been overlooked by bigger programs to succeed, and I think the two guys coming in have a chance to do some things right away.

Up front, I'm very happy Vecchione is coming back. I have no doubt he'll be much better next year. Foo is relentless, and was clearly our best player last year. I expect big things from him next year. Hopefully Brown, Rinaldi, and Burton, can keep Hynes and Ammirato out of the lineup. Harrison is a bit of an unknown. Looked like a great pickup when we got him, but he had a bad year, so it's tough to know if he's anything. Losing Wilkins is addition by subtraction. I've never been more embarrassed by a Union player. I'd love to see Walker get the chance to play on a scoring line next year with some regularity. That's what he was brought here for, and I don't know why Rick has a very young kid toiling away on a checking line his first year instead of putting him in a position to succeed.

Goaltending is a huge problem, IMO. I know Sak had good numbers this year, but he's one of the least athletic goalies I've seen, and doesn't have great in game awareness. I've never seen a goalie fall into their own net as much as he does. How he had a save percentage as high as he did last year is a mystery to me, and I expect him to regress. You hope Kupsky can turn into something, but based on what I saw last year, I'm not left excited by anything about him. Young is really a question mark, but if he's not outplaying Kupsky in practice, it doesn't bode well.

Comment

I was following the Denver vs Ferris State game and I was very surprised to see how small the Denver's starters were both in height and weight and especially on "D". I didn't keep the starting lineup and cannot find a copy. Maybe there is hope for us. We will have to toughen up our small "D". Would love to see Light develop some offensive capability. I also looked at some of the "Dutchmen" highlight videos for 2010 and 2011. We were smallish but we were very very tought on "D". I think you could play a certain way then and not get called.
          LOL, this is why nobody has hired me as a D-1 coach.. Looking at their roster the d-men you saw were all less than 180lbs and 4 were 5-10 or shorter, including one a whopping 5-7, 155. The game has certainly changed a bit in the past 10-years when having one or MAYBE two small defensemen was seen as going way out on a limb. Also think that U's success a couple years ago with a smaller more mobile D corps helped change some minds too. Hopefully the coaches can find some good ones, as it certainly seems to be the main mold they are recruiting from.
          UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

I don't think it will be worse than last year. They're losing essentially nothing. It's tough to talk about the recruits without having seen much of them, but it looks like a decent class.

I like Newhouse and Kolias, but I worry about having the steady middle pairing guys we had a few years ago in Stuart and others. I'm not at all worried about the size we have on D. We've proven that we can't recruit quality players with size regularly. If they're big, and they're good, they just aren't coming to Union, unfortunately. Connor Light is huge, but almost every time he's on the ice it's a disaster. We need to recruit undersized guys with skill that have been overlooked by bigger programs to succeed, and I think the two guys coming in have a chance to do some things right away.

Up front, I'm very happy Vecchione is coming back. I have no doubt he'll be much better next year. Foo is relentless, and was clearly our best player last year. I expect big things from him next year. Hopefully Brown, Rinaldi, and Burton, can keep Hynes and Ammirato out of the lineup. Harrison is a bit of an unknown. Looked like a great pickup when we got him, but he had a bad year, so it's tough to know if he's anything. Losing Wilkins is addition by subtraction. I've never been more embarrassed by a Union player. I'd love to see Walker get the chance to play on a scoring line next year with some regularity. That's what he was brought here for, and I don't know why Rick has a very young kid toiling away on a checking line his first year instead of putting him in a position to succeed.

Goaltending is a huge problem, IMO. I know Sak had good numbers this year, but he's one of the least athletic goalies I've seen, and doesn't have great in game awareness. I've never seen a goalie fall into their own net as much as he does. How he had a save percentage as high as he did last year is a mystery to me, and I expect him to regress. You hope Kupsky can turn into something, but based on what I saw last year, I'm not left excited by anything about him. Young is really a question mark, but if he's not outplaying Kupsky in practice, it doesn't bode well.
            Sak finished well, and his save percentage would have been still higher without (inexperienced) breakdowns in front of him. He doesn't lack athleticism or "in game awareness". He will not regress.
            Kupsky showed the skills the San Jose Sharks saw when they drafted him, but he is raw. He has a chance to be very good.
            Light is athletic and can really skate. He's a pro prospect according to the NHL guys.
            Wilkins was a captain and he received a nice pro contract. Rick Bennett and the Flames aren't embarrassed.
            Hynes is a high-character guy who has a role and adds to the team. Ask Bennett.
            While the graduating class is not a strong hockey class, it's made up of impressive young men - and National Champions - and if you met each of them over the last four years, you would not say Union is "losing essentially nothing".
            Last edited by Vaportrail; 04-04-2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
              Wilkins was a captain
              Wilkins was my favorite player last year. He played tough, gritty defense and was a throwback to the days when we were a "defense first" team. It was clear from his play that he put the team first. IMO the college game has changed and what was an acceptable hit or forecheck 5 years ago, is now being called for something. IMO that is too bad and is taking away from the college game. That was also going to make his style of play more problematic. His offensive production picked up down the stretch. The Flames are lucky to have him. I think he will do well in the pro's.
              Last edited by Dutchman; 04-05-2016, 08:39 AM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Sak finished well, and his save percentage would have been still higher without (inexperienced) breakdowns in front of him. He doesn't lack athleticism or "in game awareness". He will not regress.
                Kupsky showed the skills the San Jose Sharks saw when they drafted him, but he is raw. He has a chance to be very good.
                Light is athletic and can really skate. He's a pro prospect according to the NHL guys.
                Wilkins was a captain and he received a nice pro contract. Rick Bennett and the Flames aren't embarrassed.
                While the graduating class is not a strong hockey class, it's made up of impressive young men - and National Champions - and if you met each of them over the last four years, you would not say Union is "losing essentially nothing".
                Thank you for the nuanced response of absolutes that you back up using absolutely nothing. If you think Sak doesn't lack athleticism in net, you're the first one I've heard with that opinion.

If Light ever makes the NHL, I will buy you tickets to every single one of his games.

Wilkins received a nice pro contract? Seriously, what are you talking about? He got an ATO from an ECHL team, played 2 games, and was promptly released. So, yeah, the Flames aren't embarrassed because they're not even associated with him. So, Dutch, when you say the flames are lucky to have him, they aren't because they don't. If you want to talk about Wilkins as a player, we can do that. I've never seen a dirtier player at Union who abandoned any sense of responsibility both to his team and to the sport in pursuit of late, dirty hits. In fact he had more penalty minutes than any other player in the ECAC this year, which ay help explain why we were so undisciplined this year and had more PIMs than all but two other teams in the league. Not a good look when your most reckless player gets a C.

Did I question Hynes' character? Holy straw man.

Union is losing 2 regulars from last year who are incredibly replaceable. Gingras regressed last year (or, as you might say, didn't) and had injury issues. Wilkins, well, we know about him now. You can say we lose a number of impressive young men every year, and that may be true, but to say they aren't replaceable by kids coming and and other underclassmen is just silly.

Also, thanks for brushing over anything positive I said and jumping to refute anything negative I said with your prison-shank weak points. Your inability to say anything critical about the team is sad.

Comment

Speaking about former U players, I have now seen Max Novack play several games for the Albany Devils. I always thought he was a very good D1 player. His play now is even better. He has been playing on Albany's top line along with Matt Lorito from Brown and Brian O'Neill from Yale, the all-ECAC line. It is a very strong line.

Comment

I agree about Sak. He came on very strong at the end of the year and had an outstanding game against Cornell and keep us close in the first round. Even the Cornell Coach was singing his praise. In looking back all of our 5* goaltenders had rough starts their freshmen year but developed into league leading goalies by the time they graduated. You have to give the coaching staff credit for developing talent and not giving up on people.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

One more time - Next Year ..... starting with returning players

1 Foo - Vecchione - Supinski
                      2 Walker - Scarfo - Maier
                      3 Dufour - Litchenwald - Vidmar
                      4 Ammirato - Taylor - Pontarelli

5 Hynes

1 Bassard - Light
                      2 Cambell - Taylor
                      3 Krug - DeSimone

Sak
                      Kupsky
                      Young

--------------------------------------------
                      Freshmen -

Brown - F
                      Rinaldi - F
                      Burton - F
                      Harrison - F
                      Newhouse - D
                      Vas Kulias - D

On paper, this is a stronger team than last year. I am amazed we went through last year with so few injuries. This feels like we are adding speed and strength at forward. The six returning defensemen still need to step up. I would put us at better than .500 and the high middle of the league. As we have seen virtually ever year, it's anyone's guess which ECAC teams exceed and which disappoint. I guess we will go as far as SAK and the blue liners will carry us.
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

On This Day: Union Hockey Captures Title
                        By Brady Farkas April 12, 2016 8:05 AM
                        http://1045theteam.com/on-this-day-u...aptures-title/

Two years ago today, one of the greatest feats in Capital Region sports history was accomplished as the Union men’s hockey team captured its first national championship with a 7-4 victory over Minnesota in Philadelphia, Penn.
                        Union College vs University of Minnesota, 2014 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey National Championship
                        Union Hockey takes on Minnesota in the 2013-14 national championship. (Sports Illustrated/Getty Images)
                        Union got down 1-0 in the game before star Shayne Gostisbehere tied the game. It’s ironic that the game was in Philadelphia and Gostisbehere now stars in Philly as a member of the Flyers of the NHL.
                        Union also got down 2-1 before coming back to take a 4-2 lead on three unanswered markers by Mike Vecchione, Eli Lichtenwald and Daniel Ciampini. Max Novak, Kevin Sullivan and Mat Bodie also scored in the championship win. The win ended the Dutchmen’s season at 32-6-4. Union finished this season at 13-14-9. You can’t expect a program like Union, that has high academic standards and doesn’t give scholarships, to contend for a championship every single year. Be grateful that we got to witness the championship and that NHL players were on campus in Schenectady.

Read More: On This Day: Union Hockey Captures Title | http://1045theteam.com/on-this-day-u...ckback=tsmclip
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Union's Vecchione, Wilkins each win two team awards
                          By Ken Schott Thursday, April 14, 2016
                          Junior center Mike Vecchione and senior left winger Matt Wilkins were double winners at the Union College hockey awards banquet on Thursday at College Park Hall.

(1) Vecchione was named the team’s most valuable player. He led the Dutchmen in scoring with nine goals and 20 assists.

(2) Wilkins won the Scott Richardson Unsung Hero Award. He and Vecchione were co-winners of the Coach’s Award.

(3) Senior forward Theo Di Pauli von Treuheim won his fourth straight Thomas Van Arden Dukehart Academic Award for the highest grade-point average. Di Pauli von Treuheim, a bioengineering major, has a 3.97 GPA.

(4) Sophomore defenseman Nick DeSimone won Most Improved Player.

(5) Freshman right winger Brett Supinski was named Rookie of the Year.

(6) Senior center David Roy got the Charles N. Morrison Award, which goes to the player who participates in extracurricular activities while demonstrating academic interest and achievement.

Who was that FAO who was trashing Wilkins and Roy?
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 04-15-2016, 08:33 AM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Great shot of Union Award Winners !!!
                            http://www.unionathletics.com/news/2...m-banquet.aspx including
                            WILKINS
                            ROY
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Agreed with most of what you said...
                              Goaltending is a big unknown. Sak never make me feel warm and fuzzy... Kupsky, I'm not sure, he still plays like a "young" goaltender. Young, why not! Let's see what happens early in the season.
                              As far as the D is concerned, they're average IMO, with bad mistakes creeping in too often, and we certainly miss a strong dependable player or 2 in there, a guy who will not make mistakes with a good read of the game.
                              Offensively, we have the individual talent but the lines seem to have trouble clicking consistently. I have high hopes for Supinsky, Vidmar and Maier. They had a rough year last year so I hope they kick it up a notch this year. Seniors are big question marks in those lines...

Goaltending : see above
                              Light, Wilkins : Lots of character I agree, skill on the ice? meh...
                              Hynes : in 17 games, 23 shots on goal, 0 goals, 4 assits, 4 blocks... a bit light for a forward...
                              Let's go Union !
                              ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                              ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                              NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

The mark of a great coach:

Back in 2014 when we were facing BC in the semifinal and their great line (Johhny Gaudreau) in Philadelphia, the press was hounding Bennett. They were asking him how he hoped to stop the great Gaudreau line whose well-deserved reputation had reached "mesonic levels". Bennett's reply turned the question on its head. Bennett said that Union had faced a lot of great lines in the ECAC that year and as a result would be well prepared. Nothing special was going to be done. That communicated to the press that they should have a higher expectation of the competition in the ECAC but also communicated to the Union players that Bennett had confidence in them and they should have confidence in themselves. It also communicated expectations.

Saying just the right thing at just the right time in a pressure-packed environment like the Frozen 4 is tough. You have to think how it will be interpreted by different constituents. Bennets response was IMHO ... perfect.
                                Last edited by Dutchman; 04-24-2016, 04:12 PM.
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X