Union College: 2015-2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
    Could be... I'd wish Ben well. I wonder if they're looking for a New England coach to recruit their region? I wonder if BB was at Providence with Lehman long enough to be a credible recruiting figure in New England.
    Benny was with Leaman 3 years at Providence and had a hand in recruiting ll but 3 players on last year's national championship team. Weren't about a dozen of the players in your championship game from Leaman, which unless he's changed MO means the whole staff including Benny had a hand in getting those guys. The 2 years out West at Western Mich add an interesting element to his resume. You don't see very often coaches break that East/West divide. Might have enhanced his western recruiting ties and a school like UMass needs to expand their recruiting base. They will never beat BC and BU for the elite players

As far as Ricky goes I would think since he is available now with the cache of having a Natty he would tell UMass you want me or you don't. Can't see him letting them jerk him around. Unless you have heard something else I wouldn't be concerned yet

Then again Benny has to get a chance somewhere and with his knowledge of the school Union might be a perfect first job
    Let's Go Pirates!

Comment

• Re: Union College: 2015-2016

Originally posted by UnionFan View Post
      Isn't Bennett under contract to stay for at least several more years?
      Doesn't mean another place can't buy out his contract, like Providence did with Leaman. Bennett hasn't proved himself with his own kids yet, though; 13-14 was still very much Leaman's recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        Doesn't mean another place can't buy out his contract, like Providence did with Leaman. Bennett hasn't proved himself with his own kids yet, though; 13-14 was still very much Leaman's recruits.
        Many (if not all) of which Bennett played a big role in bringing to Union. I don't think we can indict Bennett as a coach when you lose talent like Gostisbehere, Bodie, & Ciampini (among others) over the past two years.
        Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
          Many (if not all) of which Bennett played a big role in bringing to Union. I don't think we can indict Bennett as a coach when you lose talent like Gostisbehere, Bodie, & Ciampini (among others) over the past two years.
          One thing to remember: Bennett had the responsibilities of an assistant coach under Leaman, and had pretty much the primary role of recruiting. It's a much different bear when you're running the whole shindig, as your neighbours across the Hudson found out in the mid-90's.

Lots of teams see talent advancing to the next level before the four years is up. It's the nature of what a development league is. As much as I said Bennett hasn't proved himself as a coach with his own kids, he also hasn't shown to be mediocre. There's only a few coaches out there that can show immediate excellence despite any hand that's handed to them, like Jim Montgomery at Denver. After all, look what he did with Dubuque in the USHL! The key here is what happens with these next couple years, and that will define not only Bennett as a head coach, and also his staff's recruitment abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            It's a much different bear when you're running the whole shindig, as your neighbours across the Hudson found out in the mid-90's.
            Flaggy, you are so wrong on this that it is laughable. That means Nate won a National Championship last year at Providence with a class of Tim Army's, therefore, it wasn't "his" team. I would also take the success of the mid-90's over what "the neighbors" have now!
            I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
              Flaggy, you are so wrong on this that it is laughable. That means Nate won a National Championship last year at Providence with a class of Tim Army's, therefore, it wasn't "his" team. I would also take the success of the mid-90's over what "the neighbors" have now!
              Not necessarily; Leaman may be a decent enough coach that he can play with what he's been dealt and be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Not necessarily; Leaman may be a decent enough coach that he can play with what he's been dealt and be successful.
                You have contradicted yourself with the understatement of the year!
                I've been lost since 1989. I got a breakaway on a frozen river and have been skating ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8tronthepond View Post
                  You have contradicted yourself with the understatement of the year!
                  To quote Nate Leaman: "No comment."

Comment

http://thehockeywriters.com/unions-m...senior-season/

Comment

Any world on taylor?
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                        Any world on taylor?
                        That's definitely good news about Vecks, but not really surprising. I don't thing any players will be taking this past season as a springboard to the pros. IMO Taylor really struggled at times this season.. not sure if he was dinged-up or just the result of having to play with D partners that weren't exactly his equals. He could certainly use another year in college to hone his game. He'll have to show a lot more quickness then he did this past season to get anywhere in the pros.

My bigger concern is losses from behind the bench. I'd forgotten that Rick was a Springfield boy, and the new AD at UMass is sounding a lot like the Providence AD did before they plucked Leaman (i.e. a bigger commitment to hockey). Money-wise & facilities this would be a step up the coaching ladder Union can't compete with. The downside is that the pressure to win and the competition in HE will be much higher, and having won a NC at Union won't count for anything. I'm hoping he sees that he could essentially stay at U for as long as he wants - a rarity in D-1 (it took McLaughlin forever to usher Audino out the door after years of sub-par and he couldn't pull the trigger on the women's side after a winless season).
                        Last edited by ADK11; 03-15-2016, 08:43 AM.
                        UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                          That's definitely good news about Vecks, but not really surprising. I don't thing any players will be taking this past season as a springboard to the pros. IMO Taylor really struggled at times this season.. not sure if he was dinged-up or just the result of having to play with D partners that weren't exactly his equals. He could certainly use another year in college to hone his game. He'll have to show a lot more quickness then he did this past season to get anywhere in the pros.
                          I've also heard that Taylor's parents want him to stay and get his degree, so I don't see him jumping ship early. He just hasn't been the same since 2014 - even though he hasn't been paired with Ghost since then, he's shown poor defensive coverage down low and not playing with enough physicality. Just look at the OT loss to Brown in November, where he let the Brown forward skate right around him and in for the GWG. That's the type of play where Jeff needed to force him wide and give him no chance to get near the net. Jeff's puck-carrying skills are still top-notch, but his defense (his position!) still needs work.

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                          My bigger concern is losses from behind the bench. I'd forgotten that Rick was a Springfield boy, and the new AD at UMass is sounding a lot like the Providence AD did before they plucked Leaman (i.e. a bigger commitment to hockey). Money-wise & facilities this would be a step up the coaching ladder Union can't compete with. The downside is that the pressure to win and the competition in HE will be much higher, and having won a NC at Union won't count for anything. I'm hoping he sees that he could pretty stay at U for as long as he wants - a rarity in D-1 (it McLaughlin forever to usher Audino out the door after years of sub-par and he couldn't pull the trigger on the women's side after a winless season).
                          It seemed Nate had the same deal - his success leading up to 2011 seemed to allow him to stay as long as he wanted, even though (I don't think) he ever got the long-term contract. I also wonder how much UMass or other schools may be looking at Joe Dumais.
                          Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

In looking at next year we are losing one defenseman but bringing in three

2016-2017 2017-2018 2018-2019
                            Union College 2016-17 KOLIAS, Vasili LD Youngstown Phantoms (USHL) 02/22/16
                            Union College 2016-17 NEWHOUSE, Benjamin RD Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL) 02/27/14
                            Union College 2016-17 RYAN, Michael RD Tabor Academy Seawolves (NEDI) 09/09/15

Union College 2017-18 BRIERLEY, Taylor LD Cedar Rapids RoughRiders (USHL) 02/17/16
                            Union College 2017-18 LENEAVE, Will LD Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) 02/03/16
                            Union College 2017-18 ESTES, Brandon RD Lone Star Brahmas (NAHL) 05/15/15
                            Union College 2018-19 PIRKO, Ben LD Selects Academy 16UNat at South Kent School (USP16) 04/22/15
                            Union College 2018-19 FINEMAN, Fletcher RD Omaha AAA HC 16U (NAPH16) 08/31/15

Any chance we may move up some of the 2017-2018 recruits as well?
                            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by aweise View Post
                              I've also heard that Taylor's parents want him to stay and get his degree, so I don't see him jumping ship early. He just hasn't been the same since 2014 - even though he hasn't been paired with Ghost since then, he's shown poor defensive coverage down low and not playing with enough physicality. Just look at the OT loss to Brown in November, where he let the Brown forward skate right around him and in for the GWG. That's the type of play where Jeff needed to force him wide and give him no chance to get near the net. Jeff's puck-carrying skills are still top-notch, but his defense (his position!) still needs work.

It seemed Nate had the same deal - his success leading up to 2011 seemed to allow him to stay as long as he wanted, even though (I don't think) he ever got the long-term contract. I also wonder how much UMass or other schools may be looking at Joe Dumais.
                              Agree about Taylor, though I don't think its all about being physical on D. Bodie & Ghost weren't exactly the most physical but were excellent defensively because they were so quick and could keep their bodies between the puck & the goal. Jeff really needs to do a better job of this in order to be effective. At times it looked like he was slow or hesitated with his positioning and would get burned bad. He definitely needs to be better with his defensive positioning, and a little more quickness and size wouldn't hurt.

I think it was always in the cards that Nate would leave. Just my feeling, but I think he really wanted the challenge of a tougher league, more pressure and having the use of full scholarships (not to mention more $$s). There were players he missed out at getting at Union that I think he felt he could have had with scholarships. I'm not sure that Bennett feels the same way, though wouldn't blame him if he did. Also not sure if Dumais is quite the hot commodity he was coming off the NC year, he doesn't seem to be in the rumors much so far. However this all pans out, I'm actually pretty confident that U could find a good coach if Rick leaves, though my preference is that he stays.
                              UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Taylor
                                Year Goals Assists Pts SH% +/- Penalty (Blk Shots)
                                2013-2014 3-13-16 .077 +20 09-18 (26)
                                2014-2015 4-27-31 .061 +05 14-28 (22)
                                2015-2016 2-10-12 .025 - 09 13-37 (32)

Pts way down 31-12
                                SH% way down .077 vs. .025
                                +/- way down +20 to -9
                                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Working...
                                X