Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
    I think the context of the "waiting for Oz" issue is that Eaves was (presumably) actively reviewing applications, interviewing applicants, and pursuing other applicants while Oz was still finishing out his season.

It would make sense that Eaves would not want to put the whole process on hold until Oz was in a position that they could discuss the opening. Knowing that there were either other positions open or other positions that were likely to open at other schools, it would have been somewhat foolish for Eaves to wait until Oz's season was done.

With the amount of work that Eaves had to do (and still has to do) this summer, I 100% agree that you can't put any part of any process on hold waiting for other things to fall into place. You have to work with what is available to you at that point.

Granted most of this is moot, since there has not been a hiring yet and Oz is now done with his season...but I don't want this to be colored the wrong way in the USCHO history books. Eaves couldn't officially talk to Oz when he needed to, Eaves moved on to talk to the people that he was able to talk to...I think it is as simple as that.
    At this level do you really think a guy sits at his desk in the middle of May and "reviews applications"? I get that you're a myopic apologist in general, but let's not try to come across as completely clueless, k?

And as previously asked of you, can you please define the ambiguous "majority" you used as a crutch in an earlier reply?
    I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
      At this level do you really think a guy sits at his desk in the middle of May and "reviews applications"?
      Exactly. Eaves is a Head Coach. He has his assistants do all the menial stuff like that.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

At this level do you really think a guy sits at his desk in the middle of May and "reviews applications"? I get that you're a myopic apologist in general, but let's not try to come across as completely clueless, k?
        Myopic apologist, I like that...I would prefer rational realist, but feel free to put whatever labels on me that you see fit.

I made my speculation based on the publicly available facts. You are free to agree or disagree based on whichever pieces of information you choose to use.
        We can speculate all we want about what Barry Alvarez is or isn't doing and keep rehashing his "I'm not a hockey guy" quote from years ago.
        We can speculate about what Mike Eaves does or doesn't have the ability to do as a head coach.
        Granted, some people have access to additional information through connections to current/former/future players or with adults who are in various levels of responsibility with hockey organizations across the continent and can speak with more knowledge than others can. But even Andy's inside sources give information that has probably been filtered through a couple of channels and while they may be "reliable" they are hardly infallible.
        When it comes down to the absolute truths, none of us know what happens behind the closed doors, it is all speculation and in my eyes it is all equally valid.

Perhaps not, but they're certainly more knowledgeable than the average fan that is part of this subjectively determined "majority," possibly moreso than sectors of the athletic administration itself. The department should make its judgements based on what's best for the program, and just because those believing that continuing with Eaves is not what's best for the program may be the your minority it doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong. Same as the administration isn't necessarily right for doing whatever the consensus opinion of your majority is.

Just do what's best for the program as winning (almost always) cures all, and believing Eaves needs to go for the program to attain the consistent success it should be capable of is at least as credible as any of the excuses and rationalizations that have been posted over the past six months -- and I'd suggest far more credible than this supposed majority opinion. Which is what, by the way?
        Coming back to my previous post, at your request: None of us can define who the majority of UW Hockey fans are nor can we say with any certainty what the majority of fans think/feel/want.
        We don't have access to the surveys that the US Athletics marketing people do, I'm sure they are much more capable of speaking to the attitude of the "majority" of fans than any of us are.
        It is easy to take a straw poll of the people on this board and come up with a consensus answer (FIRE EAVES! AND DO IT YESTERDAY!), but I don't think that anyone can honestly say that the people who frequent this board are your typical college hockey fans. We are the 1% of fans (actually less than that if you figure 50 regular posters out of an average attendance of 11,000 we are the .5%), the ones who go beyond the 3 hours at the game, the ones who listen to the pre- and post-game radio shows, the ones who pay attention to the weekly press conferences, the ones who watch high school kids play and wonder how they would fit into a recruiting class 5 years from now, the ones who go to an online message board and argue in the middle of summer about recruits and coaching changes.

We can all say whatever we would like to, and we can all respond however we would like to about what other people say, that is the beauty of a largely anonymous message board like this. So please feel free to continue posting whatever speculations you see fit, I will continue to do the same, and in the end we will all end up rooting for the Badgers to get #7.

Comment

At this level do you really think a guy sits at his desk in the middle of May and "reviews applications"?
          And yes, I do think that Eaves would be sitting at his desk in the middle of May reviewing applications. I think that as an employee of a public institution he is obligated to review each and every application that comes in for a posted position. Why do you think he wouldn't?

Comment

7 weeks + since the firings and 5 weeks + since the state listing ended and still no assistants. Great job coach and athletic dept! Other teams had openings later and have filled their assistant roles already.

Meanwhile, Eaves is signing guys for 2018 with roster holes for 2015.
            Last edited by WiscTJK; 06-02-2015, 12:21 PM.
            gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

North Dakota has yet to fill an assistant position to fill Berry's spot. It might be worse, as I understand Dane Jackson is contemplating going to Philly with Hakstol. So UND may have some serious assistant issues too.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                North Dakota has yet to fill an assistant position to fill Berry's spot. It might be worse, as I understand Dane Jackson is contemplating going to Philly with Hakstol. So UND may have some serious assistant issues too.
                just makes the available pool of qualified coaches even smaller.....
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

More people after the same bodies.

If I'm an assistant with HC aspirations, and I'm sure they all have them, UW would be attractive. It would be in any case.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                    More people after the same bodies.

If I'm an assistant with HC aspirations, and I'm sure they all have them, UW would be attractive. It would be in any case.
                    It might be, unless you believe that the sitting head coach's job is in jeopardy if another substandard season is had in 15-16. And, let's be fair, what reason do any of us have to think that 15-16 won't be bad?

Comment

Per sources: Luke Strand agrees to a two-year deal to be an assistant coach.
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        Per sources: Luke Strand agrees to a two-year deal to be an assistant coach.
                        By sources you mean Andy Baggot

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                          By sources you mean Andy Baggot
                          Yes sir
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS
                          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Not to jump the gun on this, but any thoughts on who Eaves/Strand will be targeting for the #2 spot?
                            Last edited by Badger Booster; 06-02-2015, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Not that anyone doubted the validity of the report, but I can confirm that Strand has been hired. Deal was wrapped up last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                Horrible stats? He was 27-24-9 and 31-23-6 in his two years in Sioux City as head coach. 24-25-11 as an expansion coach this season which exceeded expectations. As a GM in Sioux City last year he built the roster for the SC squad that won the West division with a 38-17-5 record this year.

He's one of the only qualified candidates that is dialed into the Team Wisconsin program and the state as a whole. He's extremely well liked in Wisconsin and in USHL circles. He'd be an outstanding recruiter and he's a very good coach. Experience at the junior, college, and pro levels.

I understand I'm biased here, but he checks about every box on the wish list at this point.
                                Horrible was probably a bit harsh, but at S.C. he was barely above .500 and that's all I was looking at. I don't know him or I don't know anybody who knows him, so I can't judge his character. I trust your words!

*Cowering*
                                "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Working...
                                X