Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

    Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
    Apparently there were a lot of Wisconsin fans at the Frozen Four this year. That's kind of neat, I guess.
    There are always a lot of Wisconsin fans at the Frozen Four. They seem to be FF lifers who go no matter who's in and regardless of how their team is doing at the time. It was probably good for BU, since folks wearing black seemed to outnumber folks wearing red.

    Comment


    • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

      Eaves took a full page in today's Wisconsin State Urinal (page 8 sports) to thank the fans for support. No apology, although I guess that did come last month. I don't know where to get a link for the sports pages only. It seemed sincere, but it better.

      I still will not change my opinion.
      "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

      "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

      Comment


      • Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
        Eaves took a full page in today's Wisconsin State Urinal (page 8 sports) to thank the fans for support. No apology, although I guess that did come last month. I don't know where to get a link for the sports pages only. It seemed sincere, but it better.

        I still will not change my opinion.
        Anyone have a picture?

        Comment


        • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

          Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
          Anyone have a picture?

          Comment


          • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

            Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            He should have wrote it on toilet paper so I would have some use for what he said.

            Maybe Ben Eaves should have been there on friday. I was embarrassed at how small the crowd was for the last friday of the season, especially since it wasn't spring break.
            Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
            Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
            Originally posted by UWisco
            It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

            Comment


            • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

              Dear Badger fans,

              One of the people in the stands for our last game of the season at the Kohl Center was Ben Eaves, one of my sons who played college and professional hockey. After the game, Ben came up to me and the first thing he said was how incredible it was that, even though the season was a tough one, there were still so many people in the stands to watch the game. He really couldnít believe it.

              It got me thinking that I should find another way to thank all the people who came out to the Kohl Center this season. Badgers fans have always been known as the best there are and you all proved it again this season.

              Thank you for your support.

              The two things our student-athletes talk about most when they leave the University of Wisconsin are the guys in the locker room who they spend so much time with, and playing in front of the fans at the Kohl Center. It is an experience second to none and one of the best parts of being a part of the Wisconsin hockey program.

              We also thank you for the patience youíve shown this year while we build our team into one that fits in with the unmatched tradition of Badger hockey. We struggled this year, but we know that those struggles will pay off going forward.

              We have a talented and young nucleus, including 13 first-year players who now have one year of college hockey on their resume. With the hard work the entire team continues to put in, they will be bigger, stronger and faster come October and that makes us all excited for the future.

              From upperclassmen like Grant Besse and Kevin Schulze, to underclassmen like Adam Rockwood, Cameron Hughes and Jack Dougherty, we have a great group of young men with great character who carry the torch for all those student-athletes and fans who have made Wisconsin hockey what it is.

              Thanks again for everything you do to support us on and off the ice.

              We hope to see you back at the Kohl Center next season.

              Mike Eaves
              Head coach, Wisconsin Menís Hockey

              Comment


              • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                He should have wrote it on toilet paper so I would have some use for what he said.

                Maybe Ben Eaves should have been there on friday. I was embarrassed at how small the crowd was for the last friday of the season, especially since it wasn't spring break.
                Yeah, the vibe was completely different on Saturday compared to Friday. I didn't make any explicitly critical signs on Friday, but a couple implied the need for change. (I didn't hold them up when the team was on the ice/bench - I firmly believe in supporting them, including the coaches, within the context of the game when I'm in attendance.) Friday was nothing like the excitement that was felt way back during the UND series (and a few other times throughout the year). The energy was just down.

                On Saturday, it was all about the seniors, and there were some awesome moments - so great that I keep forgetting that the Badgers were shut out! The arena wasn't full, but those who were there made it feel like a Badger hockey game, unlike the previous night.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                  He should have wrote it on toilet paper so I would have some use for what he said.

                  Maybe Ben Eaves should have been there on friday. I was embarrassed at how small the crowd was for the last friday of the season, especially since it wasn't spring break.
                  Yep. Eaves should make like a tree and...
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!


                  "but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

                  "I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

                  Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

                  Comment


                  • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                    I think there is a slightly positive way to look at this full page ad combined with the previous apology release. Eaves isn't doing this on his own. Its coming at the direction or with the assistance of the marketing/athletic department folks. I think this shows they are starting to realize there is a major problem with the fanbase and they are throwing some marketing out there to try and minimize the damage. It won't work without a better product but it COULD be a sign they are starting to see a problem.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                      Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                      I think there is a slightly positive way to look at this full page ad combined with the previous apology release. Eaves isn't doing this on his own. Its coming at the direction or with the assistance of the marketing/athletic department folks. I think this shows they are starting to realize there is a major problem with the fanbase and they are throwing some marketing out there to try and minimize the damage. It won't work without a better product but it COULD be a sign they are starting to see a problem.
                      Starting to realize? They saw the problem at the same time we did, and they went into a very obvious, full-blown freak-out mode last year. I think that there were things they could've capitalized on going into the 2013-14 season, but they were still very aware. This has been a major topic among the UW Athletics marketing folks. Various changes have been made (though I have some more ideas that I'd like to see implemented) during this time.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                        I don't recall anything before the ad and apology that had the same appearance of begging fans and season ticket holders to please not leave.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                          Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                          I don't recall anything before the ad and apology that had the same appearance of begging fans and season ticket holders to please not leave.
                          Hmmm. I wonder how much an ad in the WSJ costs. Maybe we could pool our money we saved by not renewing our hockey tickets and submit an ad of our own. I bet we could craft an ad that would really get the athletic department's attention....

                          Comment


                          • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                            Originally posted by RedStripes View Post
                            I don't recall anything before the ad and apology that had the same appearance of begging fans and season ticket holders to please not leave.
                            The pregame presentation was significantly altered last year as compared to the prior two years. This past summer, they moved the student on-sale date to two weeks after the football ticket sale, so it wasn't literally below the fold in our emails. Oh yeah, and student tickets got way cheaper. They had more discounts for regular fans in 2013-14, with a few games featuring something like 11-dollar(?) upper-reserved tickets. I didn't remember anything like that in 2011-12 or 2012-13. (Come to think of it, I don't remember that this year, despite the success of last year's promotions.) The CreaseCreatures twitter account came into existence, which was created for the sake of fan engagement. They started doing the "season ticket holder of the game" thing. There might be a few other small things I'm forgetting, but maybe not. None of those would be described as appearing to beg fans and season ticket holders to stay, but it was all those things (some large, many small) combined that were noticeable. Comparing the changes made over the last 2 years to the 2 years before, when everything was the same all the time, the changes jumped out at me.

                            Also, I know that people in the athletic department were talking about it a lot 1-2 years ago.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                              Originally posted by Scottyp View Post
                              Hmmm. I wonder how much an ad in the WSJ costs. Maybe we could pool our money we saved by not renewing our hockey tickets and submit an ad of our own. I bet we could craft an ad that would really get the athletic department's attention....
                              This could be very interesting.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                                Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                                The pregame presentation was significantly altered last year as compared to the prior two years. This past summer, they moved the student on-sale date to two weeks after the football ticket sale, so it wasn't literally below the fold in our emails. Oh yeah, and student tickets got way cheaper. They had more discounts for regular fans in 2013-14, with a few games featuring something like 11-dollar(?) upper-reserved tickets. I didn't remember anything like that in 2011-12 or 2012-13. (Come to think of it, I don't remember that this year, despite the success of last year's promotions.) The CreaseCreatures twitter account came into existence, which was created for the sake of fan engagement. They started doing the "season ticket holder of the game" thing. There might be a few other small things I'm forgetting, but maybe not. None of those would be described as appearing to beg fans and season ticket holders to stay, but it was all those things (some large, many small) combined that were noticeable. Comparing the changes made over the last 2 years to the 2 years before, when everything was the same all the time, the changes jumped out at me.

                                Also, I know that people in the athletic department were talking about it a lot 1-2 years ago.
                                Sorry. Didn't mean to suggest there haven't been changes in the last year or two. It just seems like these have a different tone.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X