Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Ship

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
    Shuchuk and Walsh are falling on the sword here. Had a pretty good feeling after Christmas this was the way it would go down...with Eaves staying on and cleaning house. After Shuey's comments in the newspaper, I had little doubt Eaves would use him as the scape goat.
    Yeah, I'll bet Shuchuk cares about wins and losses now.

    Comment


    • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

      Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      Oz and Don Granato sound like one heck of a 1 - 2 punch.
      I love this combo, but thinking a little outside box......Gwoz as associate head coach with Don Granato as the other assistant.

      How comfortable will Eaves be with Oz since he left once already and we know how Eaves feels about guys shopping themselves/leaving after the Troy Ward situation.
      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

      Comment


      • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

        Never like to see anyone lose their job, wish these guys the best in the future. I think we lose sight of the fact that these guys have mortgage and families and such while we're calling for their heads.

        Really has the feeling like Eaves threw them under the bus, when he should have been inspecting the tires right with them.

        Comment


        • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

          Oz didn't leave for a lateral job and wasn't shopping himself constantly. I don't see some of these super staff combos working....to many chiefs and not enough Indians. I think Eaves desperately needs a top end high profile lead assistant, and then a younger, hungry, up and comer, with ties to western Canada. Oz with his Minnesota and dman recruiting ties as well as dman coaching rep or Granato with his ties to USDT kids makes sense as that lead guy.

          Comment


          • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

            Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            or a former badger like AJ Degenhardt or Chris Tok?
            Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            I mean, I know them as players, not so much as coaches.

            Honestly, I'd expect either unproven assistants or potential future head coaches out of this. Depends on how much support Eaves is getting from Barry. Either good assistants will shy away from the program being in the state its in, or we're going to get someone who thinks that they see the writing on the wall with Eaves and wants the first foot in the door.

            I guess there's an outside chance that a quality assistant is interested just based on misplaced prestige (you know... almost like becoming the head football coach at Fordham right now) where he thinks he can help turn the ship around, but it's just hard to imagine that right now.
            Degenhardt is the head coach of the NAHL's Chill team in Lacrosse. A very bare bones operation from the front office side. The made the playoffs again this year, and IIRC, has three players headed to D1 next year.

            He may need some USHL time first, but could fit that second spot.
            St. Norbert College Green Knights
            NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
            NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19
            NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
            ---
            SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

            Comment


            • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

              Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
              Never like to see anyone lose their job, wish these guys the best in the future. I think we lose sight of the fact that these guys have mortgage and families and such while we're calling for their heads.

              Really has the feeling like Eaves threw them under the bus, when he should have been inspecting the tires right with them.
              I don't think anyone has lost sight that they have families and mortgages, etc, but they were also hired to complete a job and failed at completing that job. This isn't a case where the head coach was fired and the assistants were retained because they had value. Eaves should have gone with them, but again they failed at completing the job they were hired to do. If only Barry was brave enough to do the job he forced Eaves to do...
              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
              Originally posted by UWisco
              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

              Comment


              • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
                I don't think anyone has lost sight that they have families and mortgages, etc, but they were also hired to complete a job and failed at completing that job. This isn't a case where the head coach was fired and the assistants were retained because they had value. Eaves should have gone with them, but again they failed at completing the job they were hired to do. If only Barry was brave enough to do the job he forced Eaves to do...
                To be fair to Barry, as much as it probably hurts most of you to hear this, this is probably the opportunity that a championship winning coach deserves, but you have to assume the leash is short.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                Comment


                • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                  From what I know from friends the BADgers should not hire Oz as a head coach or they will run into the exact same problems OSU had. Bad idea, bad idea, bad idea.
                  Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
                  dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
                  wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

                  Comment


                  • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                    Since we're stuck with Eaves, what's his pitch to try and get the good assistants that have been suggested to actually apply? I honestly can't imagine how that phone call would go. "hey our defense, offense, power play, and penalty kill was terrible, come fix it for me because I couldn't figure it out all year?"

                    Comment


                    • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                      What was OSU's issue with Oz? His results weren't horrible and he was starting to get some good recruits. I recall something about maybe him griping about facilities, but it's all lost in the ether now.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

                      BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!


                      At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

                      Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                        Originally posted by drop_the_puck View Post
                        Since we're stuck with Eaves, what's his pitch to try and get the good assistants that have been suggested to actually apply? I honestly can't imagine how that phone call would go. "hey our defense, offense, power play, and penalty kill was terrible, come fix it for me because I couldn't figure it out all year?"
                        "Your alma mater needs you" and (I'm guessing) "we pay more than other places"
                        St. Norbert College Green Knights
                        NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                        NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19
                        NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                        ---
                        SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

                        Comment


                        • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                          Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                          What was OSU's issue with Oz? His results weren't horrible and he was starting to get some good recruits. I recall something about maybe him griping about facilities, but it's all lost in the ether now.
                          IIRC, it was Oz's issue with tOSU. I believe... He thought they were going make progress on not playing in that hoops building and getting more of a LaBahn/Pegula sized facility - and that didn't happen. Questions about priority/resources, etc. But that may be just how I remember it...
                          St. Norbert College Green Knights
                          NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 19
                          NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-19
                          NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
                          ---
                          SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

                          Comment


                          • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                            Soooo....what happens with Shuchuk's son? Does he transfer to a D3 school?

                            Comment


                            • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                              Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                              Soooo....what happens with Shuchuk's son? Does he transfer to a D3 school?
                              That's part of the master plan!

                              Alex and a few other kids from this year's freshman class decide to transfer, a few current commits decide to adjust their timing with coming to campus and BAM you get balanced classes.

                              You all got what you wanted, right? Balanced recruiting classes was the big deal that was holding us back, right?

                              Comment


                              • Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXXIII: A Fanbase Gets Smarter When All The Idiots Jump Shi

                                Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post
                                That's part of the master plan!

                                Alex and a few other kids from this year's freshman class decide to transfer, a few current commits decide to adjust their timing with coming to campus and BAM you get balanced classes.

                                You all got what you wanted, right? Balanced recruiting classes was the big deal that was holding us back, right?
                                Quality was/is.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X