Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Well, if you bought tickets ahead of time, you might want to look into getting some of your money back... They are now offering $15 General Admission tickets for both Friday and Saturday... What's even funnier is that they have the $60 "All-session" tickets still for sale at this time as well

ND Ticket Site
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

According to that hopeless shill Dave Starman, if you are not in the nacho you are losing. sigh. Is objectivity too much to ask for?
      Though in his defense he said uno would only win if Massa played, which of course he is.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by 7outof10 View Post
        the fan bus from Mankato was canceled due to not being able to get 30 people on it....that really sucks i was going to go on it and i really wish we could get some better fan support behind are hockey team.....
        It isn't support, it is the cost of the bus. Way out of line! I can get a hotel, gas and tickets for half the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
          I'm not a math guy so maybe you nerds at RIT can help me out. I'm sympathetic to your argument that there's a bootstrapping effect in the Pairwise that keeps AHA teams down (and this year appears to have elevated a couple NCHC teams), but how would you fix it? Dumb it down for me, if you could
          I'm not sure if you can fix it, the only way that comes to mind is find ways to get more OOC games, but frankly, I don't think most teams in Atlantic Hockey would even want that (some of them have a hard enough time racking up wins in league as it is.)

I also don't know that you need to fix it, I am having a hard time recalling a time where an Atlantic Hockey team legitimately deserved an at large bid but didn't get one due to the profile of the league.
          Last edited by dpm105; 03-25-2015, 07:02 PM. Reason: mixed up auto and at large
          RIT Tiger Hockey
          Cinderella is dancing again!

Comment

Originally posted by dpm105 View Post
            You're right, RIT had four whole chances to play a top 20 (PWR) team this season, what was I thinking?
            It was a serious suggestion. Harvard's 4 (maybe 5) largely OOC wins against ranked teams in the Nov - early Dec run was what took them from way way down in the rankings to #1 PWR. Not a lot of games, they just happened to win them. The ECAC's overall OOC performance was not great this year either, as I understand it.
            Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-25-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Clark Fan Club View Post
              It isn't support, it is the cost of the bus. Way out of line! I can get a hotel, gas and tickets for half the expense.
              Exactly what I did. My hotel for two nights instead of one was $70.50 per person in our group.
              AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

You're right, RIT had four whole chances to play a top 20 (PWR) team this season, what was I thinking?
                I calculated where RIT would have been had they lost only 4 conference games (same as Minnesota State). I changed there last 5 conference losses to wins. Then I assumed they won non conference games against Minnesota (easily could have happened, took UMTC to overtime) and assumed that they won against Yale.

All other games with all other teams were assumed to have the same results.

RIT would have finished a respectable 17th in the Pairwise.

Don't tell me the schedule works against the AHC.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwearpurple View Post
                  I calculated where RIT would have been had they lost only 4 conference games (same as Minnesota State). I changed there last 5 conference losses to wins. Then I assumed they won non conference games against Minnesota (easily could have happened, took UMTC to overtime) and assumed that they won against Yale.

All other games with all other teams were assumed to have the same results.

RIT would have finished a respectable 17th in the Pairwise.

Don't tell me the schedule works against the AHC.
                  Wait a second? Are you telling me that in order to finish out of the tournament, "all" RIT would have to do is go 26-7-5, beat two of the three teams they played the entire year to make the NCAA tournament, and win or tie every league game they play from November 22nd through the end of the year? You've converted me. I'm a believer in the PWR!
                  Last edited by dpm105; 03-25-2015, 07:59 PM. Reason: spelling is hard
                  RIT Tiger Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
                    With RIT already making a frozen four its kind of selfish of them to try and stop our first attempt. New York hospitality at its finest.....
                    Well yeah, but a team from Hockey East would do the same and then steal your girlfriend too!

With a loss to the Tigers, you keep hold of your girlfriend!
                    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      I'm not a math guy so maybe you nerds at RIT can help me out. I'm sympathetic to your argument that there's a bootstrapping effect in the Pairwise that keeps AHA teams down (and this year appears to have elevated a couple NCHC teams), but how would you fix it? Dumb it down for me, if you could
                      I was told there wouldn't be any math on this thread to help the Harvard fans out!

'Nerds', really?
                      RIT Tigers

Comment

Wait a second? Are you telling me that in order to finish out of the tournament, "all" RIT would have to do is go 26-7-5, beat two of the three teams they played the entire year to make the NCAA tournament, and win or tie every league game they play from November 22nd through the end of the year? You've converted me. I'm a believer in the PWR!
                        Well, would you not expect that kind of record from most of the top 15 PWR teams if they had played your schedule, with 28 games against Atlantic Hockey opponents? I would.

I'm certainly glad we have RIT in the tournament and in our bracket in particular. It will be something to see if you can get past Minnesota State, of course, but I do wish you luck.
                        Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 03-25-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Agreed, but I do want to point out that Pairwise is really a flawed statistic when evaluating AHC teams. Too few OOC games, too many games against conference opponents with a terrible pairwise. Even the best teams will lose some games in conference throughout the season.
                          You are the one who is saying too few OOC games hurts you. You do need to win OOC games. I used for my example 2 games that RIT could have won. We get the same number of OOC games (actually 2 more because we travel to Alaska), and you have admitted that your conference opponents have a terrible pairwise.

Remember, our conference was the leftovers that the Nacho league didn't want, so there was no guarantee that our conference would have the strength that it does. Many people were saying that the WCHA would not survive.

And did you forget that RIT won the conference tournament. They are in whether their pairwise ranking is 1st, 17th, or 50th. That is the way that every single team can make the tournament. Has nothing to do with Pairwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                            It was a serious suggestion. Harvard's 4 (maybe 5) largely OOC wins against ranked teams in the Nov - early Dec run was what took them from way way down in the rankings to #1 PWR. Not a lot of games, they just happened to win them. The ECAC's overall OOC performance was not great this year either, as I understand it.
                            I believe the AHC's OOC record this year was dismal. The only team from AHC hanging around the top 20 was RMU but they faltered in the end and fell out. They ran the table in the AHC regular season but lost in the first round of the Tourney (At BCA, not the round leading up to it). IF memory serves me, Niagara racked up wins against AHC teams and had some decent OOC wins to stay in the top 16 but I'm not sure they survived to play in the tourney after losing in the AHC play-offs.

To be honest, PWR just tells us where a teams been and not necessarily how they are going to do in a 1 game series that we are about to witness in two more days. Some high ranking PWR teams will go home this weekend and some will make it to the FF. The same could be said about the auto-bid/lower ranked teams.

What you have to focus on is who is playing really well right now, who's going to be a bit lucky and who get's some call made their way. There's so many things in play here and while you can analyze the hell out of the seasons wins\losses and stats..... but if one thing doesn't go your way in that 60 minutes, you may be looking at the end of your hockey season and the start of golf season!
                            RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                              Well, would you not expect that kind of record from most of the top 15 PWR teams if they had played your schedule, with 28 games against Atlantic Hockey opponents? I would.
                              This is EXACTLY my point. Yes, I would expect a top 15 team to be able to do that with our schedule. The problem is, if they do that, they aren't a top 15 team.
                              RIT Tiger Hockey

Comment

When is the last time an AHA team actually made the tourney with a legit top 16 pairwise ranking?
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X