• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
    Q in 2013 perhaps?
    I believe you are correct.

I must say, I did not give this one a lot of thought before posing the question.

Anybody come up with an others? I have not researched this at all. I'm actually trying to get my taxes done (Blecchh!) here at my desk.

Comment

A few UNO tidbits about it's history of playing the other teams in this regional.

UNO has only played Harvard twice in the history of the program. Both games were at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in December of 1998 and UNO was swept by scores of 4-1 & 4-3.

Not sure if I attended either of those games. I didn't get UNO season tickets until the '99-'00 season and my attendance of games before that was much spottier.

UNO has played the Purple Cows every season of our program's existence, save for last season, '13-'14 (thank you, realignment, for screwing up the only uninterrupted series with another team we had until then) and, it resumed this season, with the two teams splitting a series in Omaha this past October. We have a traveling trophy with them, the "Spirit of the Maverick" (they being the closest D-1 program, distance-wise, to Omaha) and UNO is 14-18-5 against them, all time. Minnesota State Head Coach Mike Hastings is a former UNO assistant (to Dean Blais for 3 seasons, before leaving for the Mankato job) and Hastings is totally, utterly and completely hockey royalty in Omaha, having been the Head Coach of the Omaha Lancers of the USHL from '94-'08, where all he did was become the winningest Coach in the history of the USHL at 529-210-56, never had a losing season and he led the Lancers to 3 Clark Cup titles as the USHL’s play-off champions. He was also named the USHL Coach of the Year three times and, as the team’s general manager, earned league GM-of-the-Year honors five times. If it is our good fortune to get by Harvard in this deal, and they get by RIT, we'll have to work up some hate, somehow, for that one. I dare say the fans of our two schools are pretty friendly, even, since a lot of our co-existence since UNO's inception in '97-'98 (theirs in '96-'97 at D-1) was spent in mutual pseudo-mediocrity.

UNO has played RIT 3 times. All in Omaha. Oddly, the first two games were the weekend before the only 2 games we've ever played against Harvard in '98 and they swept us as well, by scores of 4-2 & 5-3.

Footnote: We stunk in '98-'99, going 11-24-0.

The other game was an appearance in Omaha by RIT in 2010 for the 2nd-to-the-last time we have held the Maverick Stampede, which was a preseason tournament that UNO held from '00-'11. Why we have stopped holding it, I do not know, exactly. UNO defeated RIT 5-3 in the championship game that year, a game that I attended.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 03-22-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
        A few UNO tidbits about it's history of playing the other teams in this regional.

UNO has played RIT 3 times. All in Omaha. Oddly, the first two games were the weekend before the only 2 games we've ever played against Harvard in '98 and they swept us as well, by scores of 4-2 & 5-3.

Footnote: We stunk in '98-'99, going 11-24-0.

The other game was an appearance in Omaha by RIT in 2010 for the 2nd-to-the-last time we have held the Maverick Stampede, which was a preseason tournament that UNO held from '00-'11. Why we have stopped holding it, I do not know, exactly. UNO defeated RIT 5-3 in the championship game that year, a game that I attended.
        The Tigers tend to start the season slowly and then kick it into gear near the end. 2010 was their run into the FF so they definitely turned it on later that season. Much appears to be the same this season as the team struggled early on but started winning down the stretch to get into the tourney.
        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

My pick - Harvard goes to the Frozen Four. UNO really isn't playing well lately, and I'm not a huge believer in Mankato. I don't think RIT can make another miracle run either.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
            My pick - Harvard goes to the Frozen Four. UNO really isn't playing well lately, and I'm not a huge believer in Mankato. I don't think RIT can make another miracle run either.
            Riz? Have you seen Mankato UNO RIT Harvard play?

I obviously believe MSU can take this regional but I also know better to bet against anyone in a one and done format. I haven't seen RIT or Harvard so I can't say MsuM or UNO is better then them. UNO slumped a bit but blais will have them ready. Should be a great weekend of hockey.
            All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post

I obviously believe MSU can take this regional but I also know better to bet against anyone in a one and done format. I haven't seen RIT or Harvard so I can't say MsuM or UNO is better then them. UNO slumped a bit but blais will have them ready. Should be a great weekend of hockey.
              Each time I saw Mankato play I was not impressed. That being said, I think they are a great team. Everybody gets so hurt by my simple prediction against their team haha.

Comment

Harvard was probably the worst matchup for UNO, but stranger things have happened. We'll find out next weekend.

Comment

My pick - Harvard goes to the Frozen Four. I don't think RIT can make another miracle run either.
                  These aren't the droids you're looking for and that's the way we like it!
                  RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Hi All, RIT fan checking in. Fiance and I will be making the trip out from Rochester friday night, cutting the drive in half with a stay in Cleveland. Should hit South Bend between 11:00 - 12:00 on Saturday. Really looking forward to this field as it features 3 teams I've never had a chance to see in person (I grew up in MA and may have seen Harvard when I was very young, but can't be certain.)

Would love to get together with other fans to grab a pint / talk puck before the game (good hockey talk is quite limited with fans from other AHC schools as they...well, don't exist). Also, would love to trade some game pucks if anyone else is into that sort of thing.
                    RIT Tiger Hockey
                    Cinderella is dancing again!

Comment

Each time I saw Mankato play I was not impressed. That being said, I think they are a great team. Everybody gets so hurt by my simple prediction against their team haha.
                      Which games did you see?
                      AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by dpm105 View Post
                        Hi All, RIT fan checking in. Fiance and I will be making the trip out from Rochester friday night, cutting the drive in half with a stay in Cleveland. Should hit South Bend between 11:00 - 12:00 on Saturday. Really looking forward to this field as it features 3 teams I've never had a chance to see in person (I grew up in MA and may have seen Harvard when I was very young, but can't be certain.)

Would love to get together with other fans to grab a pint / talk puck before the game (good hockey talk is quite limited with fans from other AHC schools as they...well, don't exist). Also, would love to trade some game pucks if anyone else is into that sort of thing.
                        I'm into that sort of thing!
                        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Mankato is easily the most complete team I have seen play this year.
                          Picking the overall #1 is easy, but that's my pick to take the whole enchilada.

I also agree with Mavsfan19 that given the format anything can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
                            Which games did you see?
                            Willing to bet it was the NSCC game against BSU? Only game I can think out that they weren't competitive in 5 months.

MSU only lost 2 games in 1 month(October), 1 in each of the last 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                              The Tigers tend to start the season slowly and then kick it into gear near the end. 2010 was their run into the FF so they definitely turned it on later that season. Much appears to be the same this season as the team struggled early on but started winning down the stretch to get into the tourney.
                              2010 preseason would have been the season after the FF run.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post

I think it is worth mentioning that we have been without our Hobey Baker candidate goalie, senior Ryan Massa, on and off for 8 games since the first of the year with a variety of injuries including the flu and we have been without our senior captain, Dominic Zombo, since the first period of the Saturday night game (January 31st) of our home series with North Dakota, when he took himself out of the game and he hasn't played since (10 games).

Yeah, we admit it. We limped our way into a # 8 Pairwise ranking, a #2 NCAA seed, and a 3rd place finish in the toughest conference in all of college hockey down the stretch despite being minus what are arguably the two best players on our team and who are the only seniors on the squad that are really "quality" players on a team that has 17 underclassmen on it.

A recent tweet from Massa sounds like he gonna be on the ice in South Bend and Zombo said in a recent Omaha World Herald article that even though he needs surgery to fix his problem, he is going to give it a try, if he can.

FWIW, UNO is 6-5-3 against the teams ranked ahead of it in the final Pairwise this season with the 3 ties ALL resulting in shoot-out wins. How many goals did Massa give up to the opposing teams in these 3 particular after-the-overtime shootouts? How about one, total?

I wonder how many teams that finished 8th in Pairwise have ever even played 14 games against teams ranked ahead of them? Probably not a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X