Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Midwest Regional: Minnesota State, Nebraska-Omaha, Harvard, RIT

I think I solved my ticket problem this morning.

I got up, went over to Warren Buffet's house, banged on the door, and, when he opened it, I pleaded with him to immediately buy Notre Dame University. He's got that kind of cash, as Andrew Dice Clay so succinctly once put it.

He said he wasn't exactly sure, but he thought he might already own a stake in it. He's getting on in years, as you know. I also suggested that he might supply a fleet of Lear jets for all our fans to be transported to and from the South Bend Regional this weekend. We're all very busy people, I explained to him, and don't have time to make silly 550 mile drives. I mean, when am I gonna get my taxes done?

I think I woke him up. He kind of rubbed his eyes when I asked him about all this and he said to me "Let me get this straight. The Husker hockey team?"

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
      Harvard is not great at face-offs.
      Neither is UNO. Atrocious. Big problem this season.

Comment

Just a few notes for those of you making the trip (and I hope a lot of you are so this place is not a mausoleum). Buy your tix from your school (the allotment) as ND sold 2000 regional tix to their season ticket holders when we renewed our tickets. I know of a few season ticket holders who will not be attending, so their tickets will be available (most won't attend--my group will be a minority).

Good places to eat have to include Polito's Pizza (for very good NY style pizza--401 N. Hickory), Nick's Patio (for good, cheap breakfast--1710 N. Ironwood) and Fiddler's Hearth (for a gold-star Guinness and great Irish stew--127 N. Main St.). All are within 2 miles of the ice rink. The food at the rink is pretty decent, but very expensive (Notre Dame is all about the money).

Roads around here absolutely blow with the harsh winter we had (and the cheap road maintenance we provide). There are hotels literally right across the road from the rink (Morris Inn, Ivy Court Inn, Fairfield Inn), but they are a bit pricey. By the mall would be cheaper and still within about 4 miles from the rink.

If you get in early, or are lucky enough to still be around to watch your team on Sunday, I suggest the History Museum/Studebaker Museum and Copshaholm for good way to kill a few hours (808 W. Washington). Especially if you like cars and/or historic homes. A walk around campus will never disappoint. Visit the Basilica (it is beautiful inside) and the Grotto (just down the hill from the church) and the Admin Building (the Golden Dome). Although it is unlikely to be open on the weekend, it is still nice. All 3 of those are about a 10 minute walk from the rink and you could throw a blanket over the 3 of them they are so close together.

And do stop by and say "Hey" like my brother said. We are above the "home" team tunnel. I can't decide if I want to wear one of my ND jerseys or my Harvard sweatshirt...
        "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
          And do stop by and say "Hey" like my brother said. We are above the "home" team tunnel. I can't decide if I want to wear one of my ND jerseys or my Harvard sweatshirt...
          That wont do, what size are you? Ill bring you a MSU Mavericks shirt, much better colors and logo. Plus it support cancer research.

Thanks for the info! I was really disappointed that I wont get a chance to tour the ND Stadium. But Ill definitely check out the campus a bit Im sure.
          All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Minnesota State Mankato Mavericks

Comment

Originally posted by MavsFan19 View Post
            That wont do, what size are you? Ill bring you a MSU Mavericks shirt, much better colors and logo. Plus it support cancer research.

Thanks for the info! I was really disappointed that I wont get a chance to tour the ND Stadium. But Ill definitely check out the campus a bit Im sure.
            You are not missing anything by not touring the Stadium. You can walk around it as you head to the Basilica, et al from the rink...

I am a medium. Wait. Which Mavs fan are you? Will the shirt be red? Or purple? This could be a confusing regional!
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

OK, Harvard fan here. We had a great weekend in Lake Placid skating on the lake, checking out Olympic sites, and taking in some fine Crimson play. Outnumbered everywhere we went of course.

So I was a little disappointed to learn that we weren't going to Manchester or Providence, each about an hour's drive. Google Earth indicates that South Bend (which is in Indiana!) is something like 900 miles away. Flights are around $900, though Chicago is $300s plus rental car. Best deal I've found is the Amtrak Lake Shore limited, one train all the way from South Station to South Bend for $105 one way. Takes like a day, though. Everything I know about this town comes from a movie about a hobbit who wanted to play football for Notre Dame.

So, planning to root hard for the Crimson from afar at this point, and hoping that will be sufficient. WHRB has confirmed that they are making the trip and will provide coverage, yeah! I am still trying to figure out if I can stream ESPN3 or another video source online somehow (we do not have much for cable).

You big time Western teams please know that Harvard is the real deal. We had a good turn of fortune in the PWR topping November to January 1st run, then a too long stretch dealing with injuries and just not getting it together. Still in the midst of all that we played BU even for 3 periods, while losing games to teams like Brown. These days, the Crimson of late Fall are back with a vengeance. Arguably the top line in the country, add in game makers like Colin Blackwell (a blast to watch), Patrick McNally and the rest of the guys, and you've got a rather dangerous team. Heck these guys are so good, they pulled ECAC-eliminated and idle Yale right into the tournament on their coat tails.

Perhaps it is a little presumptuous, but now we're saving up for Frozen Four tickets (anticipating some disappointed sellers in the event of a Harvard appearance!), which will be just a short subway ride away.

To that end, fight fiercely Harvard!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                You are not missing anything by not touring the Stadium. You can walk around it as you head to the Basilica, et al from the rink...

I am a medium. Wait. Which Mavs fan are you? Will the shirt be red? Or purple? This could be a confusing regional!

Good point, if by chance UNO and MSUM advance to meet that will be in fact a confusing telecast if the announcers dont learn to say school name instead of Mascot.
                All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. - Gordie Howe

Comment

Good point, if by chance UNO and MSUM advance to meet that will be in fact a confusing telecast if the announcers dont learn to say school name instead of Mascot.
                  UNO's radio guy struggles with games against Minnesota State, so I expect the ESPN guys who never watch College Hockey will embarass themselves as well
                  UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Red cows vs purple cows is okay in this context. I'd pay money to hear it called that way.
                    "A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day." -Calvin

4:00 double minors for roughing, to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thYearFreshman View Post
                      UNO's radio guy struggles with games against Minnesota State, so I expect the ESPN guys who never watch College Hockey will embarass themselves as well
                      The guy calling the games from South Bend is the NCHC's regular TV PBP. Not his fault he can't get on TV until February with the super conference's amazing national TV deal.
                      Originally posted by dicaslover
                      Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                      Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
                        I hope you realize my jealousy still runs deep for your 2010 win against my Pioneers. I was thinking about going to Ford Field that year. Seriously, one of the most disappointing results I've ever witnessed my team suffer. I'm sure you understand though as we were the #2 overall seed and had such a great team, uggh. I'm getting worked up just talking about it. Best of luck. Congrats on your conference title when everybody around here was picking RM.
                        That was an exciting weekend and even better knowing that the ESPN announcers wrote off the Tigers, predicting UNH or DU would make it into the FF.

You never know how these games are going to go so I hope they are close and as exciting as 2010.....with the Tigers winning of course!
                        RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                          That was an exciting weekend and even better knowing that the ESPN announcers wrote off the Tigers, predicting UNH or DU would make it into the FF.

You never know how these games are going to go so I hope they are close and as exciting as 2010.....with the Tigers winning of course!
                          These teams worship cows, how can we lose?
                          RIT Tigers

Comment

Red cows with the puck up the ice……now the purple cows stole the puck and are comeing back being chased by red down the ice …purple cows now in with numbers and a big save by red cows ……and so on

Comment

anyone else catch the twitter debate about eliminating the WCHA and AHC auto bids beacuse those conferences on typical year dont deserve it.. SMH.

Comment

anyone else catch the twitter debate about eliminating the WCHA and AHC auto bids beacuse those conferences on typical year dont deserve it.. SMH.
                                I believe you misspelled BTHC here.
                                Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                                when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                                Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Working...
                                X