Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: West Regional: North Dakota, Michigan Tech, St. Cloud State, Quinnipiac

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    Where did I say that? I just think it's stupid to say that MTU isn't battle tested because Games against Michigan And BGSU don't meet some cutoff. Those two are just as good as Providence or Nebraska Omaha in the grand scheme...
    I thought you kind of hinted at it but I misunderstood you, sorry. The WCHA has plenty of above average teams below Tech that nobody ever talks about also like Fairbanks, Bemidji, and Ferris that aren't exactly cakewalks either.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
      I thought you kind of hinted at it but I misunderstood you, sorry. The WCHA has plenty of above average teams below Tech that nobody ever talks about also like Fairbanks, Bemidji, and Ferris that aren't exactly cakewalks either.
      All I can say is I can't wait to see MTU match up against a couple NaCHo teams next weekend. Although the way ND did in their playoffs, they will be out for blood I think...And St. Cloud is no slouch that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Riz View Post
        i do think the NCHC is overinflated but that is the way the current system is setup. I haven't had time to analyze the data the way I want to yet but I did start tonight and will hopefully have what I think is a more equitable way to incorporate QWB. We'll see how much it would have changed things once I get done. I did the work a couple weeks ago but it takes too much time to do it often. I'll be posting it in the pwr thread. I do think that BGSU and UML are very worthy teams.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Ralph Baer. He is far and beyond me.
          RB has been posting 4 more years than you though...

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
            SCSU played 26 out of their 38 games this year against teams that made the NCAA tourney. UND played 22, Michigan Tech played 4 games and Quinnipiac played 6 games against tourney teams. Obviously SCSU and UND are battle tested.
            Quinnipiac played 7. Harvard 3 times, Yale 2, St Cloud 2
            Quinnipiac University '15
            ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
            ECAC Championship: 2016
            NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
            Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

This isn't a great version of the Bobcats. Offensively, they lack size and don't make up for it with elite speed or puck skills. Sam Anas has played very well his first two years in Hamden and has been an offensive weapon, he would make a difference if able to play and he's healthy. Our hope up front is that Matthew Peca turns in a performance circa 2013 after consistent yet unspectacular Jr and Sr years. I would be shocked if we saw more than 2-3 scoring chances generated outside of the top 2 lines.

The top 4 on the back end are solid. Agosta can create offense yet is prone to the head scratchers. Federico is Mr. Steady. Toews is our best defensemen, he can move the puck, shoot the puck, and skate. And the X factor, Connor Clifton. Where his offense has gone, I have no clue, but the ability to create is there. He will also cross the line and take runs at guys and even play dirty. He is effective when on his game and a minus machine when he isn't.

The goalie was terrific against Union, clearly the best hockey of his college career. Can he have a day? Yes, anyone can, and it is promising that his best hockey came a week ago; however, I've never viewed him as a game stealer or a goalie who gets in opponents heads.

That's it. I'm down on the team this year, but hell, all it takes is two win to survive an extra two weeks and play in Boston. Go Q.

Comment

That is some great math skills... 5 vs Minnesota State, 2 vs UMD equals 4...gotcha. And if you don't think Michigan or Bowling Green are good teams that would qualify as battle tested, you're nuts just because the NCHC has this superior appearance doesn't mean there weren't good teams left out...
                Michigan is not a good team.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Where did I say that? I just think it's stupid to say that MTU isn't battle tested because Games against Michigan And BGSU don't meet some cutoff. Those two are just as good as Providence or Nebraska Omaha in the grand scheme...
                  Maybe Providence, but UNO is a stretch. And Michigan isn't anything to brag about… basically 20th out of 60 teams in every poll is not blowing up anyone's skirt.

I don't think its unfair to say MTU isn't battle tested; doesn't mean they can't win one or even two games this weekend, but in comparison to SCSU and UND's schedule, it doesn't hold up. Basically WMU, BSU and Union are in a tier that's just above the halfway point of the rankings… and these were the worst teams we played all year other than CC. We played one bottom half team, on the road, and thumped them 13-2 in two games. We played top-10 teams over half of our games, whereas MTU played over half of the games against bottom half teams. Maybe tb didn't mean they're not at all battle tested, just not in comparison.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    Maybe Providence, but UNO is a stretch. And Michigan isn't anything to brag about… basically 20th out of 60 teams in every poll is not blowing up anyone's skirt.

I don't think its unfair to say MTU isn't battle tested; doesn't mean they can't win one or even two games this weekend, but in comparison to SCSU and UND's schedule, it doesn't hold up. Basically WMU, BSU and Union are in a tier that's just above the halfway point of the rankings… and these were the worst teams we played all year other than CC. We played one bottom half team, on the road, and thumped them 13-2 in two games. We played top-10 teams over half of our games, whereas MTU played over half of the games against bottom half teams. Maybe tb didn't mean they're not at all battle tested, just not in comparison.
                    The only test that matters is Friday Can't wait to be there!
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Subscribed
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

That is some great math skills... 5 vs Minnesota State, 2 vs UMD equals 4...gotcha. And if you don't think Michigan or Bowling Green are good teams that would qualify as battle tested, you're nuts just because the NCHC has this superior appearance doesn't mean there weren't good teams left out...
                        You make me laugh. You have such a little conference Syndrome it is not even funny. I have never said the WCHA is a bad conference or their teams are bad. I do think being battle tested means something and outside of Mankato Tech's Schedule was very soft. Maybe that makes Tech more fresh? I know a few Gopher fans who claim that is going to help them.....
                        I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post

I think Tech has had a great year and is a good team. THe WCHA was a good league and Tech did play plenty of good teams, but as you said its not the same as what SCSU played this year. I would not be shocked if Tech beat us and I would not be shock if any of these teams won the regional and went to the frozen four.
                          Last edited by scsutommyboy; 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

I imagine we'll be seeing Hockey East refs. In which case, we'll all be treated to many unnecessary ticky-tack penalties being called, which will slow the games down and frustrate fans from all teams involved.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                              You make me laugh. You have such a little conference Syndrome it is not even funny. I have never said the WCHA is a bad conference or their teams are bad. I do think being battle tested means something and outside of Mankato Tech's Schedule was very soft. Maybe that makes Tech more fresh? I know a few Gopher fans who claim that is going to help them.....
                              There is little doubt that MTU's schedule was easier than SCSU's. I have to accept that games against LSSU, UAH, UAA, Wisconsin compare only to their games with CC but I find it funny that you keep forgetting that they played UMD, not to mention BGSU and Michigan which were both 1 win at some point of the season away from making the tournament. Again, others can call Michigan crap all they want but the fact is if they win one more game (and not just the championship game against Minnesota) they're in this tournament. MTU can only play the games on their schedule and they tried to schedule a difficult NC slate...its not their fault Wisconsin was horrible this year.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                                I imagine we'll be seeing Hockey East refs. In which case, we'll all be treated to many unnecessary ticky-tack penalties being called, which will slow the games down and frustrate fans from all teams involved.
                                That usually benefits SCSU because they want a fast non physical game and if they are calling ticky-tack stuff that usually means lots of power plays for SCSU. They don't take a lot of penalties. Ou power play is top 10 as long as Kossilla is back and plays well. They missed him a lot saturday night and the power play suffered.

In Bob we Trust!

Comment

Working...
                                X