Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
    Where did you read that ?? Hope you didn't mean Vaughan is ready for the next step ?
    Doubt it. It's only natural, if you sign a professional contract for the AHL/NHL with college eligibility still on the table, that you believe you're ready for the next step. If he wasn't happy with Colgate, he would have transferred schools (likely with a year in the USHL to keep the skills fresh). Going to Major Junior could go either way with the argument, although leaning more towards the former, especially based upon a family advisor's feelings about the best route to the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
      Plenty of ECAC schools have been hit by the early departure bug and their fans continue to support the programs. How do you think RPI fans felt when both Brandon Pirri AND Jerry D'Amigo left after one season or when more recently Ryan Haggerty bolted for the Rangers with one year left? Or Union, for the pre-graduation losses of a multitude of players including several All-American caliber goalies as well as future NHL'er Josh Jooris. And remember Shayne Gostisbehere had a year left when he signed with the Flyers. Cornell really could have used Brian Ferlin last year, and the list goes on and on.

Players leaving school early is just part of the current climate and it has been that way for more than the last several years. When you have a successful program that has very good players, this is one of the downsides.

In this current case, you have an NDFA coming off what appears to be a fantastic showing in a summer development camp. Said NDFA scored two goals in the final camp scrimmage and impressed the club brass enough to earn a two-way NHL/AHL deal for two years. Should the player have returned to school, he would have been guaranteed nothing and may not have had a similar chance come March.

While the short-term loss stings based on the timing, in the long run, it speaks well of the program that it produces NHL/AHL caliber talent. Just in the last eight years alone, Colgate fans have seen Mark Dekanich, Jesse Winchester, Chris Wagner and Kyle Baun all make their NHL debuts. And before that, Andy McDonald was winning a Stanley Cup with Anaheim.
      Don't forget about the local prodigy, Mike Zalewski; he left for the Comets with two years on the table, although I'm sure some posters don't mind.

You make a very good point with the way opportunities present themselves. What if Johnston stayed with Colgate for another year and, heaven forbid, came down with a serious injury? Sure, you got to see him another year, and does have his education as a secondary route (which these players bolting for the pros could finish at any time; heck, Hall of Famer Adam Oates finished his degree over a few summers after leaving early for the pros), but his primary goal of making it to professional hockey, which I'm sure he's worked for his entire life, would have vanished because of the injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Where did you read that ?? Hope you didn't mean Vaughan is ready for the next step ?
        It was in the press release. It was in reference to Johnston. The way vaughn's quotes read to me was that Vaughn wasn't happy about the departure, but he isn't going to bash him in the media so he'd say that Ryan believes he is ready and we wish him the best and move on

Comment

Originally posted by 'Gate Radio View Post
          Plenty of ECAC schools have been hit by the early departure bug and their fans continue to support the programs. How do you think RPI fans felt when both Brandon Pirri AND Jerry D'Amigo left after one season or when more recently Ryan Haggerty bolted for the Rangers with one year left? Or Union, for the pre-graduation losses of a multitude of players including several All-American caliber goalies as well as future NHL'er Josh Jooris. And remember Shayne Gostisbehere had a year left when he signed with the Flyers. Cornell really could have used Brian Ferlin last year, and the list goes on and on.

Players leaving school early is just part of the current climate and it has been that way for more than the last several years. When you have a successful program that has very good players, this is one of the downsides.

In this current case, you have an NDFA coming off what appears to be a fantastic showing in a summer development camp. Said NDFA scored two goals in the final camp scrimmage and impressed the club brass enough to earn a two-way NHL/AHL deal for two years. Should the player have returned to school, he would have been guaranteed nothing and may not have had a similar chance come March.

While the short-term loss stings based on the timing, in the long run, it speaks well of the program that it produces NHL/AHL caliber talent. Just in the last eight years alone, Colgate fans have seen Mark Dekanich, Jesse Winchester, Chris Wagner and Kyle Baun all make their NHL debuts. And before that, Andy McDonald was winning a Stanley Cup with Anaheim.
          Thanks for the above GR, but I don't have to like it. Not to knock our coaches and DV, but you have to wonder what percentage of a player's motivation for moving on - like Johnston's - comes from staff not communicating, initially, the importance of staying the full four years and being loyal to one's school and getting an education. After all, isn't that why our players came to Colgate in the first place: to get a good education, NHL not withstanding? I don't believe all the players that jump go back and get their degrees; show me the stats on that. I guess I feel as CU13 does: bitter disappointment + a big letdown that more bad news is seeping out every day. Finn is great and he can win games for us, but not every game. We need to win almost every game to have a chance in the ECAC and NCAAs, and that takes a full compliment of (good) players. End of sermon.
          COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I am going to support our hockey program no matter who leaves early. I have always been so proud that Colgate has enjoyed an almost perfect graduation rate. It speaks to the basic student/athlete premise. Jesse Winchester, Mark Dekanich and Andy McDonald all graduated with their respective classes. To me, it is about commitment. I fully understand the possibility of injury and the $$$ signs in their eyes to sign. Yet they made a four year commitment to Colgate and in Ryan's case, left DV high and dry. Bitterly disappointed.

Comment

Congrats to Baun and Johnston. I hope their careers are like Andy McDonald's; long and successful minus the concussions. Would love to see another Stanley Cup make it to Hamilton.

This is the ultimate coup for any player, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I was more disappointed with Chris Wagner's departure. It seemed abrupt and I questioned his loyalty and dissatisfaction with Colgate's mediocrity more than most players', perhaps unjustifiably so. I feel Vaughan is being p/c and is not angry. The circumstances are bittersweet and no coach is naive in this game. It is a testament to Vaughan's recruiting skills, development skills, and academic skills that he is able to woo talent away from the bigger conferences and propel them to the NHL. I hope our players' decisions to leave are not a reflection of their time spent at Colgate. Even when players remain, our continuity from one season to the next is unpredictable and high expectations often fall flat, injuries notwithstanding. We can't seem to catapult ourselves to win another title. Despite the hard work and dedication, players must sense that.

Colgate seems to be in an exciting transition. Hopefully a new rink, more frequent NHL prospects and draftees, and all of the accolades that would come from a Colgate degree will mean more legwork for the coaches due to (some) higher turnover, but also a rising national program. BU, NoDak, Minnesota...these schools deal with this stuff every season. It's time we join the club and never look back.

And Chris Heisenberg's recruit list for Colgate's commits is always the shortest in the League, regardless of the year!
              C O L G A T E
              2023 ECAC CHAMPION
              1990 NCAA FINALS
              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
              ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
              ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I had such a great time last night seeing many of the Colgate hockey alums back for the Terry Slater Memorial Golf Tournament. Here are some names from the past: Mike Houle, Walter Dubas, Ky Roesler, Chris Renaud, Larry Gertsakis, Jimmy Wallace, Steve Smith, Jeff Cooper, Gerard Waslen, Paul Silvio, Mike LeBlanc, Pete Ens, Rod Powell, Donny Taylor, Kenny Islemoe, Gary Mitchell, Danny Delianadis, Dan Fridgen, Max Maillet, Rick Russell, Vascan Matteosian, Karl Clauss, Joel Gardner, Shawn Lillie, Steve Poapst, Mike Walsh, Clint Campbell, Scott Reston........just to name a few. Lots more to see tonight!!

Comment

Saw Kyle Baun skating and working out at Starr last night and tonight; last night he was wearing BlackHawks gear and tonight was wearing a Colgate Hockey jersey; too bad he won't be wearing the maroon jersey next year... what could have been!

Comment

Steel's going up at the new arena. Hopefully they have a roof on it before it snows so they can get a bunch of the inside work done. Even if it's from a distance and somewhat dark, hopefully I can catch a glimpse this season. Obviously just the outside; not going to look for a tour.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                      Steel's going up at the new arena. Hopefully they have a roof on it before it snows so they can get a bunch of the inside work done. Even if it's from a distance and somewhat dark, hopefully I can catch a glimpse this season. Obviously just the outside; not going to look for a tour.
                      FlagDUDE, if you get inside or real close keep us in the loop. The webcam shows only one view, and doesn't show the steel going up, so any info you can share would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                        FlagDUDE, if you get inside or real close keep us in the loop. The webcam shows only one view, and doesn't show the steel going up, so any info you can share would be appreciated.
                        How about the Colgate Hockey twitter feed? https://***********/colgate_hockey

The images are not as common, but they do give another angle. It's certainly not what they had when Penn State put their rink together, but it's at least good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                          How about the Colgate Hockey twitter feed? https://***********/colgate_hockey

The images are not as common, but they do give another angle. It's certainly not what they had when Penn State put their rink together, but it's at least good to see.
                          Thanks DUDE; that's a good shot via Twitter. I don't do Twitter. Where can I access this link on a day-to-day basis? On the 'Gate Athletic Website??

Comment

I don't either, great shots. It looks like the main entrance is where the steel is being raised in the southwest corner, I thought the main entrance would be on the northwest corner providing easy access driving (and or dropping off) on college street. I'm surprised. TY Flag !!
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Shabby - the main entrance will be on the College Street side.......actually facing the football stadium. I heard talk of tearing down the old Birch Apts. for parking for the rink. Rumor or real?

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                                Thanks DUDE; that's a good shot via Twitter. I don't do Twitter. Where can I access this link on a day-to-day basis? On the 'Gate Athletic Website??
                                I'd just recommend bookmarking the link I sent you, and you'll see updates every now and then. You're not required to have a Twitter account to read. I will never join Twitter, either.

Comment

Working...
                                X