Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

    Originally posted by red133883 View Post
    So now that Baun is gone, what does everyone think about next season. This gives me great pause.

    My guess is that you move Borkowski to the right wing with the spinks. I know mike is a center, but with the entire offseason Id hope shuffling it up won't be too bad.

    I think with the departures of the seniors and Baun, we will still have a good team, but if we get injured, we won't even sniff a home playoff game let alone a bye. This year our depth almost got us to the tournament (still tough that we were bounced like we were) but we will be much more fragile next year
    My guess is they would leave Borkowski at center, with Murphy and ? on the wings. Panowyk played some left wing in the playoffs. Don't know what the situation with Black is. Got to have more than 1 line and Borkowski is too good a face off guy to out on a line that's already got a center that does OK on faceoffs. We'll see in the fall.

    Best of luck to Kyle, I hope he has a long and good carreer. One thing we know - he'll give it all he's got.

    See you in the fall.

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

      Originally posted by Rainman View Post
      Sigh ... the post-season hangover has officially begun for me, and it'll probably last at least a week. It stings to see the season end despite 22 wins, our most since 2004-05. But in another context, we couldn't beat Yale, Quinnipiac, Harvard (3 opportunities!), BU, or Providence. So in a way, we don't deserve to make the NCAA Tournament, even though I really wanted to see us make the Frozen Four this year, it being in Boston and all. But I'll probably still go since it's in my backyard.

      Unfortunately, I must classify this season as a "disappointment", since we did not make the NCAA's. But still, any of the Colgate hockey teams from 2006-13 will look at this year's team and say that this was a great season. We suffered injuries to key players and overcame adversity. We even got Mike Borkowski back in the lineup when we thought he was done for the year! The team last night played to the final horn and never quit. But if there was one thing that I could point to that went wrong this weekend, it was our penalty kill. Only 12 total penalty minutes, but 3 power play goals. Maybe the wider sheet of ice made it difficult. But it's no excuse.

      It's tough to see this year's seniors go out like this. They have been the most successful graduating class in recent memory. Remember, their freshmen season was the year Austin Smith scored 36 goals! Joe Wilson played on a line with Smith and Chris Wagner that year! Brendan, Brooks, John, Daniel, Joe, and Spiro have all been key contributors to the team. Spiro beat cancer and overcame an injury this season. I agree that I'd love to see him behind the Colgate bench again as a coach
      I was going to try to put a wrap on the season from my perspective, but Rainman did such a good job I'll just ditto his thoughts here. Besides, I'm feeling bummed out after getting the bad news about Baun Players need to stay the full four years IMHO.

      Yes, there is "disappointment" about our season as we didn't reach the Holy Grail. But I cannot but think it was a "successsful" season and a "good" season with 22 wins - especially after looking back at some of the records we've compiled since year 2000. I still don't understand Yale getting into the dance, but it is what it is......backing in is no way to do it!

      We just have to be optimistic about next year and see what transpires during the off-season. "Do You Believe In Miracles?"...it just could happen.
      Last edited by ColSkate65; 03-26-2015, 04:07 PM.
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

      Comment


      • #93
        Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

        The fact that Baun thinks so highly of Colgate and will finish his degree should make us all proud. We have tremendous student-athletes at Colgate. Schools like BC or Minnesota draft multiple players every year, and we're reeling over one! Let's use Baun's departure as another recruiting tool along with our new rink. It's also a testament to Vaughan as being a tremendous coach.

        Vaughan recruits well out of Cornwall. A new Kyle will emerge. I think the (healthy) Spink twins have the best in them yet to come. To those going on USCHO hiatus until October, see you then.
        C O L G A T E
        1990 NCAA FINALS
        ______________________
        ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

          Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
          The fact that Baun thinks so highly of Colgate and will finish his degree should make us all proud. We have tremendous student-athletes at Colgate. Schools like BC or Minnesota draft multiple players every year, and we're reeling over one! Let's use Baun's departure as another recruiting tool along with our new rink. It's also a testament to Vaughan as being a tremendous coach.

          Vaughan recruits well out of Cornwall. A new Kyle will emerge. I think the (healthy) Spink twins have the best in them yet to come. To those going on USCHO hiatus until October, see you then.
          Exactly. While Baun's departure might "depress" everyone now in the long run it is actually a positive for the program. Here's a young man who came into the program without being drafted and 3 years later through hard work and coaching had numerous NHL teams, I heard as many as 12, bidding for his services.

          This will be a definite plus in recruiting

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

            Has anyone heard of any assistant coaching rumors??? I assume Don would hire someone sooner rather than later. And, does anyone know where the 3rd Spink is going to play? I see that Tanner Spink wears #13 for Cornwall.

            Comment


            • #96
              Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

              Nothing on Tanner Spink committing anywhere but there was an interview in the Utica paper last year where his brothers said they hoped to play with him their senior year . . .

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                All three teams out of the NCAAs. Maybe the ECAC wasn't quite as potent this year as we thought?
                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                  Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                  All three teams out of the NCAAs. Maybe the ECAC wasn't quite as potent this year as we thought?
                  Two teams (QU and Yale) lost to #1 seeds with Quinnipiac playing in front of close to 6,000 UND fans with probably 10 QU fans in the house if that. UND to me is also the best team in the tournament. Yale gave everything they had to BU but still couldn't pull it out. Harvard played a really talented UNO squad away from the East. None of the ECAC teams got any breaks due to being 3 and 4 seeds but getting 3 teams in is still impressive.
                  QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


                  ECAC Regular Season Champions
                  2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

                  ECAC Tournament Champions
                  2016

                  NCAA Tournament
                  2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

                  NCAA Frozen Four
                  2013, 2016

                  https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                  https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                  https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                  https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                    Where is Kyle...don't see him in Blackhawks roster or Rockford(AHL) who played in Utica last night ??
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      Where is Kyle...don't see him in Blackhawks roster or Rockford(AHL) who played in Utica last night ??
                      He'll burn his first year of his 2 yr entry NHL deal ( the rest of this season) with the Hawks...practicing and he might he might see ice when the Hawks clinch. This is exactly how it played out for FA signees RPIs Haggerty and SLU Carey last season. . Keep in mind the Hawks are deep and also signed UVMs Palliotta - also a big rugged forward and a CHI draft pick.
                      ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                      Comment


                      • Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                        Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                        Two teams (QU and Yale) lost to #1 seeds with Quinnipiac playing in front of close to 6,000 UND fans with probably 10 QU fans in the house if that. UND to me is also the best team in the tournament. Yale gave everything they had to BU but still couldn't pull it out. Harvard played a really talented UNO squad away from the East. None of the ECAC teams got any breaks due to being 3 and 4 seeds but getting 3 teams in is still impressive.
                        ND did have the crowd on their side, but QU looked less impressive the entire game; their heralded scorers and goalie underperformed when the stakes were at their highest. Other #1 seeds saw their seasons come to an early end, too, and Yale certainly did not play like a #4 seed against BU and could have won. Of all the ECAC teams, Yale impressed the most. What would Harvard be without Vesey? They lost to a good UNO team but barely squeaked by an underrated, impressive RIT team. Seeds and rankings don't matter so much in the playoffs; everyone is at zero and it's win or go home. Getting 3 teams in is fantastic for the league and they all earned the right to be there. Perhaps that means the league as a whole is improving.

                        Colskate, no ECAC team seemed to dominate like Union did last year. The Dutchmen were nearly flawless and really set the standard of what is expected to be a national contender from our conference IMO.
                        C O L G A T E
                        1990 NCAA FINALS
                        ______________________
                        ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                        ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                        ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

                        Comment


                        • Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                          Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                          ND did have the crowd on their side, but QU looked less impressive the entire game; their heralded scorers and goalie underperformed when the stakes were at their highest. Other #1 seeds saw their seasons come to an early end, too, and Yale certainly did not play like a #4 seed against BU and could have won. Of all the ECAC teams, Yale impressed the most. What would Harvard be without Vesey? They lost to a good UNO team but barely squeaked by an underrated, impressive RIT team. Seeds and rankings don't matter so much in the playoffs; everyone is at zero and it's win or go home. Getting 3 teams in is fantastic for the league and they all earned the right to be there. Perhaps that means the league as a whole is improving.

                          Colskate, no ECAC team seemed to dominate like Union did last year. The Dutchmen were nearly flawless and really set the standard of what is expected to be a national contender from our conference IMO.
                          Sam Anas was 60% in that game by the way. That is a big factor why they struggled. Neither BU or Yale had any significant home ice advantage as Manchester was a practical ghost town.
                          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


                          ECAC Regular Season Champions
                          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

                          ECAC Tournament Champions
                          2016

                          NCAA Tournament
                          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

                          NCAA Frozen Four
                          2013, 2016

                          https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                          https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

                          Comment


                          • Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                            I know QU...but missing 40% of one player of a nationally ranked team...they just didn't pull it together. FWIW 'Gate shares your team's frustration in the ECAC tournament

                            A lot to reflect on for this season. Anas's injury put QU in jeopardy, while Colgate and Harvard were the epitome of will and determination due to their shallow benches. QU and Colgate really suffered with their OOC losses. One additional win for either team (or even a tie) and both of their postseasons could have been very different.
                            C O L G A T E
                            1990 NCAA FINALS
                            ______________________
                            ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                            ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                            ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

                            Comment


                            • Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                              Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                              I know QU...but missing 40% of one player of a nationally ranked team...they just didn't pull it together. FWIW 'Gate shares your team's frustration in the ECAC tournament

                              A lot to reflect on for this season. Anas's injury put QU in jeopardy, while Colgate and Harvard were the epitome of will and determination due to their shallow benches. QU and Colgate really suffered with their OOC losses. One additional win for either team (or even a tie) and both of their postseasons could have been very different.
                              Losses to UConn and UMass killed us. Change both those to wins and we are probably looking at Quinnipiac as a #2 seed.
                              QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS


                              ECAC Regular Season Champions
                              2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

                              ECAC Tournament Champions
                              2016

                              NCAA Tournament
                              2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

                              NCAA Frozen Four
                              2013, 2016

                              https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                              https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                              https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                              https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

                              Comment


                              • Re: Colgate 2014-2015: Part II

                                Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                                Two teams (QU and Yale) lost to #1 seeds with Quinnipiac playing in front of close to 6,000 UND fans with probably 10 QU fans in the house if that. UND to me is also the best team in the tournament. Yale gave everything they had to BU but still couldn't pull it out. Harvard played a really talented UNO squad away from the East. None of the ECAC teams got any breaks due to being 3 and 4 seeds but getting 3 teams in is still impressive.
                                The difference between all 16 teams in the tourney seemed to be razor thin. "On any given Friday...." Yale was tenacious against BU, RIT was eye-opening and amazing, QU & Harvard aquitted themselves admirably, NoDak looked very impressive, and Denver was no easy out either. BU looked unstoppable and Providence was a beast. Any one of these teams could be national champs with a bounce here or lucky break there, IMO. Should be a couple of great semis in Boston.
                                COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X