X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan State Off-season

I need a large paper bag

Re: Michigan State Off-season

Any chance Anastos gets fired after yet another disappointing season for you guys?
    LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I wouldn't say it was a disappointing year. I was expecting around .500, and that's exactly what I got. Anastos would've had to lose 30 to get fired this year, IMO.

If I had to guess, he gets one more year. If he can't make the NCAAs with a team that he primarily recruited, then the AD has a tough decision to make.

God, I hope Hildebrand stays for his senior year.
      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
      66 - 86 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I could not watch the game last night and I am glad. Sounds like it was more of last weekend just minus Hildebrand heroics.

Disappointed for sure, but hey, we finished above .500! Above average, baby!

I think we will be quite good next year. A lot of established and budding talent returning.

Comment

That was as bad a game in our own zone as we've played all year. I don't know anything about being above a .500 team. All I can think about is the finish. Yeaachh

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            That was as bad a game in our own zone as we've played all year. I don't know anything about being above a .500 team. All I can think about is the finish. Yeaachh
            I agree. I had hopes that they could make the NCAA. But that was the worse play i have ever seen in our own zone. Disappointed. Disgusted and sickened.
            After that display there better be some soul searching.

Comment

Why is it that MTU (who was in worse shape then MSU) can go 29-9 with a fourth year Coach and make the tourney? And a BU team fresh off a 10 win season, can win both the season and tourney in Hockey East with a second year coach. And MSU with a fourth year coach barely gets to .500 and then gets destroyed in a play-off game against the biggest rival? I think next year is his last under the current contract. Can we hope it's his last.

Comment

Let me tell you - there's some great young boys in the State pipeline right now, coming from the HoneyBaked system. I happen to know the families of a couple guys. Based on the year they just had there....With a year or 2 at thier respective USHL clubs, these kids are going to elevate the MSU program. Trust me. Remember the restaraunt scene in Mrs Doubtfire, when Stu was choking on shrimp? "Help is on the way Dear"!!!!!!
                I want to be a fan of the best team in college hockey - so that explains why I am a DENVER fan!

Comment

You'll lose some games to in conference and you'll win some. But if you come into the conference with a .500 record, you're in trouble. A good out of conference start is soo important.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
                    Let me tell you - there's some great young boys in the State pipeline right now, coming from the HoneyBaked system. I happen to know the families of a couple guys. Based on the year they just had there....With a year or 2 at thier respective USHL clubs, these kids are going to elevate the MSU program. Trust me. Remember the restaraunt scene in Mrs Doubtfire, when Stu was choking on shrimp? "Help is on the way Dear"!!!!!!
                    I had a chance to see Lewandowski go end-to-end and he reminded me of Berry doing the same at Muskegon. He is a skilled player and wore the 'C'. Lalonde is also going to have a good season in the USHL and will be ready come 2016. Bederka put up good numbers and I trust he will do the same.

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                    Why is it that MTU (who was in worse shape then MSU) can go 29-9 with a fourth year Coach and make the tourney? And a BU team fresh off a 10 win season, can win both the season and tourney in Hockey East with a second year coach. And MSU with a fourth year coach barely gets to .500 and then gets destroyed in a play-off game against the biggest rival? I think next year is his last under the current contract. Can we hope it's his last.
                    It's not ... Mr. Anastos' contract was extended through 2016-17. Let's hope he can gain some real traction when it comes to consistent recruiting, or he may not outlast Red Berenson.

Comment

I had a chance to see Lewandowski go end-to-end and he reminded me of Berry doing the same at Muskegon. He is a skilled player and wore the 'C'. Lalonde is also going to have a good season in the USHL and will be ready come 2016. Bederka put up good numbers and I trust he will do the same.

It's not ... Mr. Anastos' contract was extended through 2016-17. Let's hope he can gain some real traction when it comes to consistent recruiting, or he may not outlast Red Berenson.
                      Gifted offensive players are desperately needed. Recent Spartan teams have relied way too much on goaltending and blocking shots. With Berry gone, the Spartans are losing probably the only player who could beat a defenseman one on one to create chances. Hopefully Jacobs and Draeger can step up their offense as well, as we haven't had any D men who could lead a rush since Torey Krug.

Comment

Originally posted by spartyon58 View Post
                        Gifted offensive players are desperately needed. Recent Spartan teams have relied way too much on goaltending and blocking shots. With Berry gone, the Spartans are losing probably the only player who could beat a defenseman one on one to create chances. Hopefully Jacobs and Draeger can step up their offense as well, as we haven't had any D men who could lead a rush since Torey Krug.
                        I think guys like Keller and Ebbing could be developing into that kind of player. To me its mystifying that Ebbing hasn't racked up more points in his first two seasons. At any rate, it's the guys who have great lateral-skating instinct that can move in like that and create chances. Maceachern has nearly the NHL size and speed, though he approaches with a sort of reckless abandon with the puck. But he moves so well without it and is so good in the corners. Deblouw has probably the most complete package right now among our remaining roster of players.

Among our D-men, Jacobs is the kind of skater you're talking about but has the size to go with that. We all want him to try to shoot more. Krygier shows flashes as a blue-line-to-blue-line buck mover. Walsh is our most consistent. Not th
                        Last edited by owslachief; 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM.

Comment

I think guys like Keller and Ebbing could be developing into that kind of player. To me its mystifying that Ebbing hasn't racked up more points in his first two seasons. At any rate, it's the guys who have great lateral-skating instinct that can move in like that and create chances. Maceachern has nearly the NHL size and speed, though he approaches with a sort of reckless abandon with the puck. But he moves so well without it and is so good in the corners. Deblouw has probably the most complete package right now among our remaining roster of players.

Among our D-men, Jacobs is the kind of skater you're talking about but has the size to go with that. We all want him to try to shoot more. Krygier shows flashes as a blue-line-to-blue-line buck mover. Walsh is our most consistent. Not th
                          1. I think at the end of the year we missed Walsh more then people realize. It changed our D pairings that had been the same all season up until that point. It is hard to build chemistry with a guy in a couple weeks.

2. In terms of next year every guy we lost to graduation can be easily replaced except for Berry. That being said, Maceachern reminds me a lot of Berry when he was a sophomore. Flashes of great skill and the ability to single-handedly take over the game. He just needs to be more consistent which hopefully he can figure out in the off-season. Also most of our team are sophomores and juniors. If say one, two, maybe three guys (i.e. Haag, Ebbing,Wood?) figure out how to score consistently along with Mac, Ferrintino, Keller, Cox, and Deblow, we will be just fine next year. Fun fact: we return 75% of our scoring next year.

3. I don't see where all the panic is coming from after just one bad game to end the season. If we can just average three goals a game next year we are pretty much guaranteed to win 75% of our games due to the one factor most teams struggle to find, A REALLY REALLY GOOD GOALIE. -In Hildebrand We Trust.

4. In terms of comparing us to other programs out there remember that we were in a serious talent deficit thanks to Comely. It takes time to build up a program the way a new coach wants it (especially with our biggest/nearest rival taking advantage of Comely's poor recruiting). I believe when Anastos took the job he said it would take around 7 years to get the program to where he would like it to be so we have to be patient at least one to two more years. But I agree that if next year, with all the returning talent, we don't go well over .500 it will be hard to keep Anastos around.

Comment

Some pro signings of MSU seniors, according to the Snews:

AHL
                            * Matt Berry signed ATO with Norfolk (Anaheim Ducks affiliate) on 3/28

ECHL
                            * Brent Darnell signed with the Bakersfield Condors and has an assist in 2 games.
                            * Tanner Sorenson signed with the Alaska Aces, joining 2014 seniors Greg Wolfe and Dean Chelios.

No announcement yet about Ron Boyd (Florida Panthers), the lone NHL-drafted senior this year.

Comment

MSU has added Taro Hirose to its 2016 recruiting class. He's a player with good offensive skills currently with Salmon Arm of the BCHL.

Comment

Working...
                              X