X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2015 Off Season Thread: Another Long Spring and Summer

Originally posted by RPI fan 4 life View Post
    Speaking of wearing number 1, the only goaltender who has worn #1 since SA took over the reins is Jordan Alford, who had the number prior to Seth arriving. So OGC has never given out that number to a goalie (or anyone else).
    Interested in seeing if Cam Hackett gets that number, since he wore it last season.
    Just wondering but in the professional ranks the Head Equipment guy gives out the numbers, maybe Dana is actually the one who assigns the numbers?
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
      Ralph, you being about my age, when you were young,
      the NHL teams only carried one goalie. And the home team provided a "house goalie" to come in and replace an injured goaltender from either team.
      And as I recall, all the goalies wore #1.
      I did not pay any attention to hockey until I was at RPI in 1964. I think that by that time all NHL teams had two goalies.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
        Just wondering but in the professional ranks the Head Equipment guy gives out the numbers, maybe Dana is actually the one who assigns the numbers?
        I would think that the players are at least allowed to say what numbers they preferred.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I did not pay any attention to hockey until I was at RPI in 1964. I think that by that time all NHL teams had two goalies.
          I think expansion brought in the tandem.

And I remember Don Cutts who wore a 0 on the back of the jersey.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            Me too.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Brad Tapper wore no. 52 the reverse of his brother

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Me too.
                Don graduated in 74 (?). I thought you were long gone by then.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

It appears that in the 1960's, it was the custom for RPI to give # 1 to the goalie with the most seniority. A less-senior goalie would have to bide his time with a higher number until the other goalie graduated.

Stu Benton, who had been # 15 in 1960-61, became # 1 in 1961-62 after the departure of Jim MacLean. Tony Mancini, whose first year was 1961-62, took # 15 that year, then became # 1 in '62-63, while sophomore Bill Sack wore # 3 that year. After Mancini departed, Sack wore # 1 each of the next two seasons.

There was no holdover goalie in 1965-66, so Dick Greenlaw claimed # 1 that year. Greenlaw continued to wear # 1 as a junior in 1966-67, with sophomore Tom Nichol wearing # 20.

Nichol clearly established himself as the first-string goalie that year, but when he and Greenlaw both returned to the team the next season, Garry Kearns evidently didn't want to take # 1 away from the senior, so Greenlaw and Nichol both wore # 1 in 1967-68.

Nichol wore # 1 again in 1968-69, since he was the only true goaltender on the roster, though defenseman Brian Dickey and the legendary Barry Sherwood also spent time in net that season.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                    Tony Mancini, whose first year was 1961-62, took # 15 that year, then became # 1 in '62-63, while sophomore Bill Sack wore # 3 that year. After Mancini departed, Sack wore # 1 each of the next two seasons.
                    Mancini was around in 64-65, but he played forward.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Don graduated in 74 (?). I thought you were long gone by then.
                      I finished my PhD in 1974.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 19 June 2015. There are 106 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 3 October 2015 for the start of next season.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think expansion brought in the tandem.

Here's some red meat is 0 actually a number ?
                          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                            Yes.
                            RPI Pep Band
                            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Are you sure you want to argue this with a bunch of RPI geeks alums?
                              Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

0 is an integer, are integers numbers?

0 is usually placed at the middle of the number line, or at the center of a graph, there isn't a gap there....
                                "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Working...
                                X