Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting Fact

This is why MN > MI.

Warming house here: enclosed building, with bathrooms, the attendant usually had a tv (rabbit ear antennae) and/or radio, etc. And the attendant actually got paid more than min wage (I know, I worked a couple for some PT work for about 4-5 years).

Also, thanks to my job (and a good friend's job) we ran the rink. The whole neighborhood knew we played boot hockey on Fri/Sat nights, open to close. You can show up and play, or if you want to "free skate" you get the pond-like ice. Not the rink.

Ah, good times.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      This is why MN > MI.
      I'm from Michigan...only been in MN once...and I can completely agree with this statement...

Comment

I think I've probably skated on 20 or so sheets of outdoor ice in the Metro between St. Louis Park, Edina, and Hopkins....

Over Christmas I skated on an outdoor sheet in Evergreen Park, IL. Every time I skate there I'm amazed that we have to pay to use outdoor ice...
        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
        Originally posted by Quizmire
        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Odd, metro detroit is overrun with rinks. We've got a nice selection. I am on the very outskirt of metro detroit and I've got at least 6 or 7 within 10 miles, all of which are at least two rinks inside, which reminds me, I had never seen a single indoor rink until the UP.

I have been to Minnesota way too many times to ever be able to count it and I 100% say that it does not beat Michigan, specifically Metro Detroit. It's the place that is missing only one thing, an economy.

Comment

Originally posted by techcodemonkey View Post
            I'm from Michigan...only been in MN once...and I can completely agree with this statement...
            Well, talk to FM and Diva and maybe you all can get a group to get to the Final 5 in spring. It's awesome. Trust me, and the others who will back me up on that.

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
            I think I've probably skated on 20 or so sheets of outdoor ice in the Metro between St. Louis Park, Edina, and Hopkins....

Over Christmas I skated on an outdoor sheet in Evergreen Park, IL. Every time I skate there I'm amazed that we have to pay to use outdoor ice...
            Paying for outdoors is stupid, unless you're in a league (refs, etc). Although, that would explain the closures of a lot of rinks in my area. I'd be happy to add on some dough to my taxes if I knew it went to keep those rinks staffed/open.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

F5 is definitely an option...especially considering my 21st birthday is the Tuesday the week of F5...it could be EPIC...

Comment

F5 is definitely an option...especially considering my 21st birthday is the Tuesday the week of F5...it could be EPIC...
                I gotta ask. For the MN-MTU series, were you in the front row next to Gina? I heard a rumor that was you. I was the moron that "invaded" the section both nights in a MN jersey ("Kill Me Now" whiteboard guy).

Comment

Paying for outdoors is stupid, unless you're in a league (refs, etc). Although, that would explain the closures of a lot of rinks in my area. I'd be happy to add on some dough to my taxes if I knew it went to keep those rinks staffed/open.
                  It was skating only. They had boards, painted lines and face off dots, and a roof (no walls though)...but one of the rules said no hockey.
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Yep that was me Brent

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                      It was skating only. They had boards, painted lines and face off dots, and a roof (no walls though)...but one of the rules said no hockey.
                      That's pure BS.

Yep that was me Brent
                      Heh, wow. I was like, "Whoa, THAT'S him? Hahahahahahahaha."

But you're still welcome at the F5. You seem to be good people.

Comment

Now there's my whole problem with needing a job or getting a small inheritance to pay to get there and back and money for everything in between...

Comment

Now there's my whole problem with needing a job or getting a small inheritance to pay to get there and back and money for everything in between...
                          True. And a little hint: I've never bought tickets beforehand. I've always bought them from the street/friends with extras. If MN/UND/WI are not in the game, they can't GIVE away tickets. Not kidding. I recommend taking that chance.

So, basically, buy gas/drive, drink up before/after game on your own supply, with a supplemental at the bar if needed, and you should be fine.

There are grills around at the Gopher Tailgate. The last (?) years, we've had a lot reserved.

Comment

Heh, wow. I was like, "Whoa, THAT'S him? Hahahahahahahaha."

I will punch him in the face if he shows up.
                            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                              Didn't BC have a practice at an outdoor rink last year? Or maybe it was the year before? (I think I remember reading that in the Globe) Where was that rink?
                              Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was in Brookline. I'm not sure if they actually have organized hockey there, or if it's even regulation size.

I played at one "outdoor" rink growing up. It was in Groton, and it had a chain-link fence around the outside and a roof, and the locker rooms were just trailers. But they got rid of it like 8 or 10 years ago and replaced it with a new indoor rink.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

I played a decent amount of outdoor hockey in the Ann Arbor area growing up. The city has a nice outdoor rink, my dad would make a backyard rink when me and my brother were younger, and one of my coaches had a pond in the woods behind his house where we occasionally played for fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X