Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hockey Expansion

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Where are the great beaches close to campus at San Jose, Berkeley and Palo Alto?
    Santa Cruz is only 20 mins from San Jose and Palo Alto. Berkeley granted isn't close to the beach but it's right over the bridge from San Francisco and there are a few "beaches" on the west side of SF.
    "I would like to allocate more time to dating, though. I need to find a girlfriend. That’s why I need to carve out just a little more time. I think maybe even another five to 10 — how much time does a woman want a week? Maybe 10 hours? That’s kind of the minimum? I don’t know.”
    - Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      Was an ice plant included in the Assembly Hall renovation? Last I knew, it wasn't and their current ice rink is like 150' x 250' or some weird dimension like that and only seats 500.
      No ice plant for Assembly Hall. Remodeling plans finalized. I had an acquaintance on the IU club hockey team tell me in 2011 that the university would not consider hockey until they were done with an Assembly Hall replacement/remodel. Last time I was in an ice rink in Bloomington it was city owned and sat at most 500. That was in 2001. IU would need to build an ice arena.
      "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
      -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        I just don't see the ACHA as equal to NCAA hockey. Sure there may be talent at the ACHA Division 1 level, but I think of them as below Div 3 NCAA sports.
        While there are some talented players, ACHA D1 is wayyy below D3. There were several straight recent years where the D1 club champion was invited to a D3 holiday tournament, and went 0-2, with blowouts involved.

The biggest thing is probably the coaching and quality of systems, but there is also a big talent gap.

r
        Last edited by cetihcra; 03-12-2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Liberty is adding on to its rink to have over 3000 seats, including chairbacks and suites. Not typical behavior for club teams. Is Liberty an unannounced future member of Atlantic Hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            If ASU joins the Big Ten I will be sorely disappointed, but not surprised.
            I have to believe that's the way it's going to go. As a UND fan, and fan of the NCHC, I personally hope it goes that way. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I think it will be better for the conference if ASU doesn't join.

First, I don't want to have a 9 team conference, and I don't want to engage in a scramble just to add a 10th. I know some have suggested Notre Dame as a 10th, but I don't see that happening, and they add pretty much the same problem as ASU. That problem is this. They just don't fit with our current NCHC schools. They are not similar institutions. They are not traditional rivals of any of our schools in anything. Basically they would use the NCHC as a place to park their program until a better offer comes along.

I am really hoping they go another way, most likely, the B1G.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Star2City View Post
              Liberty is adding on to its rink to have over 3000 seats, including chairbacks and suites. Not typical behavior for club teams. Is Liberty an unannounced future member of Atlantic Hockey?
              I've heard this rumour a few times. Would have been more interesting if Falwell were still with us and went to away games.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                I've heard this rumour a few times. Would have been more interesting if Falwell were still with us and went to away games.
                I wonder what their TV contract would look like. Could they piggyback on all those affiliates on Sunday mornings?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                  I wonder what their TV contract would look like. Could they piggyback on all those affiliates on Sunday mornings?
                  Maybe they'll get a contract with ABC Family, or whatever CBN is called now.

Wait, that's the same company that owns ESPN. Maybe TBN...

Can't wait to see them get in the Café, though... Rover and Scooby would lose their minds.

Comment

How come?

I actually don't have a feeling adding ASU to the B1G- and based on other not complete sports that are B1G, this would almost be expected.

Maybe I'm numb over the addition of Nebraska, Maryland, and Rutgers.

Based on the school size and bulk of athletic budget, they are very much a fit for the B1G and that's pretty much it.

Comment

While I understand where you're coming from, I think such an alliance might prove to be a positive for a period of time. For me, the greater problem for the B1G is that 6 teams is just too small for a conference. We need some temporary partners until more B1G schools are ready to join us. For ASU, the problem is that they temporarily need a place to play until other PAC-12 schools follow their lead.

A couple of loose analogies:

1. The old NFC Central featured four Midwestern teams -- and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The arrangement gave Tampa a landing place in the NFL. My recollection is that the Midwestern NFL teams had no objections to an annual trip to Florida. I'm guessing the players and coaches of B1G Hockey would be fine with a once-a-season trip to AZ. Obviously the NFL continued to grow, and the Bucs eventually found a better geographical fit. But as a temporary, mid-range solution, the NFC Central worked out fine.

2. Back in the '80s the WCHA played an interlocking schedule with Hockey East for a few seasons. True, that amount of regular season travel didn't make sense for the long run. But Hockey East was a fledgling league at the time, and games with the Western schools put them on a nice track to national credibility. (as opposed to a steady diet of former ECAC conference mates) For the WCHA, the situation was exactly what the B1G now faces: Six teams is just too small. So the interlock was a scheduling solution for both sides. When the benefits ran their course, it went away. I'd call that a success story.

Perfect analogies? No. But reasons to believe that an alliance with ASU might have some positives? I say yes.

Comment

Working...
                      X