Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alfablue
    replied
    Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Originally posted by MichFan View Post
    Not true. Touching it isn't enough. See the quote of the rules in this thread:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?p=4728342
    He did have possession- Lynch dug it out from beneath him. Think about if that had been a stick from a D guy that he had to fight it for. Same thing.

I know it sucks, but the puck was cleanly beneath the goalie, and he had it.

It's one of those things that if there wasn't a penalty, then we'd have a lot more to complain about.

Leave a comment:

• streaker
    replied

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
    ANY touching of the puck by a Miami player would have resulted in a whistle; there was a delayed penalty on them. People keep harping on whether the puck was covered up or not; that wasn't the issue. It didn't NEED to be covered up for the whistle to blow, only touched by a Miami player (which it obviously was).
    No, not just touched- under control. That is the rule. The official couldn't see it anyway, he had his right arm in the air and the other one holding his throat, while he was twenty feet away in the corner. He lost sight of the puck and blew it dead, a gross mis-judgment considering how the same official allowed play to continue earlier for Miami to basically bang a puck under Hunwick who held it under his pad. At least he was in the proper position that time. Makes me wonder what the other official was doing, and why there are four of them out there.

The puck ricocheted off of Knapp, and no other Miami player controlled it until Lynch put it in.

Calling of Penalties
    SECTION 9. a. If an infraction of the rules is committed by a player of the
    side in possession of the puck, the appropriate on-ice official shall blow
    the whistle immediately and a referee shall assess the penalties.

Furthermore:

If, after the referee has signaled a penalty (but before the whistle has been
    blown)
    , the puck enters the goal of the non-offending team as the direct
    result of the action of a player of that team, the goal shall be allowed and
    the penalty signaled shall be assessed.
    c. The appropriate on-ice official shall use a “delayed whistle” when a
    foul is committed against the team in possession of the puck, thereby
    HR-50 RULE 4 / PENALTIES
    postponing the stoppage of play until the offending team shall have
    possession and control of the puck.
    The last player to control the puck, other than the goalkeeper, is the
    last player to be deemed in possession of the puck. Control of the puck is
    defined as the act of propelling the puck with the stick, hand or skate.
    Possession and control is not a rebound off the goalkeeper, an opposing
    player, the goal or the boards or any incidental contact with the body or
    equipment of an opposing player. Batting the puck with the hand or kicking
    the puck is considered to be controlling the puck. Touching the puck (e.g.,
    poke check or deflection) is not considered control of the puck.

Michigan had enough chances to win this game, and Knapp was the difference, except on this play which should have ended the game. Tough loss when you take the #1 team to overtime, pretty well play them even and get screwed like this.

Leave a comment:

• MichFan
    replied

Originally posted by Chris_NH View Post
    ANY touching of the puck by a Miami player would have resulted in a whistle; there was a delayed penalty on them. People keep harping on whether the puck was covered up or not; that wasn't the issue. It didn't NEED to be covered up for the whistle to blow, only touched by a Miami player (which it obviously was).
    Not true. Touching it isn't enough. See the quote of the rules in this thread:

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?p=4728342
    Last edited by MichFan; 03-29-2010, 07:56 AM. Reason: Forgot hyperlink

Leave a comment:

• wolverine318
    replied

There is no God.

******* width="320" height="265">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8A3M-d_eIqo&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8A3M-d_eIqo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265">

Leave a comment:

• Chris_NH
    replied

Originally posted by Maineiak View Post
    Sorry to all the Michigan fans that had to experience the waved off goal by Hockey East's own Gravallese due to an early whistle. Those of us in Hockey East can sympathize...

Leave a comment:

• kjaskolski
    replied

Well, where to begin. After attending the games this weekend, and getting back into Ann Arbor at nearly 2:30 AM (thanks to NC$$ for scheduling the game at 8:05 on a Sunday night and having so many TV Timeouts) this wolverine fan is dissapointed in the result, but not in the effort. Boy, if this team had played like this all year, we maybe dont have to beat a Miami to get the Frozen Four. For the first time since this late season run started, Michigan did not get the breaks, did not get the "puck luck" that Red always talks about.

I posted last weekend that no matter if they totally flamed out against Bemidji, or "lost a heart-breaker" to Miami, that is was all gravy. What a ride this team gave us, it is a shame to lose it like that. Again, a quick whistle plays into the result, but you know what, they had PLENTY of additional opportunities to win it (cross bar, and a couple of other near misses). Knapp just did what he had to do, and made Blasi look like a genius by playing him over Reichard.

I hope nobody on the team feels too bad, yes it hurts, but this was a hell of a run, one that this longtime fan will remember for a long time. Unfortunatley it will eventually fall into the pool of near misses and haertbreak in the NCAA tourney.

Things are looking up for the program, pending any offseason defections. Should be an interesting fight for the starting goalie next year.

Go Blue!!

Leave a comment:

• Onion Man
    replied

You guys got screwed hard by the zebras and should be preparing to play Boston College on Thursday night.

Leave a comment:

• owslachief
    replied

While I wouldn't pull for Michigan if you held a gun to my head - I've got to say that was a BRUTAL way to get cheated out of a winning goal. I would've been satisfied with being an instant Boston College fan

Leave a comment:

• Maineiak
    replied

Sorry to all the Michigan fans that had to experience the waved off goal by Hockey East's own Gravallese due to an early whistle. Those of us in Hockey East can sympathize...

Leave a comment:

• alfablue
    replied

that was a painful ending, that could have just as easily ended in the 3rd period, or better for us in OT1. Just sucked the happiness out of me.

But I'm not going to try to dwell on it too much. The only "bad" thing I'll say is that Michigan didn't exactly earn the right to write their own regional, and that left us with having to beat Miami to get to Detroit.

Thank you team for rallying around the back up goalie, and playing like we all thought you could. Thank you for giving us optimism when we were a group of pessimists. Thank you for giving us hope when we had already given up.

That was one fun ending to the season. I just have to remember that the only way to always not lose your last game is to not play it. One must risk ending the season like that to end a season like we have 9 previous times.

Still it's going to hurt for a while.

Leave a comment:

• bluevox
    replied

Originally posted by speekeasy8 View Post
    What a great ride the last month was! At the beginning of the month, I don't think a single one of us would've thought Michigan's season would end in double overtime of a NCAA regional final.

Just an incredible month of hockey! I'm excited for next season!
    It is hard to be postive right now, but I agree with your sentiment. We had a great run that no-one, myself included, ever saw coming. Way to go, boys. I am sad with the result of last night's game, but happy for the last 6 weeks.

Leave a comment:

• speekeasy8
    replied

What a great ride the last month was! At the beginning of the month, I don't think a single one of us would've thought Michigan's season would end in double overtime of a NCAA regional final.

Just an incredible month of hockey! I'm excited for next season!

Leave a comment:

• UMICHhockeyRULZ
    replied

Originally posted by NDHockey9 View Post
    You have a to have a tough physical team to be a great team but Michigan showed again this year you don't have to do the other crap that takes place at 3 schools in the CCHA.
    Should I take a guess at what schools you are speaking of?

Leave a comment:

• NDHockey9
    replied

It's not the "cool" thing to do as a Notre Dame fan to root for Michigan. But I sincerly want to wish Big Blue the best. I have always had great respect for Michigan hockey and that doubled this year.

Having going through the goon portion of our schedule...we came to Michigan with 4 defenseman. In that 2 game series in December and in the 2 games in late February...not once did a Michigan player try to "take advantage" of our depleted defense core. Those 4 games were clean and both programs should be applauded for how they play the game. You have a to have a tough physical team to be a great team but Michigan showed again this year you don't have to do the other crap that takes place at 3 schools in the CCHA.

Good luck Michigan..I wish you nothing but the best tonight and in Detroit.

Leave a comment:

• KC8NIY
    replied

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    But none of that matters- this is such a great gift they are giving the fans right now.
    I really don't have much to say right now. Just enjoying the ride while it lasts. There'll be plenty of time for discussion later.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X