Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Originally posted by wooderson View Post
    Any thoughts on the Ferris series from the peanut gallery? Is it delusional/condescending to Ferris to expect a sweep? This is about the time last year when Michigan really turned it on, looks like we might need a repeat of that to keep the tournament streak going.

I don't know much about the Bulldogs this year except that they seem to be pretty good based on their record. Not a lot of wins against good opponents though. Is it a mirage or are they really a NCAA Tournament-level team?
    Ferris typically gives Michigan fits, and this year appears that they are playing as a team and getting good goal-tending. Unfortunately Michigan still seems as if they are an All Star team that hasn't gelled. And then of course there is the Dr. Jeykll/Mr. Hyde persona of Billy.

Their fans are talking about sweeping Michigan (I don't see it but give a dawg its fantasy)....
    Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't know why it's so hard to see a Ferris sweep- they have been playing better than we have....

If they get a lead, and we let the goalie make a lot of easy saves, it will be a long weekend.

And unlike the past years when we had Jekel and Hyde teams, we are leaning far more on the pessimistic side of play than the optimistic.

Hogan may be playing better, but he's still not where I think we wants to be.
      Summers is still struggling with the C.
      Cappy- not even sure what's going on there.
      The only group of players who are strong at the moment is Rust and Hagelin.
      Everyone else? No idea what's going to happen.

And that's why they play the games.

Comment

I think I'm tired of being a pessimist this season. My guess is we'll split this weekend. I don't think Michigan is as bad a team as the record indicates. We all know there is talent on this team, it just shows frustration at times, and a few soft goals against every now and then.

The losses typically aren't bad, though. Ok, as a Michigan fan, I believe any loss is bad. But we play close games. Look at this past Saturday, came back from a 2 goal deficit to tie.

I'm still holding on to my string of hope. It's not a 'national title' string, but rather a, 'please let us make the tournament' string. I foolishly looked at the pairwise to see Michigan up to number 17. I then noticed that we have played or will play 4 of the teams ranked 21-25, and the whole "it's January "thing....so I'm attempting to quiet my hope....but it's there.
        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
        7 B1G
        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
          Ferris typically gives Michigan fits, and this year appears that they are playing as a team and getting good goal-tending. Unfortunately Michigan still seems as if they are an All Star team that hasn't gelled. And then of course there is the Dr. Jeykll/Mr. Hyde persona of Billy.

Their fans are talking about sweeping Michigan (I don't see it but give a dawg its fantasy)....
          No, we're not talking about sweeping Michigan. We haven't done that since 1985.

I'll see some of you Friday night.
          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Rulz, I know it's a freudian slip, but you meant "Bryan" not "Billy"... right?

Oh, and this addition of the Ferris Bulldawgs are as good as advertised. May be better than their team with Kunitz. Sounds like they can score in bunches and roll four lines. Their goaltending has been solid, too. I think Miami put it to them on account of tying them twice and losing shootouts in Oxford, then having the Robert Morris sweep happen. I expect that Ferris will come in to Yost on Friday with the same chip on the shoulder mentality and a swagger of confidence. Their fans also suggest that their blue line corps is one of the best around.

Would be nice to think Michigan can put a full 60 minutes together in both games. Heard Billy Powers on TKA yesterday, and he only lamented the undisciplined play- either suggesting that the game is being called tighter, or basically telling fans that you can't "practice" discipline no matter how it is coached. That is really my only complaint with this team- all of the penalties, especially when down 5x4 already. He even commented that Michigan started the game better Saturday than Friday, but UA got most of the early breaks, like Michigan did Friday.

Hogan is playing better since the GLI. The offense is still centered around the first line, although our defensemen are helping the cause finally. Our defensive coverage is still loose- like the first goal Saturday- yes, Langlais threw a blind pass because he was rushed and should have taken it behind the net, but if his forwards would have gotten back to help he would have had an outlet. The penalties... it hasn't changed since October.

I expect a split, but Michigan will have to play mistake free against a team that has put it all together this season to get it. Win the first game, anything can happen. Knowing the CCHA, though, this will be minimized to another momentum sapping penalty fest.

Comment

Michigan's Hockey Season....Juggling Inconsistency

Not really sure what you will get on a given night....
              -Too many dumb, cheap, unnecessary penalties that don't prevent scoring chances...
              -A soft goal or two
              -returning "scorers" who are just not scoring

It would be nice to bench Lebler for his penalties, but that luxury may not be there given the lack of depth at forward with Czarnik gone. (By the way, Czarnik looks good in Plymouth averaging 1 ppg playing along side another former verbal commit AJ Jenks.) The team can't play Rohrkemper and Ciraulo on the 4th line against good competition. Lebler's second penalty on Saturday that led to the 5x3 powerplay was just cheap as he stuck his skate blade out to trip the Alaska d-man behind the Alaska net, 180 feet away from M's net. Lebler is on pace to have his best offensive season, probably the only senior to do so from the trio of Summers and Kampfer.

I've had it with Llewellyn too. I think he was benched for the Western weekend after his GLI performance on defense. Then returned for the Alaska weekend and may have changed the outcome with his penalty to make it 5v3.
              Play Pateryn as the sixth defenseman.

At least Langlais attoned for his first goal mistake by scoring the game tying goal.

What's so different about Ferris State this year? Playing as a team with improved goaltending and defense, and its trio of 24 year old senior forwards are having their best seasons as seniors. As far as Ferris State, this could easily go either way. Expect each team to win on home ice. It's time for Hogan to steal a win for this team.

Comment

FWIW, Jason Paul wrote on his blog that the Michigan Daily reported Scooter had a shoulder injury which may be why he didn't play against Alaska. I hope it is nothing serious, as Alnike mentioned using the diminutive Ciraulo or Rohrkemper on the fourth line sets up a mismatch for teams with size. Can't yank a guy like Lebler for that option. You can bench him, though.

Can't say why Pateryn isn't playing much over Llewellyn. Lewy and Lebler had a good game Friday, so it made sense that he and Lebler were both in Saturday.

Yes, the depth has hurt this team, especially when guys like Caporusso and Wohlberg disappear.

Comment

Actually, I didn't report that. Someone left a comment that The Michigan Daily reported Scooter was injured.

However, I did report today that Michigan recruit Jacob Fallon has left the U.S. NTDP. His name is no longer on the roster on the USA Hockey website and The Pipeline Show w/ Dean Millard and Guy Flaming reported he voluntarily left the program. No idea where his Michigan status lies.

The other three kids involved--Matthew Nieto and Michigan recruits Jon Merrill and Kevin Clare--are suspended until the end of the month according to Millard.
                  Michigan Hockey Net
                  Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
                    Actually, I didn't report that. Someone left a comment that The Michigan Daily reported Scooter was injured.

However, I did report today that Michigan recruit Jacob Fallon has left the U.S. NTDP. His name is no longer on the roster on the USA Hockey website and The Pipeline Show w/ Dean Millard and Guy Flaming reported he voluntarily left the program. No idea where his Michigan status lies.

The other three kids involved--Matthew Nieto and Michigan recruits Jon Merrill and Kevin Clare--are suspended until the end of the month according to Millard.
                    Yes, thanks for the correction, it was a comment left by a reader. Good stuff, anyway- even if the news is somewhat disturbing concerning the USDTP recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                      I've had it with Llewellyn too. I think he was benched for the Western weekend after his GLI performance on defense. Then returned for the Alaska weekend and may have changed the outcome with his penalty to make it 5v3.
                      Play Pateryn as the sixth defenseman.
                      I haven't quite had it with Lllewellyn, but man, what a bad year. Averaging a penalty per game, usually of the 'not-very-smart' variety, with only 6 points on the board just isn't a good place to be. He has as many penalties as he does shots, and the lone goal is an ENG. Combine that with some turnovers, poor decisions which lead to an odd-man rush, and just getting burned, well....ouch.

However, even through all of the bad penalties, it's only directly cost us two goals against, including this past weekend. That's not to say it hasn't put the team in a bad position or turned momentum, but last Saturday is the only game his penalties may have directly cost us. I have to at least credit that. And the fact that he's straight even in plus/minus through all of this. The team worst? AJ with -7.

While there is zero difference offensively, I would still figure that Pateryn is a better choice at this point. He stays out of the box, and isn't prone to the same type of miscues. I'm sure the coaching staff has been trying everything to right the ship with Llewellyn, but playing him hasn't done anything to bring back some of the confidence he's undoubtably lost this year. At least it sure doesn't appear so from an outside perspective.

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post

I too wonder how, if at all, this would affect Fallon's status? We don't exactly have a track record of having to deal with disciplinary issues, especially prior to a commit setting foot on campus. I would imagine that some groundrules are significantly highlighted in a discussion of what is best for him and the program.

Originally posted by Streaker
                      Yes, the depth has hurt this team, especially when guys like Caporusso and Wohlberg disappear.
                      Originally posted by alnike
                      It would be nice to bench Lebler for his penalties, but that luxury may not be there given the lack of depth at forward with Czarnik gone
                      Honestly, I don't feel at all like there's a lack of depth on this team. Guys like Ciraulo and Rohrkemper have always been the type of guys who rotate in and out. There's no drop off there compared to previous years. The problem, in my opinion, is the lack of go-to guys. As you mentioned, Caporusso and Wohlberg have basically disappeared this year, and you can't expect to be successful when the playmakers and snipers aren't there to be effective offensively. Right now we generally have a bunch of setup guys who want to set up other setup guys. Our leading scorer is Borking it up with 12 goals and 27 points through 24 games, and no one else has ten goals or better. THAT is not typical Michigan hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
                        I too wonder how, if at all, this would affect Fallon's status? We don't exactly have a track record of having to deal with disciplinary issues, especially prior to a commit setting foot on campus. I would imagine that some groundrules are significantly highlighted in a discussion of what is best for him and the program.
                        Well, the other issue is, what are Fallon's options for the rest of the season? The kid already missed the first half of the season due to an alcohol-related suspension. Comes back for nine games, and now he's done with the NTDP. I don't know if he can go to the USHL or (hopefully not) major junior route, but I can't imagine him sitting out another 2-3 months in what's an important development year for him. And it's also his draft year.
                        Michigan Hockey Net
                        Follow MHNet on Twitter

NMUKat82 to my dog Cinnamon: Will you stop eyeballing my crotch like you're expecting something tasty to come out???

NMU Hockey: No Focke. No Scharge. The curse has been lifted and the turnaround begins!

"'Tech' means nerd, and nerds suck at sports." - Stephen Colbert

Comment

I haven't quite had it with Lllewellyn, but man, what a bad year. Averaging a penalty per game, usually of the 'not-very-smart' variety, with only 6 points on the board just isn't a good place to be. He has as many penalties as he does shots, and the lone goal is an ENG. Combine that with some turnovers, poor decisions which lead to an odd-man rush, and just getting burned, well....ouch.

However, even through all of the bad penalties, it's only directly cost us two goals against, including this past weekend. That's not to say it hasn't put the team in a bad position or turned momentum, but last Saturday is the only game his penalties may have directly cost us. I have to at least credit that. And the fact that he's straight even in plus/minus through all of this. The team worst? AJ with -7.

While there is zero difference offensively, I would still figure that Pateryn is a better choice at this point. He stays out of the box, and isn't prone to the same type of miscues. I'm sure the coaching staff has been trying everything to right the ship with Llewellyn, but playing him hasn't done anything to bring back some of the confidence he's undoubtably lost this year. At least it sure doesn't appear so from an outside perspective.

Honestly, I don't feel at all like there's a lack of depth on this team. Guys like Ciraulo and Rohrkemper have always been the type of guys who rotate in and out. There's no drop off there compared to previous years. The problem, in my opinion, is the lack of go-to guys. As you mentioned, Caporusso and Wohlberg have basically disappeared this year, and you can't expect to be successful when the playmakers and snipers aren't there to be effective offensively. Right now we generally have a bunch of setup guys who want to set up other setup guys. Our leading scorer is Borking it up with 12 goals and 27 points through 24 games, and no one else has ten goals or better. THAT is not typical Michigan hockey.
                          All good points. I do have to take issue with one thing, though.

Llewellyn's (and Lebler's for that matter) miscues may not always affect Michigan on the scoreboard, BUT.. how much momentum does taking a dumb penalty after dumb penalty sap off of the bench, especially after fighting back to tie the game? (Almost as much as a soft goal, or a defensive turnover??) How much does it disrupt the cycle of lines... since we know who kills penalties on this team? I think it has adversely affected the offense because we can't have the same guys out there the whole freakin' period killing penalties and expect the third and fourth line guys to score while our top line (and Glendening) are sucking wind on the bench. Case in point- after being down 3-1, our top lines double shifted in the latter part of the 2nd period it seemed, and really put on a ton of pressure, finally culminating in Lynch's goal. But, it also took alot of energy from them to do that, and it showed in the third period, especially with Alaska putting the sleeper hold on our defense, pounding the puck in and forechecking. They seemed to perk up after Langlais tied the game and owned OT (unless you want to skip Petovello's shot off of the post.)

Somehow they knew they needed to win in OT and didn't. The shootout was really poor b/c IMO, I think our guys were gassed.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                            All good points. I do have to take issue with one thing, though.

Llewellyn's (and Lebler's for that matter) miscues may not always affect Michigan on the scoreboard, BUT.. how much momentum does taking a dumb penalty after dumb penalty sap off of the bench, especially after fighting back to tie the game? (Almost as much as a soft goal, or a defensive turnover??) How much does it disrupt the cycle of lines... since we know who kills penalties on this team? I think it has adversely affected the offense because we can't have the same guys out there the whole freakin' period killing penalties and expect the third and fourth line guys to score while our top line (and Glendening) are sucking wind on the bench. Case in point- after being down 3-1, our top lines double shifted in the latter part of the 2nd period it seemed, and really put on a ton of pressure, finally culminating in Lynch's goal. But, it also took alot of energy from them to do that, and it showed in the third period, especially with Alaska putting the sleeper hold on our defense, pounding the puck in and forechecking. They seemed to perk up after Langlais tied the game and owned OT (unless you want to skip Petovello's shot off of the post.)

Somehow they knew they needed to win in OT and didn't. The shootout was really poor b/c IMO, I think our guys were gassed.
                            Agreed on all counts. Those were the indirect reasons that I didn't want to get into, but it's absolutely cost us. Just trying to find some silver lining.

As an aside, I've been editing video of televised games from the first half (for a year-end youtube production I anticipate making), and the mistakes are amplified even more when you watch 3-4 games in one day.

I'm not as down on Lebler as a lot of others appear to be. He's definitely taken some dumb penalties, but at least his play otherwise has been able to atone for some of those mistakes. His only fault are those ill-timed penalties that sometimes make you shake your head. From having no expectation of seeing him get a routine shift, I think he's come along really well in his role. Heh, he has more goals than Louie.

Comment

I'm not as down on Lebler as a lot of others appear to be. He's definitely taken some dumb penalties, but at least his play otherwise has been able to atone for some of those mistakes. His only fault are those ill-timed penalties that sometimes make you shake your head. From having no expectation of seeing him get a routine shift, I think he's come along really well in his role. Heh, he has more goals than Louie.
                              And Louie hasn't been benched, either, which is really haunting me. Is this guy already on his way out next year?? Seems to me that he is a little more playful with the media and such than Palushaj ever was, but this has all the earmarks of an early departure- even though his numbers really don't support it. Good analogy describing the "set-up" men setting up the other "set-up" men. Even the wing man at the bar wants to score once in awhile, even if it is with an ugly girl.

I just hope Lebler and Lewy leave their stupid pills alone this weekend. Ferris doesn't need any help and they'll probably be happy to oblige any act of intimidation, after all, isn't the average age of their seniors like 29??

Comment

This really is hilarious: for once we're worried about taking more untimely penalties than Ferris. My, how the tables have turned this year

As for Louie, I'm not sure. Given his level of play, I think a departure would be a mistake. It would be wise for him to stay and prove that he can be as good as those Italian-Canadians who came before him. Unless it's an issue of team chemistry and he'd rather go develop in the AHL. Palushaj hasn't exactly been ripping it up in Peoria.

Comment

Working...
                                X