Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Anyone want to talk about the Nanooks?

This series (and the next two after) will expose Michigan I think. Would be real hard to swallow a sweep considering that Miami did that, and MSU won the first half of their sweep at Yost.

If Michigan doesn't play with a little more discipline and much better defensive coverage it is a possibility. Greenham is also not going to make the mistakes that Hogan has this season.

I see two tight one goal games. My heart says Michigan sweep, my head says split. Throw out the past results at Yost. I don't think this Alaska squad much cares.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
      Greenham is also not going to make the mistakes that Hogan has this season.
      Greenham played well in the first 2 games of the year. Granted, one would hope a goalie looks decent against Mercyhurst.

I'm hoping Michigan can score one early in each game. (or even just score one...earlier game vs. Fairbanks had 23 SOG, 0 goals) Would help a lot. As would solid goaltending by Hogan.

blah, blah, blah...score more goals than the other team.

Go Blue!
      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
      7 B1G
      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
      2 Alaskan

Comment

Anyone want to talk about the Nanooks?

This series (and the next two after) will expose Michigan I think. Would be real hard to swallow a sweep considering that Miami did that, and MSU won the first half of their sweep at Yost.

If Michigan doesn't play with a little more discipline and much better defensive coverage it is a possibility. Greenham is also not going to make the mistakes that Hogan has this season.

I see two tight one goal games. My heart says Michigan sweep, my head says split. Throw out the past results at Yost. I don't think this Alaska squad much cares.
        I'm still more worried about Hogan's mental state more than anything else. IIRC, in quite a few of the games we've lost, we outplayed the other team but a few bad goals...

It's almost as if a few bad goals against Hogan leads to poor shooting and O for our guys.

Discipline is always a big deal- more puck than penalties for me. If they don't have good puck discipline, that always leads to bad penalties.... Summers needs to get out of whatever funk is over him, and play simple passes and whatnot in the zone. It's too late to worry about points for the season, but not too late to worry about the tournament.

Alaska has played us pretty tough at home recently. I'm sure they are not shaking in their skates. Well, except I saw that it was -40 there a few days ago...

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Alaska has played us pretty tough at home recently. I'm sure they are not shaking in their skates. Well, except I saw that it was -40 there a few days ago...
          I thought I saw some stat that suggests Michigan has swept 7 out of the last 8 series at Yost. I don't think that is right- IIRC, UA has come in and split quite a few series in the past decade, but has never swept Michigan.

Just the same, they must have enjoyed those single digit temps in Omaha, and then our sorta Arctic temps until the last day or two. Seriously, though, nobody is fearing Michigan anymore, and Yost just isn't that intimidating. Better here then up there, though. It isn't like UA is lighting the world on fire their last eight games.

Comment

I'm still more worried about Hogan's mental state more than anything else.
            I said that about Montoya back in the day and was riddiculled for it. Guess what? I was right. Good observation alfa...
            Go Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UMICHhockeyRULZ View Post
              I said that about Montoya back in the day and was riddiculled for it. Guess what? I was right. Good observation alfa...
              We all said that back in the day, especially after he tried to hang his stick up there by the 1951 National Championship banner, in the middle of the 2nd period, one night.
              Last edited by Hammer; 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM.
              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                We all said that back in the day, especially after he tried to hang his stick up there by the 1951 National Championship banner, in the middle of the 2nd period, one night.
                With Al is was mostly female problems. **** women...
                Last edited by UMICHhockeyRULZ; 01-14-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                  I get your point...

better yet, your real point should be as follows. Clearly we have a kid(other 3 first time) who has serious issues and needs help. To keep pretending hockey is so important and that if a kid can score, we will look the other way is insulting to the program and the kid. To lock up over 200K in scholorship money on a player who was suspended in September, comes back and can't last 3 or 4 weeks without getting nailed again is absurd.
                  Any 17 year old kid doing this needs help, not a scholorship
                  Thanks Dr. Phil. Now how about we drop this eh? We've had enough people ripping on the guys that are actually on the team that we really don't need more people coming over and trashing recruits that haven't even stepped on campus yet.

And if you really want to be insulted about looking the other way on talented kids, why don't you take a look at who is leading the nation in goals scored right now?

Comment

I thought I saw some stat that suggests Michigan has swept 7 out of the last 8 series at Yost. I don't think that is right- IIRC, UA has come in and split quite a few series in the past decade, but has never swept Michigan.

Just the same, they must have enjoyed those single digit temps in Omaha, and then our sorta Arctic temps until the last day or two. Seriously, though, nobody is fearing Michigan anymore, and Yost just isn't that intimidating. Better here then up there, though. It isn't like UA is lighting the world on fire their last eight games.
                    Your memory serves you well!

Swept 07-08
                    Split 05-06
                    Swept 04-05
                    Swept 02-03
                    Split 01-02
                    Split 00-01
                    Won 98-99 (single home game)
                    Won 97-98 (single home game)
                    Swept 96-97 playoffs
                    Won 96-97 (single home game)
                    Swept 95-96 (3 home games)

The thing that surprises me most about this version of Alaska is their offensive output. They're third in conference scoring, behind OSU and Ferris (which is scary in itself), while being a middling defensive team. That could pose problems, given our propensity to give up some weak goals while not providing the firepower at the other end.

I'd love to think this weekends results would show us with another six points in hand, but that's never a safe assumption this year. As you said, thinking with the heart versus the head. Split all the way, and just hope we're proven wrong.

Comment

Nice win- good thing we got those 3 quick goals- Alaska was carrying the play for quite a while.

Nice shut out for Hogan- who didn't look shaky all night.

Hope we can carry that to tomorrow.

Comment

Is there any online video feed for the game tonight?

Comment

Is there any way that we, as fans, can bench Lebler? While he had a great night last night- those penalties tonight just broke the game up badly.

And that 3-5 and 4-5 was very sad- it's pretty rare that you see a goal in both penalties- but that's what ended up winning it for Alaska....

Comment

Is there any way that we, as fans, can bench Lebler? While he had a great night last night- those penalties tonight just broke the game up badly.

And that 3-5 and 4-5 was very sad- it's pretty rare that you see a goal in both penalties- but that's what ended up winning it for Alaska....
                            It's not just Lebler. Llewellyn took three penalties in less than 2 periods, including the penalty that put them down 5x3. Pateryn must have not shown too well in practice this past week. Either way, the senior leadership displayed last night was disappointing.

You look at their last 12 games, 8-3-1 isn't bad.... but that hole they dug early on is killing them. They had to win tonight, if anything, it was a home game, another chance to keep UA from getting points, and against a team ahead of them. I can't say they played poorly, that would be unfair to UA. But the penalties killed them. The only other glaring mistake was the giveaway by Langlais that led to the first goal.

The shootout was anti-climatic. Give the team credit for clawing back from a 3-1 deficit to salvage at least a point. The extra one point would have been nice, but it doesn't appear that our guys have that uber talented skill player we have had in the past to be real confident in a shootout. I was not surprised that Hagelin and Capo were selected, but I thought Rust would have been sent out over Brown. They seemed to have laid it all out from the latter point of the second, the third and the OT and had nothing left. Also- give Hogan some credit, he held them in- and the team got real lucky in OT, UA rang one off of the inside of the post that would have made this outcome even worse if it went in.

Funny reaction by Greenham after the shootout, too- it appeared directed at the student section- he probably heard an earful after being yanked friday night to being 1st star last night and gave then an "in your face".
                            Last edited by streaker; 01-17-2010, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Agreed that Hogan is playing better. I still think he's not stealing some key chances- but it's a much more confident goalie.

Our offense is odd. One night we get three quick, and the next night, everything is a struggle. We had more than enough chances to take the game, I think.

As for the officiating- that was a pretty bad weekend for the guys in stripes- they missed a lot of penalties on both teams Friday, particularly us. And last night they decided to make up for it.

Comment

Any thoughts on the Ferris series from the peanut gallery? Is it delusional/condescending to Ferris to expect a sweep? This is about the time last year when Michigan really turned it on, looks like we might need a repeat of that to keep the tournament streak going.

I don't know much about the Bulldogs this year except that they seem to be pretty good based on their record. Not a lot of wins against good opponents though. Is it a mirage or are they really a NCAA Tournament-level team?

Comment

Working...
                                X