Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan Hockey 2010 - Delivery or Take Out?

Granted I know shoot-outs are just a gimmicky thing that don't have any application to an actual game...but wasn't that shoot-out on Saturday just a perfect summation of what has gone wrong this season? Very little offensive skill, and goaltending that can be ok but also laughably bad. It's tough to get used to as a Michigan fan because for the past 20 years these aren't problems the team has ever really had. Would you have ever expected a '94-'09 Michigan team to lose a shoot-out? Sure we've had teams that have underperformed or haven't really gelled, but if it ever came down to a shoot-out situation I would take our 3 shooters and 1 goalie against any other team in the country. This year, totally different story. I mean, as the clock ticked down in OT did anybody really think we had a chance in the shoot-out? Yeesh...

However, having gone on that whole rant, I remain optimistic about this weekend. Mostly because, like WT said earlier, I'm just sick of being pessimistic about this team. Blind, possibly naive optimism is much more fun! This weekend is a great opportunity to start a big surge to the finish and if they can pop in an early goal or two on Friday I think they get it done. Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by M-HockeyNet View Post
      However, I did report today that Michigan recruit Jacob Fallon has left the U.S. NTDP. His name is no longer on the roster on the USA Hockey website and The Pipeline Show w/ Dean Millard and Guy Flaming reported he voluntarily left the program. No idea where his Michigan status lies.
      I would surmise, based on this information, that he will not be a wolverine.
      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7
      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by KC8NIY View Post
        Right now we generally have a bunch of setup guys who want to set up other setup guys. Our leading scorer is Borking it up with 12 goals and 27 points through 24 games, and no one else has ten goals or better. THAT is not typical Michigan hockey.

That is, in a nutshell, why I feel they have the record they do. That along with the inconsistency between the pipes.
        Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
        Row 1
        Seats 6 & 7
        Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Sorry about being such a pessimist. I know I should not be.

And I also know that they are all trying to figure out what is going on, so it's not like they really arent trying, no matter what I may imply.

That game on Saturday was very winnable- fix a few key things- mainly penalties- and 1) AK does not get two quick goals, and 2) Michigan's play doesn't get interrupted. So it's not like we are miles away from being a great team.

(even if it feels like it with the record... )

GO BLUE!!!

Comment

Apparently you won't be getting any more guys drafted by the Kings.

http://frozenroyalty.net/2010/01/20/...aft-belatedly/

“This guy has never had any coaching [at the University of Michigan],” Lombardi said. “Jack just did what he wanted.”

“Michigan is the worst.” Lombardi added. “For hockey people, if you’ve got a choice between a kid—all things being equal—one’s going to Michigan and one’s going to Boston University, you all want your player [going to Boston University]. Michigan’s players—[head coach] Red [Berenson] doesn’t coach. It’s ‘do what you want.’ He gets the best players in the country.”

During his two seasons at the University of Michigan, Johnson played as a rover, rather than as a defenseman, even though that was his official position.

“Jack was a thoroughbred out there,” Lombardi explained. “But he was all over the place. He was awful as a hockey player. As an athlete, you’re going, wow! Look at the way he skates, shoots, he can pass. But he had no idea where he was going.”

“At times, he was playing forward at Michigan,” Lombardi elaborated. “You had no idea what position he was playing. But he had always been the star and he always got his numbers. Then he turns pro and for the first time, we’re telling him ‘whoa, just make the first pass and learn to play in your own end.’ How about making a read in your own end about the right guy to pick up? He was awful.”
            I always remembered Johnson as just being uncontrollable. It's not like you can dock his paycheck.

Edit: Of course, Lombardi had no problem with him staying another year back when he traded for him. I'm just waiting for his stupid obsession with being a hardass in contract talks kills the Kings like it did the Sharks.
            Last edited by bronconick; 01-21-2010, 11:38 AM.
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

After reading that, I'm guessing the Kings had some major push to get Czarnik into the OHL.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                Apparently you won't be getting any more guys drafted by the Kings.

http://frozenroyalty.net/2010/01/20/...aft-belatedly/

I always remembered Johnson as just being uncontrollable. It's not like you can dock his paycheck.

Edit: Of course, Lombardi had no problem with him staying another year back when he traded for him. I'm just waiting for his stupid obsession with being a hardass in contract talks kills the Kings like it did the Sharks.
                LOL!!!!

That's EXACTLY how I felt about Jack. OMG. Perhaps not about Red, but I didn't appreciate Jack being able to do what he wanted...

Oh, well, that's in the past. No need to tell the Jack Fanboi's- I told you so. It doesn't help the 2009-2010 team at all.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                  LOL!!!!

That's EXACTLY how I felt about Jack. OMG. Perhaps not about Red, but I didn't appreciate Jack being able to do what he wanted...

Oh, well, that's in the past. No need to tell the Jack Fanboi's- I told you so. It doesn't help the 2009-2010 team at all.
                  Well, that's how we felt about JJ because he was more detrimental to team chemistry than anything. Great offensive talent, but Michigan never got to the promise land with that type of cowboy act. Same could be said for how Comrie and Hensick played at times, but they were fun to watch,too. And yes, I am sure the Kings aren't welcome at Yost after this stunt, and after poaching Cammalari.

Funny the connection with Czarnik/Kings/ OHL. Good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                    LOL!!!!

Pretty harsh words by Lombardi, however he may have a point about coaching at Yost. We have all the talent in the world... still can't get that talent to acheive.

Comment

I am not a fan of double posting, but I've realized that some fans do not check opposing teams/score update threads:

Hey Guys,

Here are the important links from Ferris State's side for this Friday's game at Michigan:

National Television Broadcast - CBS College Sports (Friday & Saturday 8:00pm):

Main CBS College Sports Channels in Detroit area:
                      DirecTV - 613
                      Dish Network - 152
                      Comcast - 734
                      AT&T - Not Carried
                      Charter - Not Carried
                      WOW - Not Carried

Friday:

Online Audio Broadcast FREE (must have realplayer) - http://161.57.5.17/ramgen/broadcast/test.rm

Live Stats - http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/links/e674cx

Live Twitter Feed - www.***********/FerrisHockey

E-Mail the Radio Booth - SportsRadio@Ferris.edu

Saturday:

[B]
                      Last edited by DominicHennig; 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Man that poor guy. It really sucks when you send your guys off to college and you only get back a top 10 NHL goalscorer and an US Olympic team selection. That really is just the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by DominicHennig View Post
                          Stuff about broadcasts...
                          Enjoy and Go Bulldogs!
                          I think that's a perfectly fine double post.

Comment

Ok, time for my optimist to come out.

Lets forget the 2 goals Alaska scored on the 5-3/4. And hope that our penalty situation gets better.

Outside of that, we did score quite well- Friday's game was very impressive. I hope Cappy can find the back of the net to get some shooter in him- he's got the right thing going. AJ can ballance is game, and that line is starting to click together. And Rust + Hagelin is just amazing to watch.

Hogan is playing a lot better- there no question about that. I'm not a goalie person, so can't really comment on his positioning, but I can't fault him on the two PP goals that Ak scored.

The D has gotten a lot better handling the puck in our zone- a lot fewer blind dump passes had reduced the turn overs a lot, and they seem to get the puck out of the slot better.

Should be a fun weekend. I'm not going to worry about the tournament- I'm just going to be entertained by Michigan Hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                              Well, that's how we felt about JJ because he was more detrimental to team chemistry than anything. Great offensive talent, but Michigan never got to the promise land with that type of cowboy act. Same could be said for how Comrie and Hensick played at times, but they were fun to watch,too. And yes, I am sure the Kings aren't welcome at Yost after this stunt, and after poaching Cammalari.

Funny the connection with Czarnik/Kings/ OHL. Good riddance.
                              Maybe I'm being to harsh, but his style of doing what he wanted really seemed to take a lot of gas out of the "team" part of the team. And seeing that he and TJ would not go back to Sauer when they scored just screamed of problems. Oh, well. I promise this will be my last post about Jack Johnson and Michigan. That was then, this is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                                No, we're not talking about sweeping Michigan. We haven't done that since 1985.

I'll see some of you Friday night.

Hammer, come on up to the press box and say hello

Comment

Working...
                                X